An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are tattoos acceptable

Jaime

Are tattoos acceptable  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God Conquers

No need Ice, obviously you're all good.

About the whole graffiti on Venus bit though for Socrates:

I know you're trying to say girls don't need a tattoo to be beautiful, which is DEFINATELY DEFINATELY true. But you've pretty much demeaned all girls who do. And tatoos do not necessarily mar beauty (although huge grotesque ones can and do). A small tasteful and meaningful tattoo is cool on a girl.

son_of_angels

I don't see anything wrong with a decent tatoo, as long as it isn't vulgar or suggestive. Let's not make a list of everything in life and say yes one can do that, no one can't do that. It is self-defeating.

Soc, I didn't get my tattoo to look sexy or cool. I got my tattoo because it has special meaning to me. It's small, tasteful, and not clearly visible to everyone. It in no way mars my beauty. I didn't get the tattoo for anyone else, I got it for ME!

I can't believe only two people voted.
The poll now stands at 100% on that one question - pretty lobsided.

I personally don't like tattoos...they make me think of gangs and harley guys with long gray hair. I know, that's totally stereotypical, but I just can't help but think that way. But, hey, if you like them, knock yourself out.

Glad I chickened out during my wild days....lol....I would have done it for ALL the wrong reasons and totally regretted it!

God Conquers

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 21 2005, 07:48 AM']I can't believe only two people voted.
The poll now stands at 100% on that one question - pretty lobsided.
[right][snapback]617776[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hahahaha

ps It's lopsided. I forgive you b/c I have North Ontarian Francophone friends!

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jun 21 2005, 05:35 PM']hahahaha

ps It's lopsided. I forgive you b/c I have North Ontarian Francophone friends!
[right][snapback]618394[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I sort of like the way lobsided sounds. Maybe it'll be a new trend. Replace the old word! :)

IcePrincessKRS

Today at the BMV (not not DMV, here in OH its not the Department of Motor Vehicles, its the Bureau of Motor Vehicles) there was this larger man covered in tattoos sitting next to me. Genevieve thought he was awesome. I don't think he was really even paying much attention to her, but she was looking at him and cooing and smiling like crazy. I thought it was pretty funny.

IXpenguin21

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jun 20 2005, 01:46 PM']HOWEVER I'm thinking of getting the Virgin of Guadalupe huge on my back so my homies can't ever shoot me from behind, cause then they'd be shooting the Virgin. ANd that's not cool.
[right][snapback]616922[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: :lol:

tattoos are not wrong in themselves. somtimes though, good things in excess can be not so good.

I don't think i would ever get one because of the cost. when i think about the hundreds i'd be laying down to pay for ink in my skin, i think about the good i could do for myself and/or others if i didn't squander my money.

I never thought much about tatoo's one way or the other. Until I got my first one for my fortieth birhtday. It is simply a way that some people choose to express who they are. I SURPRISED MYSELF by getting one and then two.

I have them in areas that are covered and occasionally I forget I have them. Weird huh? Tatoos are not as interesting as the reason people choose the ones they do. That is where the conversations get interesting.

It isn't for everyone obviously. My only problem with getting them is that the whole process is boring. I kept falling asleep.

IcePrincessKRS

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=32727&hl=tattoo"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...32727&hl=tattoo[/url]
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=5533&b=1&st=&p=entry"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...1&st=&p=entry[/url]
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=182&b=1&st=&p=entry"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...1&st=&p=entry[/url]

Since this is a relatively newer thread on tattooing I'm bumping this for St.Michael who brought up the Leviticus 19:28 argument over in Open Mic.

"You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

Leviticus also prohibits men cutting their beards, wearing clothing made of "two kinds of stuff," and planting two kinds of seeds in your fields (so much for the family garden?). Not all that is proscribed in Lev. is absolutely binding anymore. I did a little reading it seems to me that the phrase taken from Leviticus quoted above refers to a pagan practice of cutting and tattooing for the dead, or to please the pagan gods, and not prohibitive of ALL tattooing.

[quote] (from EWTN Q&A)
Dear Jon,

The Church is universal. Now in parts of the world a tattoo is an honored and serious part of the culture. So the Church does not prohibit tattoos in general. It holds to the general principle that the body is sacred. Thus the practice of having a tattoo should not violate this principle. If a particular instance did violate this principle, the tattoo would be wrong. As you see, then, the judgment is on a case by case basis. So one cannot rule out the practice altogether. Neither an one rule it in altogether. It takes the same stance about dancing, card playing, drinking alcohol. It does not rule out these practices totally. Neither does it approve of them totally. Each case must be judged on an individual basis. Those who abuse these practices act immorally. Those who use the in a sane and virtuous manner act morally.

Dr. Geraghty [/quote]

[quote]Is getting a tattoo against church teaching? (i chose this forum cause the others were full.)

Answer by Fr. John Echert on 04-28-2005:
It can be, depending upon it content, location and the intention of the person receiving it. My uncles got tattoos in WWII while in the Navy, of an anchor or something similar; this was commonly done and while they regret it now, with faded colors and the passing of time, it was not a mortal sin when done. But anything intended to be sexually provocative, contrary to religion, or excessive could very well be a mortal sin. Be careful...

Thanks, James

Father Echert [/quote]

And yes, while its true that some of the EWTN experts will discourage getting tattoos none of them say that its altogether, in and of itself, sinful.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS