An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Color Of Jesus

Lil Red

[quote name='dUSt' post='5403' date='Jul 16 2003, 02:32 AM']The Mandylion of Edessa is believed to be the oldest actual portrait of Jesus.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/39bMandylion.jpg/383px-39bMandylion.jpg[/img]

It was said to be copied from a cloth that Jesus used to wash his face. After he used it, an image of his face miraculously appeared on it.

I think this is from around 300AD. I saw it at the Vatican exhibit last week.[/quote]
woah!

[quote name='nippy316' post='5262' date='Jul 15 2003, 11:10 PM']Yes, I mean considering the place he lived and the time period, he was most likely dark skinned. I once watched like a 2 hour special on Discovery all about what the real face of Jesus looked like. He most definitely was not brown haired/blue eyed. But then again, he is God, so he could make himself whatever color he wanted.
nippy316[/quote]

All things considered, as pale as I am, I would be fairly bronzed in a few months under the near equatorial sun.

infinitelord1

jesus had to have looked hebrew which im assuming would be relatively close to arabic.

Personally I dont like it when i see black or white pictures of jesus. Its kind of like seeing a black santa clause. Its really not important what he looked like, but when i see black or white representations of him I think it becomes a racial thing and can be seen as a way to attract people of a similar race. People should be only concerned with how he really looked, and accept that. He prolly looked very similar to a middle eastern person.