An Old School Catholic Message Board

Swim wear

franciscanheart

[quote name='marielapin' date='Jun 21 2005, 12:15 AM']I wear a two piece sport tankini (it has a skirt instead of shorts) that covers me up more than most people I see out on a daily stroll. It has a high neck and a skirt. The shirt does not ride up and it covers up much more than any one piece I have ever owned. Hooray for lands end and their modest bathing suit options (unfortunately which are pricey).
[right][snapback]617640[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yep, Lands End has sporty tankinis and underwire ones which are supportive and modest :) I'm getting a new one from them, after my next paycheck-- -- agree w/ you about their prices ^_^
edit: some Lands End bathing suits are avialble at Sears stores, so they can go on sale, but the selection is limited.

[quote name='Donna' date='Jun 25 2005, 07:59 PM'](((KMS, back atcha)))

Thanks for the tip. Land's End has good stuff, imo.

Also, before I shop, too, I ask Our Lady to help me do it wisely and efficiently.

I should add, that my relaxed dress code is when it's warm, and mostly in my own house and in the yard. "Getting sun" for me is wearing a tank and walking shorts in the yard (sometimes out running). Ppl just look more at you when you wear that stuff in public, and I have enough problems as it is, lol. A nice crisp, thin, woven short-sleeve button down white shirt is the best friend in that situation, just leave it unbuttoned over your tank.

***Dark skinned folks, make sure you get some sun. The darker you are, the more you need to get vit. D. One of the more recent studies show the darkest skinned ppl (especially women of child-bearing years) to be the most deficient. BUT LOOK IT UP for yourselves, to get an idea "how long, how much" sun, to be safe. It seems also that increasing amounts of black ppl are showing signs of depression. Get your D!

One of my docs says that 1/2 an hour to an hour in the sun, depending on skin type and other factors, equals about 10,000 I/U's of vit. D. The US rda for D is like 400 I/U's (scandulously low).

Type "Vitamin D deficiency" under Google, there'll be hits.
[right][snapback]623478[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Donna, thanks for all the info. on Graves, Thtyroid, auto-immunity, and Vitamin D. I did the quick Google search and it came up w/ a study and news articles on how dark-skinned babies who are breastfed might need Vitamin D, and how people w/ Multiple Sclerosis, had better health w/ sun exposure. Interesting stuff, to me since I have an auto-immune disorder(s?) and people in my family w/ thyroid disease.

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Jun 26 2005, 11:04 AM']My fiancee just bought a pair of those cute modest little board shorts and a modest tank.  I dig it, and I don't have to worry about other guys drooling all over her at the beach.

That didn't come out correctly.  She's cute, but not immodest and it's not a frumpy suit.  It doesn't make her look unattractive, just attractive in a modest way.
[right][snapback]624285[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

definately agree, board shorts and tankini top is the way to go. Comfort of a two piece, and covers much more than most one pieces. Plus this is the only choice in my mind for the river, or lake, where you constantly go from swimming/getting wet to out of the water and sitting/ walking around.

disturbedxfairy

it's funny i find this thread seeing as how i'm going to the pool in about half an hour. i have a few thoughts (and hopefully they come out in the way that i intend them too) and a few responses...
[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 19 2005, 08:55 PM']IAlso, on another point, I've hear a lot of (Catholic) girls get all upset whenever a modesty issue is raised, with the reply that "guys need to learn to control themselves." While indeed people should try to culivate purity of mind, females dressing in a way that flaunts their bodies will do nothing but provoke arousal/lust in any healthy male.  No woman should dress immodestly and then try to blame any problem this causes on guys.
[right][snapback]616371[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i do not even want to get started on this topic but i do want to say that while yes girls get upset and say that guys need to learn self-control but also you cannot blame us. when it comes to a modesty issue it is a two way road. girls dress the way they do because that's what they think guys want them to wear, guys stare at these girls, girls see guys staring at these girls and the cycle continues.

[quote name='Nicole8223' date='Jun 21 2005, 10:02 AM']I guess, for me at least, I try to think of what is the purpose of wearing a two-piece (modest tankinis excluded)?  I mean, the purpose of them is to show off your body.  I just don't think it is right.  The reasoning isn't even based on a guy's reaction as much as what is modesty and what is the purpose of the object?  A bathing suit has a purpose, but why two pieces that expose skin?  Even if guys did not struggle with lust, a women should respect her body anyway.
[right][snapback]617874[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i have a tankini but i'll be honest i do wear bikinis most of the time and... [u]i respect my body[/u]. i am slightly insulted that because a girl wears a certain bathing suit that means she doesn't have respect for herself. while that may be true for some, it is not true for all.

[quote name='Luthien' date='Jun 21 2005, 10:19 AM']I don't see how its okay for a dude to show his belly, butt its a mortal sin for a girl to show a little belly in a tankini.

I mean an inch or two of belly doesnt make a girl a temptress, unless her intention is to tempt men. I have a tankini, it doesnt cover all of my stomach. [b]I just liked the way it fit and felt on my body.[/b] [right][snapback]617885[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:clap:

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jun 21 2005, 10:57 AM']Western Europe certainly counts as "Western Culture" and yet topless/nude beaches are significantly more common and accepted in those countries, and they are not thought of as places meant for arousal.
You can say that again...When you're on a beach in Europe and all of a sudden a gang of 65 plus ladies arive having misplaced all bathing attire-you would most definetly come to the conclusion above!
[right][snapback]617919[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i have heard that america is actually one of the prudish countries.

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Jun 21 2005, 12:44 PM']The funny thing is that everyone accuses the religious for wanting to always totally cover up, but it's the secular world's turning of the body into an object that has made it where totally covering up is the only way to preserve modesty.  Even then people can still lust after the covered people.

However, I wouldn't let it totally rule over me.  I can't stand to wear a shirt while swimming.  It's not a modesty issue, rather a comfort issue.  I feel like a wet midget is trying to bring me down when I wear a shirt swimming.  I know girls who wear two-piece swimsuits because the one-piece suits are just uncomfortable or are awkward to wear.  They don't pick their swimwear to entice men to lust.  And we can't criticize people for wanting to look pretty or beautiful either, provided it's not done for scandalous intent.
[right][snapback]618102[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:cheer: thank you!!

there were my two cents. hope it made sense :huh:

I think its ok to wear a tankini or even a bikini so long as its modest. Also, I believe it's not the human body in and of itself that is shameful, but that it's sooooo beautiful and sacred we just have to maintain it's sacredness by covering up and acting w/dignity :D

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jun 30 2005, 03:13 PM']I think its ok to wear a tankini or even a bikini so long as its modest.  Also, I believe it's not the human body in and of itself that is shameful, but that  it's sooooo beautiful and sacred we just have to maintain it's sacredness by covering up and acting w/dignity :D
[right][snapback]628588[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i toally completely agreee!!! modestly is firstly about preserving and honoring the dignity of the person and in safeguarding one's own dignity you will as a result help preserve the dignity of others...Charity is the form, mover, mother, and root of all virtues....(aquinas) so i think as long as your thinking this way and trying to preserve the life of the soul and the life of God in others and yourself, its all good :) so i think this is why modesty is to a large degree in one's bearing...if you want to be immodest, you will be, no matter how much or little you wear

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jun 30 2005, 05:13 PM']I think its ok to wear a tankini or even a bikini so long as its modest.  Also, I believe it's not the human body in and of itself that is shameful, but that  it's sooooo beautiful and sacred we just have to maintain it's sacredness by covering up and acting w/dignity :D
[right][snapback]628588[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

a bikini being modest? :huh: That's not even possible.

[quote name='Dudette' date='Jun 30 2005, 03:34 PM']a bikini being modest? :huh: That's not even possible.
[right][snapback]628608[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
...not neccesarily. doesn't it really depend on cultural context alot...for example a bikini worn on an amish farm or on a date would be immodest...but in the amazon you'd be more clothed than everyone else...we are def. not going to victorian beaches, and we're not swimming with the natives in the amazon...so where are we culturally?...originally, it was illegal in USA to wear a bikini, so a bunch of woman wore them to protest in the 1920s--but what was their demeanor/motive...probly not so good...at least rebeliion was one...i think you are thinking that if one wears a bikini you will automatically be seducing men, but this would only be so if you were flaunting yourself...[i]on the beach today[/i]...every girl, old woman and child is wearing a bikini, at least the beaches i've seen..so in order to be tempting or out of the ordinary, you [i]would really have to try[/i] to make yourself the center of attention... so in cultural context you are not really doing anything immodest...what i would ask is...is a bikini contrary to our dignity, is it inherently reducing you as a person to an object? like i said i think this depends on you, and how you "wield" yourself and what you wear...you can wield yourself immodestly/moedstly no matter what the context

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jun 30 2005, 04:01 PM']...not neccesarily.  doesn't it really depend on cultural context alot...for example a bikini worn on an amish farm or on a date would be immodest...but in the amazon you'd be more clothed than everyone else...we are def. not going to victorian beaches, and we're not swimming with the natives in the amazon...so where are we culturally?...originally, it was illegal in USA to wear a bikini, so a bunch of woman wore them to protest in the 1920s--but what was their demeanor/motive...probly not so good...at least rebeliion was one...i think you are thinking that if one wears a bikini you will automatically be seducing men, but this would only be so if you were flaunting yourself...[i]on the beach today[/i]...every girl, old woman and child is wearing a bikini, at least the beaches i've seen..so in order to be tempting or out of the ordinary, you [i]would really have to try[/i] to make yourself the center of attention... so in cultural context you are not really doing anything immodest...what i would ask is...is a bikini contrary to our dignity, is it inherently reducing you as a person to an object?  like i said i think this depends on you, and how you "wield" yourself and what you wear...you can wield yourself immodestly/moedstly no matter what the context
[right][snapback]628644[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While I'd agree that how one "wields" herself (himself) is an important part of modesty, as is context, I'd disagree with some implications this post (and some others on here) seem to have.

The problem is you seem to be implying that the modesty of the actual clothes (or lack thereof) one wears in public places is basically completely relative, and that it is one's intent that is important. Also, you seem to imply here that if everyone else is dressed a certain way (at the beach, for instance) one is being modest, so long as she dresses the same as everyone else.

As a male, I can attest that an attractive woman wearing little or no clothes will tend to cause sexual arousal (hate to sound crude here, but let's be blunt), and an occasion of lust, no matter how "pure" her thoughts/intentions may be, or how otherwise modest her bearing is.
Also, the "cultural context" issue (though I know you don't intend it as such) is problematic ("If everyone else is doin it . .." ) If everyone is dressing immodestly, does this make it modest if you're dressed the same?

By this logic, why shouldn't everybody just run around in public naked as Adam and Eve? Wy should modesty of dress even be an issue? If we were in an unfallen state it wouldn't be, but being fallen and concupiscent, there are reasons to keep covered to a certain degree in public.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 30 2005, 04:29 PM']While I'd agree that how one "wields" herself (himself) is an important part of modesty,  as is context, I'd disagree with some implications this post (and some others on here) seem to have.

The problem is you seem to be implying that the modesty of the actual clothes (or lack thereof) one wears in public places is basically completely relative, and that it is one's intent that is important.  Also, you seem to imply here that if everyone else is dressed a certain way (at the beach, for instance) one is being modest, so long as she dresses the same as everyone else.

As a male, I can attest that an attractive woman wearing little or no clothes will tend to cause sexual arousal (hate to sound crude here, but let's be blunt), and an occasion of lust, no matter how "pure" her thoughts/intentions may be, or how otherwise modest her bearing is.
Also, the "cultural context" issue (though I know you don't intend it as such) is problematic ("If everyone else is doin it . .." )  If everyone is dressing immodestly, does this make it modest if you're dressed the same?
[right][snapback]628690[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i meant it a tiny bit more complexly than the whole everyone is doing it scenario. i meant more that modesty seems to shift objectvely in cultures history, etc. but yer probly older and wiser than me ;) however you seemed to also make that "bikini causing arousal" somewhat conditional...and if the beautiful attractive girl was wearing another bathing suit woulden't she still cause arousal...or is it just the lack of fabric that does it, sorry not trying to be crude here either...
in the case of bikinis always causing arousal...how would you ever go to the beach? ..just wondering..

[quote]The funny thing is that everyone accuses the religious for wanting to always totally cover up, but it's the secular world's turning of the body into an object that has made it where totally covering up is the only way to preserve modesty.  Even then people can still lust after the covered people.
[/quote]

The religious cover themselves out of true modesty, modesty doesn't have to do with what the culture finds attactive or lustful (a habit is not a burka). Modesty and understanding it has to do with embracing Christ and His Plan. We, as humans, can partake in the gift of modesty as a reflection of the divine reality of Heaven.

Nakedness will be a foreign concept in Heaven. We will have glorified bodies. This is similar to Marriage versus Celibacy. Celibacy and Chastity is a witness to the Divine reality that a wait.

What is the difference between wearing "revealing" (an ironic term for it really reveals nothing about the beauty of a woman) swimwear and ones underwear? This is especially true with most bikinis.

As a man, I can assure you, whether Men want to or not, they will associate a bikini with underwear. Even in the movie 'Clueless,' Cher comments on this saying that men associate skin with sex. For most men this is true.

So, it is a matter of objectifying oneself.

[quote]I feel like a wet midget is trying to bring me down when I wear a shirt swimming.  I know girls who wear two-piece swimsuits because the one-piece suits are just uncomfortable or are awkward to wear.  They don't pick their swimwear to entice men to lust. [/quote]

What kind of cotton shirt do you wear? You might try a surf shirt. Not only are they designed to protect you from harmful rays, they are also light weight and tight-knit so they don weigh you down.

The effects of lust, though not necessarily or consciously chosen, are going to be effects of wearing "revealing" swimwear.

[quote name='Oik' date='Jun 30 2005, 06:30 PM']The religious cover themselves out of true modesty, modesty doesn't have to do with what the culture finds attactive or lustful (a habit is not a burka). Modesty and understanding it has to do with embracing Christ and His Plan. We, as humans, can partake in the gift of modesty as a reflection of  the divine reality of Heaven.

Nakedness will be a foreign concept in Heaven. We will have glorified bodies. This is similar to Marriage versus Celibacy. Celibacy and Chastity is a witness to the Divine reality that a wait.
What is the difference between wearing "revealing" (an ironic term for it really reveals nothing about the beauty of a woman) swimwear and ones underwear? This is especially true with most bikinis.

As a man, I can assure you, whether Men want to or not, they will associate a bikini with underwear. Even in the movie 'Clueless,' Cher comments on this saying that men associate skin with sex. For most men this is true.

So, it is a matter of objectifying oneself.

What kind of cotton shirt do you wear? You might try a surf shirt. Not only are they designed to protect you from harmful rays, they are also light weight and tight-knit so they don weigh you down.

The effects of lust, though not necessarily or consciously chosen, are going to be effects of wearing  "revealing" swimwear.
[right][snapback]628875[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that helps alot...i guess i'm just [i]more[/i] Clueless then Cher, lol...

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jun 30 2005, 05:14 PM']i meant it a tiny bit more complexly than the whole everyone is doing it scenario.  i meant more that modesty seems to shift objectvely in cultures history, etc. but yer probly older and wiser than me ;) however you seemed to also make that "bikini causing arousal" somewhat conditional...and if the beautiful attractive girl was wearing another bathing suit woulden't she still cause arousal...or is it just the lack of fabric that does it, sorry not trying to be crude here either...
in the case of bikinis always causing arousal...how would you ever go to the beach? ..just wondering..
[right][snapback]628795[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You make some good points. This is a controversial subject with plenty of "grey area," and people will always disagree on what exactly is modest or immodest. My point is only that one's actual dress and lack thereof actually does play a large part in modesty and how the opposite sex perceives you and reacts to you (regardless of your intent). (And the amount of skin shown is part of this). It's not ONLY about one's bearing and behavior.

Edited by Socrates

let_go_let_God

I prefer to wear a one piece swim suit. It's modest, and functional. When I go to the beach I wear shorts and a t-shirt and then once changed and ready to swim take a brisk run to the lake so no one see's me out of the water. (I am a little paranoid about how I look, but I am getting better) When my boyfriend and I went swimming last weekend he even said that it was refreshing to see many women at the local beach wearing modest one piece suits instead of bikinis (sp?) For women one piece suits and tankinis are definately cool.

God bless-
LGLG