An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraception

avemaria40

Is contraception a sin?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PadreSantiago

[quote]now, the morning-after pill is obviously dead plain abortion. but even hormonal pills AND patches are abortificient, i.e. able to cause abortion.[/quote]

Ok just to inform people out there. The morning after pill DOES NOT ALLOW THE EGG TO EVER LEAVE THE OVARIES. IT IS NOT ABORTION IF NOTHING IS ALIVE TO KILL. The egg is never fertalized. To make things simple this would be like planting a seed and then just never feeding or watering it. Can something die if it never lived? Explain how that's abortion please.

[quote]Actually, a woman can take the pill and not sin. However, in order for her to not sin, she and her husband must abstain until all effects of the pill are passed.[/quote]

This makes no sense why even take the pill in the first place?

[quote]conctraception is anything that prevents a woman getting pregnent. this includes all the stuff that prevents semen from entering, and all the ways they have the egg not grow once its fertilized, or rather all the ways the egg is prevented frm being fertilized. and to an extent, abortion. basically anything that allows the two to have sex without worrying about having a kid from it.
[/quote]

So I shouldn't wear condoms? What is wrong with wanting to strengthen the bonds between me and my signficant other everyday if I have to worry about getting her preggers.

Guest Not Chris Zewe

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Oct 16 2005, 12:34 PM']I'd throw in "not surpising".

The early feminists were about dignity of woman and family life. They wanted to be able to vote so that they could influence decisions in their countries which had repercussions on their families.

They knew full well (being virtuous and intelligent women) that things like birth control and abortion would destroy both women AND family.
[right][snapback]760278[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, because having a kid you don't want or can't afford by accident is like [b]totally[/b] an excellent way to improve family life.

[quote]So I shouldn't wear condoms? What is wrong with wanting to strengthen the bonds between me and my signficant other everyday if I have to worry about getting her preggers.[/quote]

The Bible tells you not to. Duh.

The rest of you kiddies...mreh.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Nov 11 2005, 08:23 AM']Ok just to inform people out there.  The morning after pill DOES NOT ALLOW THE EGG TO EVER LEAVE THE OVARIES.  IT IS NOT ABORTION IF NOTHING IS ALIVE TO KILL.  The egg is never fertalized.  To make things simple this would be like planting a seed and then just never feeding or watering it.  Can something  die if it never lived?  Explain how that's abortion please.[/quote]it's the everyday pill that prevents fertilization (yes, that's the correct spelling). the Morning After pill is for the morning after sex. since the egg is fertilized within minutes (not days), it is an abortion. were you sleeping during the birds and bees bit of biology class?
[quote]This makes no sense why even take the pill in the first place? [/quote] for medical reasons to regulate a woman's hormones.
[quote]So I shouldn't wear condoms?  What is wrong with wanting to strengthen the bonds between me and my signficant other everyday if I have to worry about getting her preggers.
[right][snapback]785615[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]what's so strengthening if your significant is just your friction device. since you call her a significant, she must not be your wife so it's obvious you aren't interested in strong bonds in the first place.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='Not Chris Zewe' date='Nov 11 2005, 09:37 AM']Yes, because having a kid you don't want or can't afford by accident is like [b]totally[/b] an excellent way to improve family life.[/quote]all kinds of accidents happen. deal with it. maybe i shouldn't ride in cars because i never want my wife to have to deal with a car accident. but i don't want to walk so i accept the risks.
[quote]The Bible tells you not to.  Duh.
The rest of you kiddies...mreh.
[right][snapback]785629[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]what does mreh mean?

PadreSantiago

ok I made the important parts in bold just to make it easy. And also what are you peoples thoughts on rape victims. Should they also not use the morning after pill because that would be a sin?

"There are two types of morning after pill available. One morning after pill uses the hormones estrogen and progestin - the same hormones used in standard birth control. The other morning after pill uses progestin only. [b]The morning after pill acts to delay ovulation, prevents fertilization, or inhibits implantation by altering the endometrium. It is not effective if a woman is pregnant and cannot terminate an established pregnancy. [/b]The morning after pill is most effective during the first 24 hours after having unprotected sex, but can be effective for up to 72 hours."

So lets review children The hormones in the morning after pill may stop an egg from being released. Or they may stop a fertilised egg from implanting itself in the womb. You heard it here first the morning after pill CANNOT terminate an established pregnancy

also StatingTheObvious I wear a condom for safety reasons because I believe in sex before marriage.

It still terminates a human life if the zygote is not permitted to implant in the womb. Also, it seems something wrong with society if we have to protect ourselves from our partners. That's why I believe sex is for marriage

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:05 PM']or inhibits implantation by altering the endometrium.
also StatingTheObvious I wear a condom for safety reasons because I believe in sex before marriage.
[right][snapback]785841[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

inhibiting implantation means you are [u][b]PREGNANT[/b],[/u] and you will lose the baby because it cannot implant in the womb.

Sex before marriage means you don't have the guts to make a committment to a lifelong relationship before you reap the benefits.

[i]Women are not made for test rides.[/i]

I have always been okay with birth control. I myself dont have sex, and am not really planning on it till I find someone special, but then again, not everybody acts or thinks like I do. Hormones are hormones, and people are going to seek pleasurable company no matter what. Who knows, with the way our population continues to explode, we may start needing it someday.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 11 2005, 05:47 PM']Sex before marriage means you don't have the guts to make a committment to a lifelong relationship before you reap the benefits.

[i]Women are not made for test rides.[/i]
[right][snapback]786027[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you! I agree with you 100%!!!

I think that contraceptions is a sin, and no exceptions...people talk about over-population, well there are more abortions done then their are births in one day...not including those using contraception.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='Ken' date='Nov 12 2005, 02:18 AM']Considering the amount of people who die everyday due to starvation and disease, that seems to be a pretty odd statistic.
[right][snapback]786255[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]it's not because we don't have enough food they are hungry, it's because politics can't get the food to them. poverty and disease and starvation are usually caused by war, not overpopulation and efforts to send help are blocked by war and politics, not becase the airports are too crowded with starved sick people standing on the runway.

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:55 PM']since the egg is fertilized within minutes (not days), it is an abortion.
[right][snapback]785636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually, it's more like hours - anything up to 72 hours depending when the egg is released. The MAP [i]can[/i] act to prevent fertilisation, similar to most versions of the Pill/patch/implant, but both can prevent implantation too.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='Deeds' date='Nov 12 2005, 11:52 AM']Actually, it's more like hours - anything up to 72 hours depending when the egg is released. The MAP [i]can[/i] act to prevent fertilisation, similar to most versions of the Pill/patch/implant, but both can prevent implantation too.
[right][snapback]786371[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
thanks professor peabody. :lol: but can it happen in minutes if the egg is slumming around at the end of the fallopian tube?

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Nov 11 2005, 01:05 PM']also StatingTheObvious I wear a condom for safety reasons because I believe in sex before marriage.
[right][snapback]785841[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Then that's the root of your problem right there.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Ken' date='Nov 12 2005, 12:56 AM']I have always been okay with birth control. I myself dont have sex, and am not really planning on it till I find someone special, but then again, not everybody acts or thinks like I do. Hormones are hormones, and people are going to seek pleasurable company no matter what. Who knows, with the way our population continues to explode, we may start needing it someday.
[right][snapback]786206[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You are looking for someone special because you want someone special to be the one who receives you or because you want to receive someone special in intimacy?

Either way, no one's receiving anything when they use contraception...people who use it are holding their fertility to themselves greedily. It's like being offered a feast and going dumpster diving instead.