An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic marrying a non-Catholic

scardella

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day, and he mentioned that it is against Church teaching to marry a non-Catholic. He added that a dispensation was required to marry a non-Catholic and that you had to agree to raise any children Catholic.

My first question, particularly to those with direct experience, is how problematic is this in raising the children? If the non-Catholic parent held forcefully to his beliefs, would that make it difficult to raise the children Catholic?

My second question is how would one discern this sort of relationship in the first place? It would seem that one would have to avoid non-Catholics in social situations to prevent such a relationship from occurring. However, that certainly doesn't sound right to me.

i married a non-Catholic, basically non-Christian. :) our marriage is going just fine, thank you! :)

as far as children, my husband was never brought up with any religion. and he sees the detriment that it did to him. he agrees and insists that our children (when God sees fit that we have them) be brought up Catholic. and he says that he wants to present a "united front" to our children, and so he will go to Church with us.

when i met my husband, i was not "on fire" for the Catholic faith, or any faith. but after being married in the Church, my heart and soul became more and more "on fire" for the Church in every way (somebody sure was praying for me!), and my husband respects and understands this. he is curious, and always asking questions about why Catholics do this or that.

MichaelFilo

I suggest a look at the Syllabus of Erros most especially on marriage.

The marriage must be founded with an understanding that the children will be Catholic. If not, the marriage is NOT in accord with the will of the Church (albiet, valid still).

Marrying non-Catholics would be like marrying anyone else. Of course, you have an active duty to convert them to the Catholic faith, because that is true love, to want to share what God has given you with whoever you are married to. '

Also, marrying non-Catholics involves a bit more than just non-Catholic. Are they baptized, or not? If they are not baptized, then God cannot bless the marriage through the sacraments (or will not would be more accurate) since the sacrament can only be conferred on baptized persons. That also means that they are not bound to stay together (ie, they aren't united as one). I wonder if the Church even allows this.... although I'm sure there is someone here who knows better.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 17 2005, 02:22 PM']
Also, marrying non-Catholics involves a bit more than just non-Catholic. Are they baptized, or not? [/quote]
The question is primarily directed at Catholic-Protestant marriages, but I didn't intend to limit the question to that.

Birgitta Noel

The Church does allow marriages between Catholics and Non-Christians, though there is a special dispensation needed (from the bishop I believe).

One must also remember that just marrying a Catholic carries no guarentees. People do leave the faith. This goes both ways of course, non-Catholics also convert.

As for dating, many Catholics do only date Catholics. One's faith is integral to one's being (or should be), and for some the faith of the one they are dating is as well.

Crusader_4

I know the church allows marriage to traditional protestants i.e. Lutherans, United, Anglican, Presbyterian (i believe)...since they all believe in sacremental baptsim. However what about a group that is Anabpatist i.e. Baptists, mennonites, hutterites, pentecostals.

I wasn't baptized when I got married, and I don't remember any special dispensations or anything. We even had a mass (because I asked for it) and I know now that was not entirely proper. Hrm. I might have had to sign something saying that I agreed to raise any children as Catholic.

No one told me I wasn't [i]really[/i] getting married. Do I have to do it again? I don't think I fit into my dress anymore. :P

Don John of Austria

[quote name='philothea' date='May 17 2005, 05:32 PM'] I wasn't baptized when I got married, and I don't remember any special dispensations or anything. We even had a mass (because I asked for it) and I know now that was not entirely proper. Hrm. I might have had to sign something saying that I agreed to raise any children as Catholic.

No one told me I wasn't [i]really[/i] getting married. Do I have to do it again? I don't think I fit into my dress anymore. :P [/quote]
In all seriousness you need to consult a prieist preferably one who is not a liberal lunitic about having a nuptual blessing given, you should have never been allowed to be married as an unbapized person, that is certianly grounds for an annulment.

i asked my priest, and he assured me that all was done correctly, with the proper dispensations.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 17 2005, 05:37 PM'] In all seriousness you need to consult a prieist preferably one who is not a liberal lunitic about having a nuptual blessing given, you should have never been allowed to be married as an unbapized person, that is certianly grounds for an annulment. [/quote]
That's not true, unbaptized people may be married. There is an uber special dispensation, and it's wholly discouraged, but it's not disallowed...it is grounds for an annulment as no sacrament occured, but I don't believe it's disallowed.

MichaelFilo

And what is the point of marriage outside of the Sacrament? It is secular.

History shows, getting married with the Sacrament is truely a blessing.

God bless,
Mikey

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 17 2005, 09:08 PM'] And what is the point of marriage outside of the Sacrament? It is secular.

History shows, getting married with the Sacrament is truely a blessing.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
Love might have something to do with it......

Don John of Austria

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='May 17 2005, 08:08 PM'] Love might have something to do with it...... [/quote]
No love has absolutly nothing to do with it, if there is no sacramental marraige there is no point in it at all, if there is no baptism there is no marriage, mariage is a union of 2 BAPTISED PERSONS, period, end of story. No baptism no sacrament no sacrament no marriage.