An Old School Catholic Message Board

History

dairygirl4u2c

Do you study the history to:  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have looked into Christian history because I think that learning where we come from is very important - only to have affirmed that the Church was clearly defined even in 100 AD.

Considering that this is more or less the same poll stated twice, I will paste my answer from the other thread...as not to be inconsistent......

[quote]We come to know God (and ultimately His Church) through Faith and Reason. We are compelled as Christians to know and defend the Church. That is Apologetics. As Catholics, we need to be able to, to a greater or lesser degree, prove the authenticity of the Church.

Much of your poll is discussed by this current Holy Father in his various encyclicals, but no more important is Fides et Ratio.[/quote]

Cam42

• 2 years later...
Deus te Amat

I do it for fun... but also to be able to teach others when they desire to learn... and even when they dont

Archaeology cat

I can't really answer any of the choices. If you study history with a predetermined outcome in mind, you will (subconsciously, if not deliberately) make the data fit your predetermined outcome. Instead, you should look at the material and then determine what it can tell you. So I guess I would answer that I study history in order to see what happened, whatever that may be.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1313280' date='Jul 5 2007, 02:53 AM']I do it for fun... but also to be able to teach others when they desire to learn... and even when they dont[/quote]

Same here.

I do it "for fun" as well. I'm interesting in seeing what was goin on with the Church way back then. It only re-affirms my belief.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]I can't really answer any of the choices. If you study history with a predetermined outcome in mind, you will (subconsciously, if not deliberately) make the data fit your predetermined outcome. Instead, you should look at the material and then determine what it can tell you. So I guess I would answer that I study history in order to see what happened, whatever that may be.[/quote]

maybe i didn't phrase the choice optimally, but isn't choice two for you then?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1317702' date='Jul 8 2007, 04:27 AM']maybe i didn't phrase the choice optimally, but isn't choice two for you then?[/quote]

I suppose that could work. :)