An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feed Your Ears

Luigi

The old warhorse "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" as performed by Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980. I doubt you've heard it this way before, with electric fiddle, piano glissandos, and lyrics personalized (occasionally) to Jerry Lee. 

Sister Ida Maxey sings "I Don't Know Why," written by Dr. Thomas A. Dorsey. This was recorded in 1974 but the song was written well before that. It's just a piano and Sister Ida's voice. 

Picking up on Jesus' teaching in today's Gospel, here is Out of the Dust with their song "Love Your Enemies." This is a husband and wife group from Tennessee; they married, divorced after Christopher lost his faith, and remarried when he recovered his faith. The song has an interesting beat/syncopation, and I like Stephanie's voice on the offset repeated lines. (And it doesn't hurt that their name picks up on our own dUSt!)

Edited by Luigi

This one's just for fun - Ed Bruce singing "Jesus Loved the Hell Out of Me," a song he co-wrote with John Thompson. It's a sort of Texas swing recounting of what happened after his conversion. 

The Salem Travelers with "When on the Cross." This is "slow Gospel." It's got some shouted highlights here and there, but the beat is slow and steady throughout. It also has an interesting explanation that I've never heard before about why the sky went dark during the crucifixion. May you have a fruitful feast of the Exaltation of the Cross. 

A quick little bluegrass song called "Get Behind Me, Satan." It doesn't tell the story from today's Gospel; it addresses the singer's struggles and determination. By Wayne Yocom in 1977. I can find exactly NO information about him online - he must have been a minor recording artist, but his song is still available on YouTube!

Here are The Sensational Nightingales singing "Take Your Burden to the Lord." This is a male quartet, but the three harmony singers sound almost like a choir. It's a fairly slow, quiet song of encouragement. 

Aretha Franklin, 1972, at the New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles with her soulful version of the old classic "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." She was in top form. I also love the choir director - he's getting an aerobic workout!