An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Hierarchy

Curious_Protestant

Curious_Protestant

Please define the difference between priests, monks, nuns, and all the other positions available in the church. I would also like any scriptural references that you could provide me supporting this informaiton.

again, someone less typing impaired can explaqin this more fully, but the ref. section has alot of info u could check out:

[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=4690"]http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=4690[/url]

stuff like "The Office of the New "Testament Priest" u might wanna check out

C_P:

How did you become curious, and what brought you to phatmass?

I was once the "curious protestant" here at phatmass and after years of intense study became Catholic. I'm actually a very new Catholic and am happy to help answer any questions you have.

Curious_Protestant

I am a deacon at my church, a Church of Christ, and have been involved in several debates with Roman Catholics on the internet lately. I realized I did not have much information on how the church operated, and am basically arming myself for verbal battle. I am not interested in joining any lengthy debates, as I am busy with my Master's homework, which I should be doing right now. I am curious because I keep hearing Catholics say things, and then use scripture to back their views up. Upon investigating the scripture, I constantly come across a whole lot of misinterperetation, assumptions, and a whole lot of plain misunderstandings. Don't get me wrong, I love catholics very much, but I believe that they are confused and mislead in many of their beliefs. I appreciate the information you are providing.

Laudate_Dominum

well if you ever have time (I can relate btw) I'm up for a peaceful discussion regarding Catholic doctrines or whatever. :)
I actually think that protestants are "confused and mislead in many of their beliefs" so it would seem there is potential for an interesting conversation.

Peace.

Well, answer me this, how can a church started by a regular man be the right church? I always wonder how someone arrives at that conclusion, because we Catholics can trace our founding back to Christ. We also have Tradition which we base our Faith on, we aren't Sola Scriptura. Just curious how you arrive at your logic for that one! God bless!

Perhaps a good book such as the Catechism of the Catholic Church then, is in order. Whether or not you take us Catholics seriously when we say we have the fullness of truth, we do. :) People far more knowledgable and wise than you or I have left Protestantism for the Catholic Church.

Welcome to phatmass. Hopefully you will find answers.

Curious_Protestant

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 28 2004, 10:15 PM'] People far more knowledgable and wise than you or I have left Protestantism for the Catholic Church.

Welcome to phatmass. Hopefully you will find answers. [/quote]
And vice versa, I assure you

Curious,
I suggest then checking out the links to the Catechism through the [b]reading room[/b] link above. If you are a deacon in your church, I'm sure you understand that not every member of your congregation has the same level of knowledge as you. The Catechism will give you the correct answer about Catholicism, and you wouldn't be getting possible misunderstandings from us regular lay people. You are asking good questions, but you seem to only want quick simple answers, which cannot be the complete answer.

Are you up to the challenge of correctly understanding Catholicism? Or are you just looking for ammo, even if it's based on half-truths?

[quote name='Curious_Protestant' date='Sep 28 2004, 11:38 PM'] I am a deacon at my church, a Church of Christ, and have been involved in several debates with Roman Catholics on the internet lately. I realized I did not have much information on how the church operated, and am basically arming myself for verbal battle. I am not interested in joining any lengthy debates, as I am busy with my Master's homework, which I should be doing right now. I am curious because I keep hearing Catholics say things, and then use scripture to back their views up. Upon investigating the scripture, I constantly come across a whole lot of misinterperetation, assumptions, and a whole lot of plain misunderstandings. Don't get me wrong, I love catholics very much, but I believe that they are confused and mislead in many of their beliefs. I appreciate the information you are providing. [/quote]
Of course this assumes that your interpretations, assumptions, and understandings are correct. :D

Since the New Testament is Catholic Scripture and was defined by the Catholic Church, of course we can back everything up. THe Bible is Catholic. :)