An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraception

avemaria40

Is contraception a sin?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd throw in "not surpising".

The early feminists were about dignity of woman and family life. They wanted to be able to vote so that they could influence decisions in their countries which had repercussions on their families.

They knew full well (being virtuous and intelligent women) that things like birth control and abortion would destroy both women AND family.

Jedi_StClaire

We need another woman like Susan B. Anthony. If she were alive today, I'd hope she'd be a prolife feminist and that's who I'd nominate for the Supreme Court.

termitescoming4u!

yea, that's so true. use of contraception really makes sex an act of lust and sin iby preventing a true union between a man and woman. it also prevents the use of sex for the purpose for which God has designed it [to bear children], for He said be frutiful and multiply.

Edited by termitescoming4u!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jedi_StClaire' date='Oct 16 2005, 10:51 PM']We need another woman like Susan  B. Anthony.  If she were alive today, I'd hope she'd be a prolife feminist and that's who I'd nominate for the Supreme Court.
[right][snapback]760626[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Susan B. Anthony did say that abortion is murder and that treating children as though they were property is degrading to womanhood. the early femiists were mostly prolife and Christian, and fought for their rights to help raise their families, and they recognized abortion and birth control as excuses for men to act on their lusts without any future commitment, since he wouldn't have to marry the woman since there would be no baby.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Oct 22 2005, 02:37 AM'][img]http://www.sacredcowburgers.com/parodies/the_clinton_legacy.jpg[/img]
[right][snapback]767070[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I like.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Actually, a woman can take the pill and not sin. However, in order for her to not sin, she and her husband must abstain until all effects of the pill are passed.

Just thought I'd throw that in the ring.

I am quite convinced that contraception and birth control and whatever else you want to call it is wrong. However the other week in CCD (religious education or whatever you want to call it) the deacon who teaches our sexuality class said something that weirded me out a bit:
He was asked why contraceptives are bad, and he responded with something like, "[i]Certain[/i] methods of birth control are wrong, such as those that kill the child after fertilization. Those types are like abortion. Other types prevent fertilization"
:huh:
He also asked what the purpose of sex was, and my best friend said, "To create children."
He said, "That is an old belief. But actually sex has two purposes; it also strengthens the bond between spouses."

These comments were just worded kind of weird, you know? Plus this class mostly spoon-feeds us statistics about teen parents and birth control unreliability and STDs. :unsure:

He may be errenously labeling Natural Family Planning as 'birth control', but if he is referring to anything else he is wrong.

Sex can be said to have two purposes. I actually have a really old moral theology book in Latin that says there are two purposes (unless I'm misreading the Latin, :lol:, I'm certainly no expert). Those two purposes are unified though. The unitive purpose is in itself worthless if it is not allowing for the fleshified expression of that union-- a child. So bringing the couple together as one flesh is a purpose, but it must be the essential part of that primary purpose that fleshifies that expression and participates in the awesome creative power of Almighty God.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 13 2005, 09:19 AM']That's SO bad.

I've not thought about Iran Contra in a looooong time.
[right][snapback]721645[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
wow...i just reread this thread. that WAS a bad, bad pun. Bad Claire!

in my classes they talk about the role of the media in Iran Contra a lot.