An Old School Catholic Message Board

church and gun control

hopeful1

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1313215901' post='2286868']
throughout history, humanity has not lacked for wars, even without WMDs. unless you count a guy riding a horse into battle hundreds of years ago as a weapon of mass destruction.
[/quote]
So horseback riding needs to be regulated by the state?

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1313287696' post='2287331']
So horseback riding needs to be regulated by the state?
[/quote]

Don't give the government any ideas.....

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1313215901' post='2286868']

Since when has "weapons of mass destruction" meant fighter planes or tanks? and are you forgetting about the masses of humanity that were fighting each other with personal arms?

throughout history, humanity has not lacked for wars, even without WMDs. unless you count a guy riding a horse into battle hundreds of years ago as a weapon of mass destruction.

That section of the catechism is pretty clearly NOT limiting its scope to regulation of WMD's only. You can read that into it, but that is clearly a case of fitting the church teaching to your belief rather than fitting your belief to the church teaching.
[/quote]

You missed my point completely. I don't know how much clearer I can make it. Please reread the post.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1313287522' post='2287326']
"WMD" is itself a rather ill-defined and inexact term, so I think context is needed. The Church has opposed things like the proliferation of nuclear weapons, but has traditionally supported the right of both persons and nations to legitimate defense against agressors.

I don't think it's accurate to read this statement as saying that the state must necessarily ban or heavily regulate the possession of personal firearms by private citizens.

While most would agree that the state has a legitimate right and duty to limit nuclear weapons, biological weapons, or other "WMD"s, where exactly does one draw the line? Should the state ban assault rifles? Handguns? Swords? Knives? Baseball bats? Knowledge of lethal hand-to-hand combat?
[/quote]

Also don't forget, I think the State does have a duty to prevent those who have a history of breaking the law the ability to obtain weapons. You can easily read the CCC as saying the state has a right to regulate the availibilty of firearms to convicted felons.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1313110491' post='2286240']
[img]http://bank.imgdumpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/funny-signs-131-e1291373023318.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
That's crazy dope. Saving it to my photobucket (con permiso).

Maximilianus

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1313432839' post='2288464']
That's crazy dope. Saving it to my photobucket (con permiso).
[/quote]

I got from Dominican Fr. Philip Neri Powell's blog, it found it's way into my photobucket.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1312852939' post='2283652']

[i]2316 The production and the sale of arms affect the common good of nations and of the international community.[b] Hence public authorities have the right and duty to regulate them.[/b] The short-term pursuit of private or collective interests cannot legitimate undertakings that promote violence and conflict among nations and compromise the international juridical order.[/i]
[/quote]
CCC2316 is under avoiding war. I don't think it is applicable to personal firearms such as my .357 next to my fourth rib.

[img]http://fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/gun-control-72.jpg[/img]

Edited by Papist

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1313214485' post='2286863']
I'm more pist that I can't wear my samurai swords in public. The prohibition of Bat'leths really chaps my arse too. What kind of sissy society is this?
[/quote]
No switchblades either. Because West Side Story. They're not sissies---they're damned ninnies.

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1313432629' post='2288457']

Also don't forget, I think the State does have a duty to prevent those who have a history of breaking the law the ability to obtain weapons. You can easily read the CCC as saying the state has a right to regulate the availibilty of firearms to convicted felons.
[/quote]
True, but convicted criminals forfeit a lot of their freedoms.

It is not obvious for me that the CCC is calling for more "gun control" in the usual sense of restricting the rights of private (non-criminal) citizens to keep and bear arms.

Is anyone else confused as to exactly what position J-lol and co. are trying to argue here?

Edited by Socrates

Half the murders here in Edmonton were committed with guns. Since we are officially the murder capitol of Canada now (nicknamed Deadmonton), the local officials are trying to increase the penalties for knives. I will give up my Swiss Army knife when they pull it from my cold dead hand!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1313449023' post='2288624']
Half the murders here in Edmonton were committed with guns. Since we are officially the murder capitol of Canada now (nicknamed Deadmonton), the local officials are trying to increase the penalties for knives. I will give up my Swiss Army knife when they pull it from my cold dead hand!
[/quote]

My mother once forgot to take her swiss army knife off her keys at the airport! Now, her new knife is used to unpack the crazy amount of boxes still in our house!

LaPetiteSoeur

As far as gun control goes, I'm not for guns. Hunting is different; my family has friends who hunt and eat what they hunt. But I do think that ANYONE applying for a gun permit needs a psych exam, and then every 2-3 years get a psych exam.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1313510545' post='2289117']
As far as gun control goes, I'm not for guns. Hunting is different; my family has friends who hunt and eat what they hunt. But I do think that ANYONE applying for a gun permit needs a psych exam, and then every 2-3 years get a psych exam.
[/quote]
:no: