An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opus Dei

johnnydigit

i've read some disturbing things about OD on the net as well, but since they are approved, i think they deserve a chance to be seen for yourself. a lot of the negative things seem to be faults of the people, not the organization itself. also a lot of the things that may seem like turnoffs, like obedience to a superior, is much like religious orders, which is actually a good thing.

as was said, some areas may be better than others, so i say give em a chance. i think i may if i happen to come across them too.

=====

anyone ever heard of the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocatechumenal_Way"]Neocatechumenal Way[/url]? it's a large movement that sounds similar to OD..

Edited by johnnydigit

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1452533' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:46 PM']i've read some disturbing things about OD on the net as well, but since they are approved, i think they deserve a chance to be seen for yourself. a lot of the negative things seem to be faults of the people, not the organization itself. also a lot of the things that may seem like turnoffs, like obedience to a superior, is much like religious orders, which is actually a good thing.

as was said, some areas may be better than others, so i say give em a chance. i think i may if i happen to come across them too.

=====

anyone ever heard of the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocatechumenal_Way"]Neocatechumenal Way[/url]? it's a large movement that sounds similar to OD..[/quote]

I am exmember of Opus Dei, failures of this organization are the same, not of the people, the principal is to act as a religious order, while nearly all its members are lay people, This prevents members of Opus Dei may be "normal christians in the midst of the world", as S. Josemaria say, celibate lay people end up isolated from the world. Another mistake is that the standards set by S. Josemaria are untouchable, some things could be changing, with no major changes, but it is unthinkable for them.
Now i am neocatechumenal, does not seem to Opus Dei, though not perfect, like everything we do men, the greatest similarity is that both are of Spanish origin.
Want to know something more specific?.

[quote name='ruso' post='1453489' date='Jan 31 2008, 11:20 AM']Now i am neocatechumenal, does not seem to Opus Dei, though not perfect, like everything we do men, the greatest similarity is that both are of Spanish origin.
Want to know something more specific?.[/quote]

anything really. i went to the retreat weekend a while ago, and my pastor is very big on The Way, but i have not been attracted to it. i've been to the liturgies, a convievance, and that's about it. i've been thinking about coming to the music practice and checking it out more, but i am very busy with school and things, especially the young adult ministry i am involved in, which is one of the reasons i am not attracted to it - no young adult presence.

i guess i would like to know more about the things that are done, like i heard they go 2x2 evangelizing door to door, fundraisers, World Youth Day, houses worldwide including Rome, a seminary for The Way, etc.

i would also like to see if there is anything that is lacking in my young adult ministry that The Way can offer, as i feel very content, spiritually fed, and satisfied with what we have so far..

[quote name='ruso' post='1453489' date='Jan 31 2008, 11:20 AM']Now i am neocatechumenal, does not seem to Opus Dei, though not perfect, like everything we do men, the greatest similarity is that both are of Spanish origin.
Want to know something more specific?.[/quote]

anything really. i went to the retreat weekend a while ago, and my pastor is very big on The Way, but i have not been attracted to it. i've been to the liturgies, a convievance, and that's about it. i've been thinking about coming to the music practice and checking it out more, but i am very busy with school and things, especially the young adult ministry i am involved in, which is one of the reasons i am not attracted to it - no young adult presence.

i guess i would like to know more about the things that are done, like i heard they go 2x2 evangelizing door to door, fundraisers, World Youth Day, houses worldwide including Rome, a seminary for The Way, etc.

i would also like to see if there is anything that is lacking in my young adult ministry that The Way can offer, as i feel very content, spiritually fed, and satisfied with what we have so far..