An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Prayers

Franciscus Carmelus

Franciscus Carmelus

Praised be Jesus Christ! Hello, especially to friends in Carmel here. Do you know of the community prayers that Carmelite nuns/friars/sisters pray? Aside from the Mass and Liturgy of the Hours of course. For example, their morning offering prayers, upon rising, dressing prayers, prayers before and after meditation, evening community/devotional prayers, commemorations, etc. Thank you for your answers. Pax!

graciandelamadrededios

PRAYERS OF THE DISCALCED CARMELITE NUNS

O my God, I wake on this break of Day to think of Thee, to love Thee and to serve Thee.  Behold me, O my God, Thy holy will shall be mine, I will observe it with all my heart the whole of this day.    

WHILE DRESSING     

Lord, prepare my soul interiorly while I prepare my body to go to Choir.  Clothe me, O my God, with the fervor of Thy Divine Spirit and with the precious gifts of Thy grace

PUTTING ON THE HABIT                                    

Clothe me, O my God, with Thy holy religious practices so that I may appear before Thee such as our habit and profession require.                                       

THE GIRDLE                                                           

Unite me to Thee, O my God in an     intimate union and attach me to Thee in the bonds of charity the links of which may never break   

THE TOQUE                                                                                  

Conside, O my soul, the whiteness of this toque represents the purity of conscience you should have in order to please God.  O Lord, grant me this grace, to die rather than to defile my soul by any sin. Purify it in Thy Precious Blood and grant me perfect contrition for my sins.       

THE VEIL                                                                                                        

This veil should teach me, Lord, that I should die to the world and to myself so as to live no longer but for Thee.  Grant me, therefore, the grace that nothing of this miserable life may remain in me, which prevents my union with Thee. 

THE SCAPULAR                                                                                                                       

Lord, grant me the grace to carry with joy and love Thy yoke and burden all the days of my life.

THE MANTLE

O spotless Lamb of God, adorn Me with the purity with which all those are adorned who follow Thee.

MORNING PRAYER

Live, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, now and at each hour! Into the wounds of Jesus and in the sweet hearts of Mary and Joseph I commend myself.  O my God, I offer Thee all the movements, my life, my work and my death.  In the name of Jesus and in the hearts of Mary and Saint Joseph I wish this day to commence, offer and terminate everything.  Lord I unite myself to all the Holy Communions, to all the holy Sacrifices of the Mass, to all the good works, and to all the indulgences of the Catholic Church in which I wish to participate and apply to the souls in Purgatory.

GOING OUT OF THE CELL

Do me the favor, my Lord and my God, that my heart remain in solitude, never losing Thy divine presence, but that I may ever remain united to Thee, my Way, my Truth and my Life.  All for Jesus and Mary! Judge me not, O my God according to the purity of Thy Eternal Son, but consult rather Thy mercy in my judgment and place the blood and death of Jesus Christ between Thee and Thy poor creature. Amen, sweet Jesus, Amen.

Source:

Carmel of St. Joseph

Seattle, Washington, USA

***Important Note - Not all Discalced Carmelite Nuns say these prayers nowadays since each community has the power to create their own custom books / house statutes / community directory.

Franciscus Carmelus

Thank you for this, Gracian. How about the Commemorations and their evening devotions? Also, are you familiar with the Grace book that I always read in Carmelite books? Thank you. Pax!

graciandelamadrededios

it should be under the Ceremonial and Custom Book.  I have to check.

graciandelamadrededios

PAPER OF EXACTIONS OF THE Discalced Carmelite Nuns OF THE ORDER OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL TAKEN FROM THE TRADITIONS OF OUR SPANISH MOTHERS AND FOUNDRESSES.

@Franciscus Carmelus please PM me and provide me your email address so I can send you a copy of the above in pdf form.  The Lisieux Carmel Archive removed the pdf file and fortunately, I save a copy.