An Old School Catholic Message Board

eating nutritionless food

dairygirl4u2c

Should eating calorie/nutrient free foods/candy be declared immoral?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

*declared by the pope for catholics, that is*

I assume it could be, as it could just be something that has been overlooked.

Isn't eating food/candy that provides no calories and no nutrition separating the good taste aspect of food from the nutritional aspect and thus going against the natural law? Furthermore, abuse of said food/candy could lead to addiction..

This thread should have these focuses: one explaining whether or not it is immoral and two on discussing whether or not it's possible to have it and/or something overlooked in general be declared immoral.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Wait...

are you saying there is food with "nutritional value"?

Get real!! I swear, what will you wacky protestants come up with next??

Nutritional food... sheesh.

:P

I have wondered about this.

I think it's not presently a big deal, because there isn't any viable calorie-free food. When eaten in any significant quantity, all non-digestible things mess up your bowels big time.

However, if it was perfected, and skinny people started having massive gluttonous parties, it would be condemned. Like bulimia already is, IIRC.

I don't believe unhealthy eating is immoral by definition, however I do believe that is not caring for ones body that God created perfect, and continues to live in us, and as there will be some sort of bodily resurrection, and we are to treat our bodies as temples, not caring for our body w/ proper nutrients is sinful as it harms us and often causes unnecessary diseases/cancers/health probs in general/mental illnesses.

I think people are missing the point of this.
Dairy's just trying to mock the Church's teaching on contraception.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 25 2005, 07:26 PM'] I think people are missing the point of this.
Dairy's just trying to mock the Church's teaching on contraception. [/quote]
I was aware of that.

It's still an interesting (to me, at least) issue.

It should be noted that gluttony (eating and drinking beyond the needs of the body) is one of the seven deadly sins.

theculturewarrior

God told Peter to eat what he had assumed was unclean. And Paul said all things are clean to him.

God also said "Be fruitful and multiply."

I believe that this is a pretty important issue. The question I have is how do you know when you are being glutonous? I really don't know what would be the proper ammount of food strictly following nutritional guidelines.

It's a judgment call. Follow your conscience and common sense. If you eat or drink to the point of making yourself sick, this is a clear indication of gluttony.

Edited by Socrates