An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Had To Choose A Denomination Other Than....

CatholicBoy

(Read topic title)  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You know,
I was a cradle Catholic, born & raised. However, at one point in my life, I walked away from my faith & experimented w/the occult,new age, etc. Throughout my life, I've studied different spiritual paths, to try to understand other's views on God. However, Catholicism is where I'll be for life.

Edited by CatholicBoy

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Oct 6 2003, 01:22 PM']I would say the Orthodox Church, since it's closely related to the Catholic Church.
[right][snapback]36143[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

AMEN

Since Catholicism isn't a denomination, but rather a Unified Church of Christ, I wouldn't include it. However, If I was an Atheist or Anonostic, I'd probally go to Protestantism.

[quote name='mulls' date='Oct 8 2003, 05:20 PM']wow, i'm surprised.

if not for catholocism, most of you would deny Jesus altogether, so it seems
[right][snapback]37233[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In my opinion, denying Catholicism is denying Jesus altogether. Once you've tasted the fullness of the Catholic Church -- which is truly Christ's Body on Earth -- nothing else, NOTHING else, will substitute. Choosing a Protestant denomination would be severing ones self from Jesus in a very real way.

So there.

Something protestant. It's most in line with what I believe.

Not Mennonite-don't agree with the pacifism bit.
Not Presbyterian-don't agree with Calvinist predestination.
Not likely Baptist-don't agree with a view that says that my family would need to be re-baptised.
Probably not Lutheran-I don't like all of how the Missouri synod is and I'm not too thrilled with the Call to Common Mission that the ELCA has with the Episcopalian church or with certain things like having to discuss views on homosexuality which I think are pretty clear.
Methodist might be ok. Nazarene can't be too bad-it came our of the Methodist church so it's similar.

I'm actually attending a Christian and Missionary Alliance church more with my brother when I usually attend a Calvary Chapel with my parents. That is probably the church I would attend if I was to change churches.

[quote name='Nathan' date='Sep 11 2005, 05:12 AM']In my opinion, denying Catholicism is denying Jesus altogether. Once you've tasted the fullness of the Catholic Church -- which is truly Christ's Body on Earth -- nothing else, NOTHING else, will substitute. Choosing a Protestant denomination would be severing ones self from Jesus in a very real way.

So there.
[right][snapback]719085[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What does that make me? Without Christ?

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Sep 11 2005, 08:24 AM']I think what he means is that if he left the Catholic Church to become a Protestant, not if he was born a Protestant
[right][snapback]719183[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
But even if that happened, he would not be abandoning his faith in Jesus altogether.

I see what ur saying, but i know that if i left the Catholic Church for Protestantism, i think i would miss out on the Eucharist and although i would have my faith in Christ, i would feel, personally, that i would be missing out on the fullness of my faith.

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Sep 11 2005, 10:40 AM']i would feel, personally, that i would be missing out on the fullness of my faith.
[right][snapback]719291[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
As for fullness, that view I could see.

Edited by Light and Truth

When I was leaving the evangelical Church I attended a few years before becoming Catholic, I told my good friend the pastor's eldest son who wanted to change my mind that, "I have reached the point where if I were to no longer believe in the Church I would no longer believe in Christ."

If I were to not be Catholic and try to still be religious, I would probably have to figure that Christ was wrong altogether and become Jewish.

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Sep 11 2005, 09:09 AM']What does that make me?  Without Christ?
[right][snapback]719174[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In a manner of speaking, yes. In a very real way, you are without Christ. Sorry, but Protestantism is bogus. The Catholic Church is Christ's Body, and when you deny the Church you deny Christ. You say to Christ, "Your Church is not good enough for me."