An Old School Catholic Message Board

Disabled men discerning/interested

OneHeart

OneHeart

Hello:

I haven't been on here for a while and life has certainly been happening!

I'm professed in OCDS and am discerning a Private Vow.  My living situation is such that we have an open room for rent in my home for an adult male.   My disabled adult son lives with me, and another disabled young man, and myself. This is fundamentally a "disabled" male household, with myself as sort of house-mom. We are very dedicated to a robust sacramental and prayer life, and have another room open for someone who is interested in joining the household. I own the house, so this is a stable situation.  I've had other catholic men rent this room but they didn't share our prayer life, and it was just kind of awkward having a disunified household, so we are explicitly looking for someone who would join our prayer life habitually. 

My son is autistic and the other fellow is blind.  I am not offering a "program" and I am only looking for someone who is pretty self-sufficient and can contribute to the home life and be active in the community to the extent they are able.  Ie, my son, who is on SSI, goes to a day program for a few hours, volunteers at the sacristy, and makes dinner every night.  The other fellow does all the laundry and is involved in an outreach and Legion of Mary.  As a household, we get up at 5:30AM and go to Lauds at 6:00AM, and stay for 7:00AM Mass, and I go back to church in the evening for Vespers, and we say a rosary before bed.  We would like to add Compline at home as well.  We have a fondness for TLM but sometimes go to the N.O. and also partake of some excellent eastern liturgies from time to time.  We just like beautiful liturgies however they come.  I've been told that this Parish is one of the "five best places to live as a Catholic" in the USA.  We have 24 hour adoration, and lots of activities.  I work full time from home and can be supportive (ie I do all the driving!) but I expect whomever to "pitch in" as they are able to some degree and not just rely on me completely.  So, this is "disability friendly" but it is not a "program".  Rent is required but low enough so that someone on SSI can afford this.  We have two very friendly cuddly cats and an old boxer who thinks he's a lapdog, and a good air circulation system. 

Another alternative is for a non-disabled man who is interested in working with people with disabilities, who would also be interested in joining our prayer regime.

If you are interested or if you know someone who might be interested in this arrangement, please message me and we can start a conversation and see if this is a fit.  

• 3 weeks later...