An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opus Dei?

aloha918

How many are Opus Dei, and is it good?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ora et Labora

I am a total Regnum Cristi member but I think Opus Dei is just as cool.

It sort of depends on the kind of person you are. Regnum Cristi is very activeand evangelizing, while Opus Dei is more mellow, but very prayerful! ^_^

They both help you to become good Catholics! :D

littleflower+JMJ

i think its good but im not a member of it.

i rather go to those who are in it then whose who dont know or understand it.

[quote name='Ellenita' date='Jan 20 2005, 01:13 AM'] The new Secretary of State for Education in England and Wales is supposedly a member! [/quote]
We know ;)

[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=26580"]http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=26580[/url]

'We cannot portray as a model of Christian living someone who has served the power of the state and who used that power to launch his Opus, which he ran with obscure criteria - like a Mafia shrouded in white - not accepting the papal magisterium when it failed to coincide with his way of thinking." Theologian, Juan Martin Velasco speaking of Opus Dei founder, Josemaria Escriba

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jan 25 2005, 07:53 PM'] That's a pretty ridiculous website. [/quote]
Is it through intelligent, well articulated insight like that expressed in this quote that the title "church faithful" is earned?

Edited by james

Wow James!! So the webpage you refer to that states JPII is a "manifest heretic" and a "vatican II anti-pope" also states Opus Dei is an evil organization and Saint Josemaria is not a legit Saint..... man, now there's a surprise!!

Perhaps you are fearful to post this kind of garbage directly because you know it violates the rules of this Phorum? So you just hide behind the shorcut. In my opinion you have violated the rules:

Prohibited Content:

Personal Attacks- a post or comment ......not limited to, calling people "heretics"----I think this includes the Pope.

Lack of Respect to the Religious- a post or comment by a Catholic that criticizes or shows lack of obedience to priests, bishops, cardinals, the pope, etc. ------- I assume you are calling yourself Catholic?

Catholic vs Catholic Debate- ........*Effective immediately, any negative criticism of the current Magisterium will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass and/or our Holy Father.

"Never reprimand anyone while you feel provoked over a fault that has been committed. Wait until the next day, or even longer. Then make your remonstrance calmly and with a purified intention. You'll gain more with an affectionate word than you ever would from three hours of quarreling. Control your temper." - St Josemaria Escriva

......... Well it is obvious that I do not yet possess all the Saintly behaviour of St. Josemaria...... cause I don't think I will wait.

[quote name='james' date='Jan 25 2005, 11:24 PM'] Is it through intelligent, well articulated insight like that expressed in this quote that the title "church faithful" is earned? [/quote]
Wow, let's attack this website and me ad hominim. Good sport yes?

The website you posted, although pretty, is owned by someone who calls the Second Vatican Council the "Robber Baron Council" and The greatest Pope this century an "Anti-Pope" and a "heretic".

It doesn't get much more ridiculous.

The personal opinion of the website owner has no bearing on the questionable practices of Opus Dei which he is attempting to expose. You may believe that his opinion about the pope is rediculous but that doesn't make the entire content of his website rediculous. To state so would be ... rediculous.

The issue at hand is Opus Dei, not the pope, and the website's focus is Opus Dei, not the pope.

This thread asks the question, "Opus Dei, is it good?" which presupposes that dissenting views are encouraged as well as supporting views.

To ask, "Is Opus Dei good?" and allow only supportive views into the discussion would seem dishonest to me.

This is true, however, sources, in order to be considered good, need to be reputable. I probably wouldn't want to get my info on jewish history from someone who denies the Holocaust.

Just so, I suspect some bias in the website you've chosen. I'm not saying the information is totally bad, just that it's source, in my opinion, is suspect.