An Old School Catholic Message Board

Senseless Capitalization Of Certain Nouns

Chris Zewe

I find this Entire matter to be Completely Ridiculous. Capitalizing Letters is a Perfectly Acceptable means of assigning a Sort of Proper Nounhood to otherwise unremarkable Words and Phrases.

Edited by Arpy

In all seriousness, I capitalize specific words in online postings as a way of emphasizing my respect and devotion to something without having to mess with italics or bolding or underlining. Typically, I will capitalize the name/titles of God, the Sacraments of the Church, and occasionally words such as "Truth" when I am emphasizing them in what I believe to be an objective/ideal sense (which thus elevates it to the dignity God's Truth). As an aside, I may at times intentionally not capitalize something that may otherwise be typically capitalized by members of other faith traditions as a subtle way of emphasizing my own lack of devotion or acceptance. I rarely capitalize the word protestant.

Edited by Veridicus

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Veridicus' date='01 December 2009 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1259643625' post='2012372']
In all seriousness, I capitalize specific words in online postings as a way of emphasizing my respect and devotion to something without having to mess with italics or bolding or underlining. Typically, I will capitalize the name/titles of God, the Sacraments of the Church, and occasionally words such as "Truth" when I am emphasizing them in what I believe to be an objective/ideal sense (which thus elevates it to the dignity God's Truth). As an aside, I may at times intentionally not capitalize something that may otherwise be typically capitalized by members of other faith traditions as a subtle way of emphasizing my own lack of devotion or acceptance. I rarely capitalize the word protestant.
[/quote]

I deliberately do not capitalise old nick and satan to distinguish it from people named Nick or Satan :hehe:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 November 2009 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1259352418' post='2010312']
Good point. Although we probably get a lot of secondhand pot smoke from the west.
[/quote]

Ya well, I'm sure the tourists don't notice the lakes of black tar-pools coming from the Tar sands either,.

[size="1"]And Toronto has won more Stanley cups than all Alberta NHL teams combined![/size]

Tar sands is such a loaded term. :rolleyes:

Toronto has been around longer than all Alberta NHL teams combined. Plus back at the start there were only six teams and it wasn't that hard to win. ;)

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='02 December 2009 - 02:40 AM' timestamp='1259682042' post='2012503']
Like Miroslav Satan. :D
[/quote]

Really! (As he raises a Spock surprised eyebrow) What does the little curl above the S denote?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='01 December 2009 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1259690553' post='2012552']
Tar sands is such a loaded term. :rolleyes:

Toronto has been around longer than all Alberta NHL teams combined. Plus back at the start there were only six teams and it wasn't that hard to win. ;)
[/quote]
Tar sands are loaded with Tar - its a fact!
Whatever helps you sleep at night after spending a day destroying the environment for everyone else.

Less teams - yes. But the NHL was also a higher caliber because fewer teams sahred the talent. And i'm ot just saying that because the Leafs are losers since 1967!

Jealousy does not befit you - tsk tsk.

I would suggest a duel if I didn't expect Rexi to happen by and see it. I think a suitable compromise would be fisticuffs to first blood. What do you say? :smokey:

No weapons; fisticuffs. You central-ers... :rolleyes:

Although if I were to choose blunt weapons, I'd pick a bo staff, a jo, and two kubotans. :)

[quote name='Didacus' date='07 December 2009 - 08:03 AM' timestamp='1260194615' post='2015698']
Do teeth and nails count as a weapon? 'cause if they do, my sister needs to be informed.
:detective:
[/quote]
That's generally seen as unsportsmanlike... :unsure: