An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Unto Others

megamattman1

I admit I stumble with my Catholic faith too much. But one thing I have never stumbled on is, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". That is, I have never stumbled on knowing that in and of itself, it is true.

I have sort of stumbled or been curious or whatever about how to interpret it. It seems straightforward at first of course. But is it like should I put myself in the person I am doing unto's shoes or should I put myself into their shoes with what I would have done if I were them in mind, if you know what I mean.

Example. If I go to church, should I insist that someone else go to church that does not want to? If it were me in their shoes, I would want someone to do what's best for me even if I didn't want it. Then, I wouldn't someone insisting that I don't go to church who thinks it's best for me, so maybe I shouldn't do it to the other person.

If we were a lawmakers, would I disallow legal contraceptive manufacturing because I would want to be corrected if I were in those who use its shoes? I would want someone to correct my misbehavior. Then again, I wouldn't want someone telling me myself something to that effect, so ma;ybe I shouldn't do it to the other person.

Those might not be a good examples. I'm sure there's a better ones when I get time. But maybe there's room to grow in understanding this simple phrase.

Edited by megamattman1

For your examples, I would offer to take the person to church. But if the person is consistently refusing then you have to preach without words, that is, teach with your actions.

The second would have to do with morals. If you were able to prevent an evil from happening you should.

We must remember that it is a Corporal Work of Mercy to instruct the ignorant meaning that we teach those who do not know what they are doing in a loving manner.

• 1 year later...
dairygirl4u2c

Interesting thread...

So are you saying that one should take the stance that: even though that person doesn't want to be corrected and I wouldn't want to be technically in their situation, that I shouldn't take the position that I shouldn't impose those rules? That I should take the stance that on an ultimate scale I'd want to be corrected?

Edited by dairygirl4u2c