An Old School Catholic Message Board

History

dairygirl4u2c

Do you study the history to:  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Groo the Wanderer

I study history cause I love seeing the development of humanity, with all its pimples and pustules...

...and cause I have it for the next 5 weeks in school....

Justified Saint

For those who voted A:

From the eminent Catholic historian Christopher Dawson: "There has certainly been a tendency among Catholic writers to make history a department of apologetics and to idealise medieval culture in order to exalt their religious ideals."

History can surely be used for apologetic purposes, but there is a danger in that which Dawson rightly senses as undermining the very study of history, which would ultimately make it useless for any true apologetic.

Edited by Justified Saint

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Justified Saint' post='1330382' date='Jul 15 2007, 11:42 PM']For those who voted A:

From the eminent Catholic historian Christopher Dawson: "There has certainly been a tendency among Catholic writers to make history a department of apologetics and to idealise medieval culture in order to exalt their religious ideals."

History can surely be used for apologetic purposes, but there is a danger in that which Dawson rightly senses as undermining the very study of history, which would ultimately make it useless for any true apologetic.[/quote]
I don't really like any of the options so I just picked the "Pretend that I have studied" one.

There are lots of reasons why I study different aspects of history at different times and I can't think of one reason that applies to all apart from some extreme generalization.

Justified Saint

And that seems rather appropriate since, unless you are an adherent of one Hegelianism or another, history is the study of the multiform and the particular.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Justified Saint' post='1332648' date='Jul 17 2007, 01:35 PM']And that seems rather appropriate since, unless you are an adherent of one Hegelianism or another, history is the study of the multiform and the particular.[/quote]
:yahoo:

If there was a "have a cigar" smiley I'd be posting it right now.