An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmel of The Holy Spirit, Sheffield (Kirk Edge) is closing

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

A friend of mine from this forum wrote to me that Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Monastery of The Holy Spirit, Sheffield is closing.

This Carmel is one of the most conservative and traditional Carmels following the 1990 Constitutions.  This is a wonderful monastery and based on the photos I saw, they are of French origin Carmel (the habit is "French style") and still wears the alpargatas or hemp sandals.

I am sad to hear this news.  

Gracian-

Do you know if their numbers are so low and/or their ages and health issues such that they are being supressed? I recall a phatmasser who entered there about 10 years ago, so I was thinking of her and wondering whether the nuns would be dispersed or be able to remain together. I also recall it being a very old monastery and wonder if it needed a great deal of much repair and updating that was prohibitive to remaining open.

Prayers for all the nuns there as they move through the process of closing. May God give them strength and consolation.

I think a phatmass poster did enter there but didn't stay.  But she did love the place.  I hope the nuns find suitable convent  to relocate to 

graciandelamadrededios
On 9/17/2024 at 3:12 PM, Graciela said:

Gracian-

Do you know if their numbers are so low and/or their ages and health issues such that they are being supressed? I recall a phatmasser who entered there about 10 years ago, so I was thinking of her and wondering whether the nuns would be dispersed or be able to remain together. I also recall it being a very old monastery and wonder if it needed a great deal of much repair and updating that was prohibitive to remaining open.

Prayers for all the nuns there as they move through the process of closing. May God give them strength and consolation.

Hello Graciela, 

Unfortunately, the specific reason why they closed was not disclosed so it could be the aging members of the community, few younger nuns, building issues, etc.  There is no news online.

Based on what I saw on the vocation brochure that the Nuns provided, majority of its members are old and that was several years ago.  In addition to that, UK has few vocations for religious life and even fewer for cloistered life.  

This is sad but a reality of the situation nowadays.