An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic marrying a non-Catholic

scardella

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

may i be so kind as to add that as far as i'm aware the magesterium of the church is an infallible matter of faith and morals and as far as i'm aware there aren't many must believes/infallible matteres of faith and morals. Correct me if I'm wrong because i to am fumbling my way through this and mainly only have the holy bible, the holy sacraments and the odd works of the saints, but that the holy magesterium of the church or the brain of the body of Christ consists of the cardinals and the pope and the ordinary magesterium or the eyes,ears and tounge delivering the message of the brain consists of the the bishops,priests and other consecrated religious. That is a full on guess and someone please tell me if i'm incorrect because i have discerned this on my lonesome. And than you have the remainder of the body outside of the head but still ATTACHED to the head of course or you don't have a body right? We truly are blessed if we are even one hair follicle attached to this holy body through the real and perpetual presence of God in the Holy Eucharist, the sacrament of confession and the primacy of the pope and magesterium. Something like that anyway there is one more vein that connects us to the brain in Jesus name, but alas i have already forgotten, perhaps something to do with the holy mother, please remind me. This is the limit to my understanding of such things and NIHIL OBSTAT i have no intentions of misleading anyone here, but i could be misled a little or a lot so feel free to correct in any way shape or form, bear with me and help me grow please.

Onward christian souls.

God is GOOD.

Sorry for the micromanage-am on a device without copy function.

Marriage was not always a sacrament?

How was it raised to a sacrament? When and why?

Not sure if you noticed but you replied to an (almost) 9 year old post.

Anastasia13

Not sure if you noticed but you replied to an (almost) 9 year old post.

I could have sworn I typed sorry for the necromancy, not micromanage-am. I have not figured out how to cut an paste on a kindle.

Edited by Light and Truth

Sorry for the micromanage-am on a device without copy function.

Marriage was not always a sacrament?

How was it raised to a sacrament? When and why?

Maybe he means it in a secular sense. "Marriage" by the state vs in the church.

southern california guy

So the Catholic church does not consider certain marriages "valid".. So what? Does getting a "dispensation" somehow make the married person feel more committed??? Is it supposed to somehow strengthen the marriage? Is it supposed to make the Catholic in the marriage feel that the marriage is more "official"? Is it supposed to keep other people in the Catholic church have more respect for that marriage? Is it supposed to make God "happy!"?

I imagine that a "dispensation" costs money. If you forgo the dispensation are you really only saving money?

My older sister married a Muslim, and my younger sister married a protestant. And neither of them bothered with a dispensation.

Edited by southern california guy

HisChildForever

So the Catholic church does not consider certain marriages "valid".. So what? Does getting a "dispensation" somehow make the married person feel more committed??? Is it supposed to somehow strengthen the marriage? Is it supposed to make the Catholic in the marriage feel that the marriage is more "official"? Is it supposed to keep other people in the Catholic church have more respect for that marriage? Is it supposed to make God "happy!"?

I imagine that a "dispensation" costs money. If you forgo the dispensation are you really only saving money?

My older sister married a Muslim, and my younger sister married a protestant. And neither of them bothered with a dispensation.

I think the priest takes care of the dispensation, contacts the diocese for you or something. I think it's really to raise the non-Catholic spouse's understanding of the Catholic spouse's obligations.

I enjoyed reading the Canon law on this subject! (I know, weird right) 

It's only somewhat related.. but I'm not sure I would date a non-Catholic. In fact, I'm certain I wouldn't, unless they were interested in converting. There are too many pros that go with dating/marrying a Catholic girl, the biggest being the shared yoke of the faith and membership in the Church. 

a dispensation doesn't cost money, to my knowledge. we weren't asked for a dispensation fee when my husband and I were married. 

both of your sisters marriages would be considered non-sacramental, possibly invalid (in the eyes of the Church) marriages. but i don't know the technical terms. perhaps CatherineM or another could jump in at this point.

idk why, but your post comes off very aggressive and nasty-toned. perhaps it is your usage of ???? and !!!! and ?! ?! for that reason, i'm having a hard time taking your post seriously. 

southern california guy

a dispensation doesn't cost money, to my knowledge. we weren't asked for a dispensation fee when my husband and I were married. 

both of your sisters marriages would be considered non-sacramental, possibly invalid (in the eyes of the Church) marriages. but i don't know the technical terms. perhaps CatherineM or another could jump in at this point.

idk why, but your post comes off very aggressive and nasty-toned. perhaps it is your usage of ???? and !!!! and ?! ?! for that reason, i'm having a hard time taking your post seriously. 

It wasn't totally serious.

I suppose I am a little frustrated because I don't really understand the concept behind a "dispensation".  If the marriage is "invalid" then how does a "dispensation" change anything?  It is still the same type of marriage.  It seems to me that the only difference is that the Catholic church has somehow agreed to put their seal of approval on it -- with a "dispensation".

Why does a dispensation make the marriage more "sacramental"?  Or how does it?

It wasn't totally serious.

I suppose I am a little frustrated because I don't really understand the concept behind a "dispensation".  If the marriage is "invalid" then how does a "dispensation" change anything?  It is still the same type of marriage.  It seems to me that the only difference is that the Catholic church has somehow agreed to put their seal of approval on it -- with a "dispensation".

Why does a dispensation make the marriage more "sacramental"?  Or how does it?

it does not make a marriage more sacramental. my husband and i have a valid but non-sacramental marriage. 

I found this but I don't know how accurate it is, but it seems to jive with my understanding: 

http://catholicism.about.com/od/catholicliving/f/FAQ_Marriage.htm

A Baptized Christian: Both partners do not have to be a Catholic in order to be sacramentally married in the Catholic Church, but both must be baptized Christians (and at least one must be a Catholic). Non-Christians cannot receive the sacraments. For a Catholic to marry a non-Catholic Christian, express permission is required from his or her bishop.

A Catholic can marry an unbaptized person, but such marriages are natural marriages only; they are not sacramental marriages. The Church, therefore, discourages them and requires a Catholic who wishes to marry an unbaptized person to receive a special dispensation from his or her bishop. Still, if the dispensation is granted, a non-sacramental marriage is valid and can take place inside of a Catholic church.

southern california guy

it does not make a marriage more sacramental. my husband and i have a valid but non-sacramental marriage. 

I found this but I don't know how accurate it is, but it seems to jive with my understanding: 

http://catholicism.about.com/od/catholicliving/f/FAQ_Marriage.htm

A Baptized Christian: Both partners do not have to be a Catholic in order to be sacramentally married in the Catholic Church, but both must be baptized Christians (and at least one must be a Catholic). Non-Christians cannot receive the sacraments. For a Catholic to marry a non-Catholic Christian, express permission is required from his or her bishop.

A Catholic can marry an unbaptized person, but such marriages are natural marriages only; they are not sacramental marriages. The Church, therefore, discourages them and requires a Catholic who wishes to marry an unbaptized person to receive a special dispensation from his or her bishop. Still, if the dispensation is granted, a non-sacramental marriage is valid and can take place inside of a Catholic church.

I see, it has to do with getting married by a Priest in a Catholic marriage.  Once you get the Catholic Churches approval you can get married in the Catholic Church.

Edited by southern california guy

I see, it has to do with getting married by a Priest in a Catholic marriage.  Once you get the Catholic Churches approval you can get married in the Catholic Church.

who else would be allowed to perform a Catholic marriage in a Catholic church, besides a priest/bishop/cardinal/The Pope

southern california guy

who else would be allowed to perform a Catholic marriage in a Catholic church, besides a priest/bishop/cardinal/The Pope

Neither of my sisters had Catholic weddings. I guess it only something you do if you want a Catholic marriage.

Anastasia13

Maybe he means it in a secular sense. "Marriage" by the state vs in the church.

Please elaborate.