An Old School Catholic Message Board

another try at spanking poll

Don John of Austria

Does the Government have the Authority to ban spanking? If so should it?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='jmjtina' date='Jun 16 2005, 07:20 PM']No.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/purgatory.asp"]The Catechism of the Catholic Church [/url]defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031).

The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27) and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven.
[right][snapback]613837[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

sorry I just got around to reading this.. I always thought the pennance a priest givesWAS the purification or else, the priest would of never suggested it. It surely has some merit twords this as the sin itself is gone when the priest obsolves you.. but I knew the punihsment was still there.. up until you carry out whatever pennance the priest gave you. (think indulgences)

[quote name='Tony' date='Jun 23 2005, 10:20 PM']sorry I just got around to reading this..  I always thought the pennance a priest givesWAS  the purification or else, the priest would of never suggested it. It surely has some merit twords this as the sin itself is gone when the priest obsolves you.. but I knew the punihsment was still there.. up until you carry out whatever pennance the priest gave you. (think indulgences)
[right][snapback]621251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you thought wrong. Look it up.

apparently the Spurs believe in spankings because the Pistons got spanked tonight!!!!! :cheer:

[b][color=blue]Spurs are the Champs!!!!!!!!!! [/color][/b]

:) did I just hijack this thread?

okay, let me just say it again.

The Pistons got a spanking tonight!!!!! :P

that was good to see.. I didn't want the Pistons to win again, as they were gifted the title last year as the Lakers beat themselves

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Tony' date='Jun 23 2005, 11:20 PM']sorry I just got around to reading this..  I always thought the pennance a priest givesWAS  the purification or else, the priest would of never suggested it. It surely has some merit twords this as the sin itself is gone when the priest obsolves you.. but I knew the punihsment was still there.. up until you carry out whatever pennance the priest gave you. (think indulgences)
[right][snapback]621251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No Absolution does not even take effect until you completle your penance that is a condition for absolution, and rarely does Penance involve much punishment anymore, Penance is part of the sacrament of confession, still punishment must be recieved andd that is what purgation is for.

Don John of Austria

A quote from St. Louis, explaining I think very well the time we may spend in Purgatory. Of Course I suppose when Heaven and Earth Are destroyed so will purgatory be, so Purgation will certianly end when Time does, other than that one could be there a very long Time.

"When a man dies he is healed of leprosy in his body; but when a man who has committed a mortal sin dies he cannot know of a certainty that he has in his lifetime repented in such sort that God has forgiven him; wherefore he must stand in great fear lest that leprosy of sin last as long as God is in Paradise."

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:55 AM']No Absolution does not even take effect until you completle your penance that is a condition for absolution, and rarely does Penance involve much punishment anymore,  Penance is part of the sacrament of confession, still punishment must be recieved andd that is what purgation is for.
[right][snapback]621708[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wrong. Absolution occurs when the priest says: "I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

All that is required on the part of the penitant is sincere repentance and a sincere intention to perform the penance.

For instance if one goes to confession and is killed after he walks out, before he has a chance to perform his penance, his sins are already forgiven, and he dies in a state of grace.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 24 2005, 03:01 PM']Wrong.  Absolution occurs when the priest says: "I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

All that is required on the part of the penitant is sincere repentance and a sincere intention to perform the penance.

For instance if one goes to confession and is killed after he walks out, before he has a chance to perform his penance, his sins are already forgiven, and he dies in a state of grace.
[right][snapback]621812[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've heard the same thing. I've gone to confession right before Mass and my priest has told me it was ok to receive the Eucharist, even though I had not yet completed my penance, so long as I had every intention of doing so afterwards.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

the whole point of the american constituion was to have less government and less laws this is going to far... we are a libertarian country with a conservative moral code.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 24 2005, 01:01 PM']Wrong.  Absolution occurs when the priest says: "I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

[right][snapback]621812[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If he dies with the intent to preform the penance then that would be an absolution by desire,, but if one does die and does not preform the penance then one is NOT absolved.

Wrong again. Jesus Christ, through the priest, absolves sins with the words: "I absolve you from you sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen." The sins are absolved when those words are spoken. Performing the penance itself does not absolve the sin, though he is bound to perform the penance if possible. All that is required by the penitent for his sins to be forgiven is that he have an intention to perform the penance given him.
(Thus he can worthily receive communion after confession, if the penance requires him to do something later, such as go to holy hour that evening.)
If the penitent sincerely intends to perform his penance at the time he recieves absolution but later changes his mind and does not perform it, his previous sins are still forgiven, but by not performing his penance, he has committed mortal sin by this negligence and is no longer in a state of grace.

I have read this in sources by orthodox priests, which unfortunately, I do not currently have with me. I can look it up when I get time. However, until you show me an authoritive, orthodox source that says otherwise, I stand by my words.

I just read this thread.

All you people that brought this thread off topic should be spanked. :angry: Absolution and penance is too good a subject to be lost an confused here.

Conservativecatholic should be put in time-out by his children. :o

Edited by jasJis

• 2 months later...