An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Denomination Poll

White Knight

What is you current status?  

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I couldn't vote, because I'm not Protestant anymore even though I disagreed alot with the Church in the beginning, now I agree with just abotu everything, yet I'm not a Catholic I'm going through a transitional stage now.

You sould have had a Convert opinion.

I was raised by a Protestant mom and a non-religious dad. My other relatives were all really religious, and sent me angels, crosses, children's Bibles, etc. My aunt on my dad's side became a Catholic and gave me a book on the saints. I went to Catholic elementary school b/c my parents hated public schools in the neighborhood i was living in. My best friend is a Catholic and i went to her First Communion and she would answer any questions i had. I also went to Mass when i was in Catholic school, then my mom took me to a Protestant church. I was never baptized or anything b/c my parents wanted me to choose (although my mom did try to convert to Catholicism and raise me and my sis and bro Catholic but the priest said no) Then, we move to PA and we didn't go to church and i went to public school. However, i would always have a little chat w/God about my day (my parents thought i talked to myself and joked about me having boys in my room) and i read my book about saints and the martyr stories blew me away! I was shocked, i almost didn't believe it happened! Then i move back to CT in the fifth grade, to a town that is 80% Roman Catholic. i was searching for awhile, thought about becoming a Wiccan but my grandma told me that had the Devil in it. Then, i though, i wanna b Jewish, but i'll still believe in Jesus and celebrate Christimas (i was in sixth grade at the time) Also, a Protestant friend of mine told me about Christ and stuff and i thought it was cool. Then, seventh grade, i was going through massive puberty, i wanted to be an actress, then my grades went down, and i didn't get a long w/my parents, had some odd fears that bad things were going to happen, and became really depressed. Then, i learn about St. Joan of Arc, and watch a movie in class about her, and was absolutely amazed by her faith. I knew she wasn't crazy or a witch so i knew God through the Saints was guiding her. I started reading the Bible and praying. I also started going to an Anglican church with another one of my friends and thought it was pretty cool. I didn't tell my parents b/c i didn't know what they would think. A Catholic friend in my drama class impressed me b/c she was two years younger than me but so wise and spiritually mature. she told us her sister passed away but her faith in God helped her through it. I was absolutely amazed! I wanted what she had. Then, my mom started picking up on it and asked me if i wanted a Bible. I bought one, a KJV since i didn't know if i could become Catholic so i didn't want to get a Catholic Bible just yet. Then, my grandma and my aunt started telling me about Catholicism, i started reading and researching saints, the sacraments, the Mass, the Pope, morals, everything. I start going to different churches, my parents encouraged me to do that. I went to Mass at the church here in town, then a Congregational service (that's what my mom was), and then a Baptist service ( a Baptist friend of hers heard that i wanted a religion and recommended her church), then my friend's Anglican confirmation. I decided to become Catholic, so i bought a Catholic Bible, learned prayers, watched EWTN when no one was home. I went to Mass, then met with a priest, then started RCIA. I became a Catholic when i was almost 15, then my mom and my bro became Catholic and my sis is doing it too!

[quote name='marielapin' date='Oct 9 2003, 10:38 AM']I was once a member of a denomination, and now I'm not.
[right][snapback]37558[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Same here but I suspect we have different meanings.

~Your token rebel Protestant

I am a seeker, and will always be a seeker. I've studied all the major religious traditions and am amazed at some of the similarities. God is awesome and keeps moving me around blessing me with fellowship with all of his people. When I worship, I pray to God the Creator, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. This is my spiritual nourishment, where my sould rests, and my joy lives.

[quote name='Jake Huether' date='Oct 9 2003, 11:32 AM']I never really "fell away". I've always been pretty good. But I've learned through studying and listening to ya'll, that I'm in the right place!  Thanks be to God. 
[right][snapback]37555[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Same here! :)

Kristina

• 7 months later...
desertwoman

Well, I was raised in a Protestant home. My mom and dad had various backgrounds when it came to church life. My mom was raised in a Pentecostal Holiness Church and had experiences with people being demon possesed and so forth. Plus my family has a history of having witches and witch doctors which is not unsual in Charleston here (if you see Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil you will know what I mean). The way she was raised and brought and taught me was no different from many people who practiced a mixture of religions in New Orleans.

My father was raised Baptist and African Methodist Episcaple. He also went to other non-denominational churches through his lifetime and brought his knowledge to my brother and I when we were little. So needless to say things got complex in the home. My dad would teach us one thing, and my mom would another. My dad would tell us to rebuke our demons in the name of Jesus, and my mom would tell us to put salt in our shoes to keep evil spirits away. The thing was I saw nothing wrong with it until I got older and began to decipher things for myself.

My dad never pushed anything on us though. He would buy us children's Bibles and he would read it with us. He would also tell us that the main thing we should always do is have a personal releationship with the father and he always used himself as an example. The way we are talking to him, we can talk to our heavenly father the same way. He also broke down the concept of the trinity as we were younger and I appreciate and love my father for letting us find and discover Christ on our own.

wow, very inspiring stuff.

I really wish I had a story to tell, but I can never remember having a desire to walk away from my faith or seek something else out. I always Knew that I was Catholic, my family went to mass every Sunday and it was of the utmost importance. I can always remember wanting to know why some things were they way they were, but never haS my faith been shaken. Thanks Be To God!

amandaplus5

[quote]I really wish I had a story to tell, but I can never remember having a desire to walk away from my faith or seek something else out. I always Knew that I was Catholic, my family went to mass every Sunday and it was of the utmost importance. I can always remember wanting to know why some things were they way they were, but never haS my faith been shaken. Thanks Be To God![/quote]

Pretty much the same here. My parents have raised me as a Catholic, and I have never considered converting. However, it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I really started to truly understand my faith. Before that, I had a lot of book knowledge about the Church, but I had never faced any opposition. That changed when I started attending a 1st Assembly of God homeschooling co-op (it was basically classes for homeschoolers). Suddenly, I started getting all these questions about my faith that I didn't know how to answer. My parents encouraged me to do some research and find the truth. They knew that it was important that I truly understand what I believe. I got into Apologetics, and my faith was solidified even more. Now, all opposition does is strengthen my belief in the Catholic Church.

Basically brought up non-religious, am now Catholic (I converted, officially, two weeks ago). I'm the only Catholic in my family, that's for sure.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' post='970134' date='May 3 2006, 05:08 PM']
wow...old thread[/quote]It's not that old. I remember starting it and I remember FreakyChik and CircleMaster like it was last month. Heck, I remember the Mennonite, CHE, who used to post on PM in 2000. I remember when Winchester used to have the SN of Monarchist. Now THAT's old.