An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is the 21st century Catholic Church cowardly?

Myles Domini

Is the contemporary Catholic Church cowardly?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What bothers me is people using Humility and Charity as an excuse not to defend and uphold the faith. People should also keep in mind that Christ did not come to bring peace but the sword. We had to use the sword many times in history, we shouldnt fall into todays modernist and liberal interpretations. This is what makes parts of the 21st century church cowardly.

I think the American Catholic Church is cowardly with the exception of a couple of bishops that actively take part in calling out heretics. The rest just seems to try to avoid the heat. That and the fact that a bunch of the people that knew about the priests doing bad things to kids didn't take a stand to put a definite stop to it. If a Church leader can't protect the people from one of the ranks that are violent towards church members, then maybe he shouldn't be a Church leader.

toledo_jesus

I think like a lot of people throughout history, some of our leaders are afraid to take a stand because they perceive what they might lose. Whether that be the respect or tolerance of certain groups, the sense of ecumenism that pervades practically everything nowadays, or whatever...if everyone took a stand there would be no such thing as heroes. We'll remember those great people who stood up for the Faith and didn't compromise what can't be compromised. But...they will always be in the minority.

Good Friday

[quote name='MC Just']True Humility and Charity is letting people know the truth and relieving them of their ignorance.[/quote]
This is right on. I think what we have to remember, though, is that the Truth is not a thing, it's a person -- Jesus Christ, truly God and truly man. The Truth is the whole package, all of the deposit of faith, not just parts of it. It's worthy to fight against abortion and other social evils, but we always have to do it in the context of Christ, otherwise it's useless. It's impossible to get people to accept part of the Truth without offering them the whole package deal, and Jesus is the whole package.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jun 10 2005, 03:01 PM'][quote name='MC Just']True Humility and Charity is letting people know the truth and relieving them of their ignorance.[/quote]
This is right on. I think what we have to remember, though, is that the Truth is not a thing, it's a person -- Jesus Christ, truly God and truly man. The Truth is the whole package, all of the deposit of faith, not just parts of it. It's worthy to fight against abortion and other social evils, but we always have to do it in the context of Christ, otherwise it's useless. It's impossible to get people to accept part of the Truth without offering them the whole package deal, and Jesus is the whole package.
[right][snapback]608857[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well Put!

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jun 10 2005, 03:01 PM'][quote name='MC Just']True Humility and Charity is letting people know the truth and relieving them of their ignorance.[/quote]
[right][snapback]608857[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amen.

• 4 years later...

[quote name='mp15' date='25 May 2005 - 08:22 AM' timestamp='1117034579' post='598365']
I think it has to do with the church not wanting to be branded as intolerant. The church has lost its fighting spirit and it is sad really. What was once a strong voice of reason is now just a whisper in some locked closet. Maybe someday the church leaders will realize that it's not about what the world thinks, but about what the world needs to hear and fear.
[/quote]

***Yeah...like the return of the Inquisition. That would certainly give the world something to "fear" wouldn't it.

Damiano

KeenanParkerII

I wish I could give +1's to all you peeps.. For every person that undermines the faith through a false sense of charity and submission, let it magnify our zeal x10. Submission doesn't attract people to the Church; courage, strength, conviction and trust in Christ does.

[quote name='Damiano' date='04 February 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1265337987' post='2051437']
***Yeah...like the return of the Inquisition. That would certainly give the world something to "fear" wouldn't it.

Damiano
[/quote]
I'm such an evil Catholic, I idolized the Inquisition in plastic form:
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2766876688_de3087e92c_o.jpg[/img]
:cool:

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='04 February 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1265341805' post='2051487']
Hey man, don't hack on my zeal. Time is irrelevant. :cool:
[/quote]

[img]http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/LocutusOfBorg.jpg[/img]
Time is irrelevant. Resistance is Futile. You will be...inquisited.

I would never want to state that the Church, the bride and mystical body of Christ, is cowardly. I would prefer to state that certain members in the Church are cowardly.

KeenanParkerII

Borg Picard is the epitome of terror. (even moreso than the plastic inquisition) =I

[quote] I would never want to state that the Church, the bride and mystical body of Christ, is cowardly. I would prefer to state that certain members in the Church are cowardly.[/quote]

Important distinction indeed! I like to assume this is what the OP meant.

Edited by KeenanParkerII