An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics and Orthodox

Matt Black

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rkwright' date='08 October 2009 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1255025325' post='1981006']
haha I've actually thought that now and then... there are many times after wrestling with these ideas on phatmass I think of how many saints were worried far less with the "knowledge" of God and more about knowing Him and serving Him - thats the point right.
[/quote]
:woot:
Blessed are the theologically dumb, for they have a way easier time than smart people. ;)

[quote name='rkwright' date='08 October 2009 - 08:56 AM' timestamp='1255010219' post='1980808']
The East rejects both of these.
[/quote]

The [i]Catholic[/i] East doesn't reject the teachings of the Council of Trent, nor do Eastern Catholics reject the teachings of Vatican I. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='08 October 2009 - 05:15 PM' timestamp='1255036534' post='1981192']
The [i]Catholic[/i] East doesn't reject the teachings of the Council of Trent, nor do Eastern Catholics reject the teachings of Vatican I. :)
[/quote]
Says who?

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='08 October 2009 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1255036534' post='1981192']
[/quote]
I wasn't aware that those western councils said anything of concern for a Byzantine Catholic.

[quote name='Formosus' date='08 October 2009 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1255063092' post='1981508']
I wasn't aware that those western councils said anything of concern for a Byzantine Catholic.
[/quote]

Trent and Vatican I were ecumenical councils of the Universal Church. Their teachings are binding upon all Catholics.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='09 October 2009 - 01:39 AM' timestamp='1255063172' post='1981509']
Trent and Vatican I were ecumenical councils of the Universal Church. Their teachings are binding upon all Catholics.
[/quote]

What did they say that pertained to Byzantines? I wasn't aware that any of the issues of Trent were in question in the East, and as for VI I don't see how those latin theological definitions affect us.

[quote name='Formosus' date='08 October 2009 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1255063975' post='1981523']
What did they say that pertained to Byzantines? I wasn't aware that any of the issues of Trent were in question in the East, and as for VI I don't see how those latin theological definitions affect us.
[/quote]

Those two councils pronounced final judgments on dogmatic issues that affect all Christians.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='09 October 2009 - 01:56 AM' timestamp='1255064173' post='1981526']
Those two councils pronounced final judgments on dogmatic issues that affect all Christians.
[/quote]

Which judgments on Dogma affected Eastern Catholics? Trent talked in western theology, and dealt with western issues. What exactly did it say that was a necessary clarification for Eastern Catholics?

[quote name='Formosus' date='09 October 2009 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1255064583' post='1981530']
Which judgments on Dogma affected Eastern Catholics? Trent talked in western theology, and dealt with western issues. What exactly did it say that was a necessary clarification for Eastern Catholics?
[/quote]

The teachings of the Council of Trent on transubstantiation and justification are just as applicable to the East as to teh West.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='09 October 2009 - 02:08 AM' timestamp='1255064902' post='1981532']
The teachings of the Council of Trent on transubstantiation and justification are just as applicable to the East as to teh West.
[/quote]

Transubstantiation is an unneccessary term in the East as we aren't Aristotelians and we have never questioned the Real Presence. Totally unnecessary and not applicable to the East. As for Trent's theology of justification, another western theology that is not part of the Eastern tradition.

[quote name='Formosus' date='09 October 2009 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1255065135' post='1981536']
Transubstantiation is an unneccessary term in the East as we aren't Aristotelians and we have never questioned the Real Presence. Totally unnecessary and not applicable to the East. As for Trent's theology of justification, another western theology that is not part of the Eastern tradition.
[/quote]

[sarcasm]And I find [i]homoousious[/i] to be an unnecessary use of pagan philosophy. [i]True[/i] Christianity has no need for pagan philosophical terms. [/sarcasm]

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='09 October 2009 - 02:14 AM' timestamp='1255065262' post='1981537']
[sarcasm]And I find [i]homoousious[/i] to be an unnecessary use of pagan philosophy. [i]True[/i] Christianity has no need for pagan philosophical terms. [/sarcasm]
[/quote]

I have no qualm with the term transubstantiation. Its just not necessary to explain the faith of the East. We have gotten along just fine without it.