An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Guardian Angel Has My Back

Didacus

tinytherese

I named my guardian angel Benedict after the Holy Father. I talk with mine everyday and ask for my guardian angel to cooperate with someone else's guardian angel that I know that has brought a lot of pain in my life and still continues to do so.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1894520' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:20 PM']I named my guardian angel Benedict after the Holy Father. I talk with mine everyday and ask for my guardian angel to cooperate with someone else's guardian angel that I know that has brought a lot of pain in my life and still continues to do so.[/quote]

I do too! I ask my G.Angels to talk to someone else's G. Angels --- whatyaknow. :)

[quote name='Jon' post='1894585' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:02 PM']I do too! I ask my G.Angels to talk to someone else's G. Angels --- whatyaknow. :)[/quote]

I never thought of that. I admit, it has potential.
:saint:

inunionwithrome

Why, Sherlock, I think that is an excellent idea! I will have to start doing that and maybe it will even get you brownie points in Heaven! :)

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1894520' date='Jun 17 2009, 03:20 PM']I named my guardian angel Benedict after the Holy Father. I talk with mine everyday and ask for my guardian angel to cooperate with someone else's guardian angel that I know that has brought a lot of pain in my life and still continues to do so.[/quote]

Don't angels already have names of their own? I've never heard of anyone having the.. er... boldness to name an angel.

tinytherese

[quote name='Patrick' post='1896737' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:14 PM']Don't angels already have names of their own? I've never heard of anyone having the.. er... boldness to name an angel.[/quote]

Yes, but I don't see the harm in having a nickname for your guardian angel. It makes them more personal and real to you.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

I too have had pleasent surprises with my guardin angel. When i was about 7 or so, i was in the back of our station wagon without any seat or belt, and the back window was broken out. ok so we were traveling and someone ran into the back of our vehicle pretty hard and i went flying out the back, landed on the other cars hood bounced on to the ground with my feet and startied running to m y moms car. All without a scratch. I beleive my GA bore me up in his hands. Thanks be to God that the back window was already broken out or else i would of been terribly damaged.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

My other main experience with my GA was more confirmative. My lil bro and I were riding our bikes to church. Keep in mind my bro was not at all too familiar with riding a bike. So as we were riding on the sidewalk i was getting concerned about him getting hit by a car because he was swerving on his bike. So as we were approaching the crosswalk i said the GA prayer for my GA to protect me and tell my brothers GA to be on guard since he more than likely wasnt calling upon his for protection. so not even 7 seconds after that prayer as i was riding across the crosswalk a guy who was looking my way just went and ran me over. well i probably would have died or suffered terrible injury, but my handle bar got pinned under his front bumper and he felt the tug and stopped. befor that he didnt see me being pulled underneath his car. So thanks be to God and my GA. Im not too sure yet but i beleive my GA's name is Andrew.

But also i want to say that GA's do not have sexes. Although they may have feminen or masculin traits they do not have sexes. Check it in the Catechism...Interesting.

Thanks for the good stories guys. It helps me remember all the blessings God has given me aswell.

[quote name='Patrick' post='1896737' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:14 PM']Don't angels already have names of their own? I've never heard of anyone having the.. er... boldness to name an angel.[/quote]
I mirror your sentiments.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1891125' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:00 AM']I would be slow to adapt Jon's methods for many reasons. One being that you can "trick" yourself into believing certain things that your angel is "telling" you, and two, you want to be careful that you don't open yourself up to evil disguised as good. Be slow and pray about your angel. It's a relationship and a private matter that should be treated like a companionship with another person, I think.[/quote]
I agree with this, very strongly.
[quote name='inunionwithrome' post='1894266' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:50 AM']I always tell my children that if you are a boy you do not necessarily have a boy angel and if you are a girl you do not necessarily have a girl angel. You can have a girl angel if you are a boy and a boy angel if you are a girl. The guardian angel will tell you their names. Ask for you and be real quiet and listen. St. Gabriel is mine and I"m a girl![/quote]
Your angel is neither male or female - the Church teaches that angels do not have genders.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1897773' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:25 PM']I mirror your sentiments.[/quote]
Well archangels apparently have names. I'll bet regular ones probably do as well. As to naming them ourselves though... I'd avoid it. Boldness was the correct term. It would feel kind of presumptuous to me.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1897928' date='Jun 21 2009, 08:56 PM']the Church teaches that angels do not have genders.[/quote]

The word [i]angelus[/i] does indeed have a grammatical gender. It is masculine, as are the names [i]Michael[/i], [i]Gabriel[/i], and [i]Raphael[/i].

However, angels, as they are pure spirits, do not have sex. (Don't laugh.)

Edited by Resurrexi

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898243' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:48 AM']The word [i]angelus[/i] does indeed have a grammatical gender. It is masculine, as are the names [i]Michael[/i], [i]Gabriel[/i], and [i]Raphael[/i].[/quote]
I wasn't talking about the word. I always understood it that they were depicted as being males, simply to help relate to man - I'm certain that I've heard that they, as purely spiritual entities, are genderless.

[quote]However, angels, as they are pure spirits, do not have sex.[/quote]
Naturally.

[quote](Don't laugh.)[/quote]
Don't worry. :rolleyes: