An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opus Dei?

aloha918

How many are Opus Dei, and is it good?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

veneremur cernui

opus dei is really big on integrating God and His love into one's daily life and work..so in a way, it's kinda like living your life as a good Catholic..

but OD supplies a support system to achieve holiness: they have a number of good retreats and reflections to help you achieve that end..Saint Josemaria Escriva wrote a number of good reflections (my dad has a couple of his books)..there are workshops and talks..

JPII was a strong supporter of OD

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Dec 14 2005, 08:24 AM']It wouls seem that james has returned after a long absence. (read banning)
[right][snapback]824874[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If they continue in their ways, I think James and LittleLes deserve to share a cell with each other for eternity. ;)

[quote name='little_angel202' date='Dec 18 2005, 01:41 PM']my mum is a member! i havent joined.... yet - i dont know if i'm called to join though!
[right][snapback]829754[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is fantastic. I happen to be a supernumerary, but I am discerning becoming a numerary. Although I would have to immediately become an associate, because there is no Opus Dei presence near where I live.

But I am still a supernumerary and still as active as possible. I will pray for your discernment. :whistle: ;)

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 18 2005, 07:23 PM']how old do you have to be to join?

has anyone read the new book about them?
[right][snapback]829993[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Generally you need to be 18. And yes, I am reading the book. It is pretty fair, so far.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 18 2005, 07:27 PM']isn't it written by a Catholic?
[right][snapback]829998[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is written by John L. Allen, Jr. The Vatican correspondent for NCR. But don't let that get to you, he is not all that liberal. And he is pretty fair.

I didn't vote because the option, "I'm not in it, but I think it's good" wasn't there, as other phatmassers have pointed out.

I started receiving spiritual direction from a priest in Opus Dei and I go to some of their meditations for young college men. They are helpful to me in forming an interior life and reminding me of discipline in my studies. I do not consider myself a "member" per se, but I've learned a lot in spiritual direction.

I'm more of a [i]cielino[/i], I think.

Edited by Antonius

[quote name='Antonius' date='Dec 18 2005, 10:14 PM']I didn't vote because the option, "I'm not in it, but I think it's good" wasn't there, as other phatmassers have pointed out.

I started receiving spiritual direction from a priest in Opus Dei and I go to some of their meditations for young college men.  They are helpful to me in forming an interior life and reminding me of discipline in my studies.  I do not consider myself a "member" per se, but I've learned a lot in spiritual direction.

I'm more of a [i]cielino[/i], I think.
[right][snapback]830212[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You are what we call a cooperator.

Say, thanks Cam! By the way, that Schuyler Hall on the corner of Lexington and 34th sure is nice. There is this wonderful painting in the oratory above the chapel... A triptych in the life of the Holy Family... I love meditating upon it, it's pregnant with meaning.

[quote name='Antonius' date='Dec 18 2005, 11:10 PM']Say, thanks Cam!  By the way, that Schuyler Hall on the corner of Lexington and 34th sure is nice.  There is this wonderful painting in the oratory above the chapel... A triptych in the life of the Holy Family...  I love meditating upon it, it's pregnant with meaning.
[right][snapback]830277[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I haven't been there. I am planning a trip to New York this spring, so maybe I'll make it if I have time.

My category would be: From my small (read:TINY) knowledge of Opus Dei and St. Josemaria Escriva, they're pretty sweet. I am not a member, but want to learn more.
There is a women's reflection group nearby that I've had the pleasure of attending. It was really cool. Hopefully I can be more involved with that next semester.

[quote name='saintwannab7' date='Dec 18 2005, 11:34 PM']My category would be: From my small (read:TINY) knowledge of Opus Dei and St. Josemaria Escriva, they're pretty sweet. I am not a member, but want to learn more.
There is a women's reflection group nearby that I've had the pleasure of attending. It was really cool. Hopefully I can be more involved with that next semester.
[right][snapback]830309[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.opusdei.org"]Opus Dei[/url] is a great place to start.