An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Haikus Art?

homeschoolmom

Well, are they?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1202046' date='Feb 21 2007, 08:12 PM']Who's bumping all the old polls???[/quote]
In this case, someone with incredibly good taste.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1696966' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:43 PM']I would like a Haiku about ice cream.[/quote]

Iced cream has sugar
Sugar causes my own death
Dead under the ground

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Winchester' post='4424' date='Jul 13 2003, 07:34 PM']What do you think of this peculiar form of poetry?[/quote]

The Japanese certainly consider it one of their highest poetic art forms. However, it's never quite the same when one tries to do it outside the Japanese language. It is designed for the rhythm and expression of Japanese. Also, there are many forms within the art of Haiku. It is a very intricate type of poetry deep with meaning for Japanese readers. Great Haiku poets are highly honored.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1202046' date='Feb 21 2007, 09:12 PM']Who's bumping all the old polls???[/quote]

Oh, LOL, I didn't even realize this was old!! And I was replying, all serious and whatnot, like it was new. :sweat:

• 3 months later...

I wrote a haiku a week or two ago... with THREE WORDS.
Let's see if I can remember...
Haberdashery
Interglobalization
Constantinople.