An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patriotic Songs In Mass

voiciblanche

I was thinking about putting this in Open Mic, but there isn't any debating allowed in Open Mic, so, to be on the safe side, I put it in here.

So, to the point. At the parish I'm a part of, there's been patriotic songs like "America the Beautiful" and "America (My Country Tis of Thee)," etc, as the closing songs for Mass several weeks in a row.

I personally don't like it because it's ten to fifteen minutes after receiving Christ, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, and we're putting all the focus on our country instead of Him and the Gift He just gave us.

What do you guys think about this?

Im mixed on it because we are supposed to thank god for the lovely nation in which we live...at the same time i am :S about after communion and i dont think so as part of mass maybe as a seperate time.

Thy Geekdom Come

If the focus is on the grandeur of the nation God gave us, then it's fine, IMO, but if it's just glorifying the state without reference to God, then I wouldn't use it.

ROME, NOV. 25, 2003 (Zenit) - Answered by Father Edward McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical Athenaeum.

Several readers asked me to comment as to the propriety and orthodoxy of particular hymns and songs, for example singing patriotic songs such as "America the Beautiful."

While patriotic hymns should not be the norm, local custom may allow for them on special occasions such as Independence Day. Healthy patriotism has always been considered a Christian virtue. Nonetheless, even when permitted by the bishops, it appears most appropriate to reserve them as closing hymns, sung after the blessing and dismissal, rather than during Mass itself.

[url="http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=526"]http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=526[/url]

[color=blue]I Like that answer......[/color]

Edited by Sinner

See i would like the singing of God save the queen because its putting trust in God...but like Maple Leaf Forever or whatever no way.

Sinner, your post was right on! I agree with Father McNamara...only on special occassion holidays and only as closing songs.

However, what would it hurt to have it as a second closing song?

[quote name='Oik' date='Sep 19 2004, 11:46 PM'] However, what would it hurt to have it as a second closing song? [/quote]
From my experience, you'd have to sing it in the parking lot... <_<

Why, oh why are people always in such a hurry to get out of mass?

No national flags are allowed in the church, why would we sing nationalist songs? I go to church to worship God, not America. If I want to do that I'd go to the VFW hall, or the courthouse.

peace...

Where does it say no national flags are allowed in church?

Plenty of conservative parishes have Old Glory inside the church!

Singing "God bless America" is worshipping God, not America.
I would agree that this should only be done in moderation, such as on Independence Day, etc.

Kilroy the Ninja

While I don't like having the flag in our santuary, I do like when we sing "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". Go figure.

The Battle Hymn of the Republic gives me goosebumps. ^_^ (I'm not so keen on it being a "battle" hymn in the context of history, but that's a different can of worms...)

Good answer from catholic.org!

Some of those hymns are quite lovely when you read the lyrics in their entirety. You got us Catholics wondering if they're suitable for the end of mass, and the ACLU-loving atheists grousing that they're songs about God. But then again the Protestants sure like 'em so much, they wrote them! ;)

Actually, when you read the lyrics they are, in essence, songs written to glorify God:

[i]
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored,
He has loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps
His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnish`d rows of steel,
"As ye deal with my contemners, So with you my grace shall deal;"
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

[/i]

And as a prayer to God.
[i]
"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer. "
God Bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.

[/i]

If it's a song of prayer to God asking him to bless our country on a national holiday (and not a song glorifying our nation over God) then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I can appreciate that they don't have the american flag in our churches, because we aren't just citizens of one nation, we are citizens of a world.

^_^

No offence intended but what about if you have tourists from other countries on holiday joining in the Mass? I'd feel really odd singing a patriotic song to a country in that circumstance.

[quote]See i would like the singing of God save the queen because its putting trust in God...[/quote]

Maybe in Canada, Crusader_4, but that's never going to happen in the UK! Mind you, perhaps that's because the royals have a particular place in Catholic history in the UK....

Humans are social creatures. We form nations for social order here on earth. Patriotism is not anti-Catholic. Just as a little yeast leavens bread, so does bringing God into our patriotic perspective enlighten and guide us to healthy and appropriate national pride. I don't see why a foriegner should be offended over the singing of a patriotic song in Church. It puts into perspective God doesn't hate other nationalities. All nations shall bow to God and a proper perspective of God will illuminate other nations as our brothers.

[quote name='PedroX' date='Sep 20 2004, 03:36 PM'] No national flags are allowed in the church, why would we sing nationalist songs? I go to church to worship God, not America. If I want to do that I'd go to the VFW hall, or the courthouse.

peace... [/quote]
Actually yes they are.