An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Mother's Plea For Modesty

Lil Red

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ+

This is one awesome article! I'm sending it along to a few of my Catholic buddies who, well, refuse to accept what God wants when it comes to clothing... I'm sure they will all enjoy it ;) Modesty is a big issue these days... HS was sad... there were rules in the handbook, but no one followed them and no one enforced them... I wish we could ALL go back to true modesty... My mom is kind of against modesty... I wear looser clothes and jeans a lot, not only because they are comfortable, but because they are mosdest. She says I look like crud in them and that I should wear tighter tops and other things... SHe agrees with the low cut top thing, totally out of the question. SHe doesn't like me wearing my Church t-shirts either... She's threatened to throw away all my t-shirts before... But modesty is very much needed. I feel naked in immodest clothes honestly... That's about it from me!

God Bless and Mary Protect...
Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

FutureNunJMJ +

it doesnt help, when parents and grand parents are walking around saying "They have freedom of choice" they can do what ever they want. I hear this stuff all the times, kids are not even disciplined nowa days. It really ticks me the helll off...........

i feel like printing a bunch of these out and putting them on the shrine bulletin board over here. The women here have no modesty what so ever.

[quote name='MC Just' date='Jul 8 2004, 01:12 PM'] it doesnt help, when parents and grand parents are walking around saying "They have freedom of choice" they can do what ever they want. I hear this stuff all the times, kids are not even disciplined nowa days. It really ticks me the helll off........... [/quote]
I understand completely what you say. One of the only times I can understand :P. I am 19 and still see this. I was brought up with parents who discplined me and my brothers and sister. I am soooo thankful for that. Whenever we'd bring up the famous phrase, "everyone else is doing it!" they would reply the famous answer, "if they jumped off a bridge would you go with?" All I have to say about the majority of today's youth is that it is going to catch up with them. They are not necessarily to blame. "Kids will be kids" is not going to help when they can't hold a job or they have no manners or obedience etc. Ya know?

Edited by picchick

• 3 weeks later...
franciscanheart

amazing post!

my first youth minister, angela, also a vocal for REMNANT, taught me to stand up and say something about those magazines too! thank you for this!

I flip them around so the cover doesn't show. Same thing in the video store. I don't want the little kiddies I have with me to see them. Same thing with my brother, even the one in his 20s. I'll warn him if their is a scantily clad woman coming, dirty mag covers, or male arousing scenes, even in commercials. Commercials have gotten pretty sketchy latelyl :(

Fashion smells of elderberries! The problem with todays fashions is that they don't provide a middle ground. So girls are stuck either looking like prostitutes or looking frumpy. Our society doesn't teach girls and young women how to look pretty and decent.

[quote name='Dusty Fro' date='Jul 31 2004, 01:02 AM'] Fashion smells of elderberries! The problem with todays fashions is that they don't provide a middle ground. So girls are stuck either looking like prostitutes or looking frumpy. Our society doesn't teach girls and young women how to look pretty and decent. [/quote]
I agree with you. It is true. There is no middle ground. This makes it extremely hard to find clothes. I like to look nice. I don't want to look sleezy but I don't want to look like a boy or tomboy. I come believe that the fashions today are made smaller. A large is not a large but a medium or even a small. So for example, I was trying to buy a shirt in the jr. section because it looked nice. It was a t-shirt without writing. I got a large and x-large because mediums don't fit from the jr. section. They were totally inappropriate. They were both way too tight. Jeans/pants are the same way. You have to have a certain body makeup to fit into them.

People wonder why girls starve themselves and want to look thin at even an early age. You can blame that on society's view of fashion and beauty. What if there were a girl who was not fat but was fit and big boned? How do you think it would make her feel when she tried on that shirt or those jeans? I know it didn't make me feel very good.

My rant will stop here for now.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Dusty Fro' post='287905' date='Jul 31 2004, 01:02 AM']Fashion smells of elderberries! The problem with todays fashions is that they don't provide a middle ground. So girls are stuck either looking like prostitutes or looking frumpy. Our society doesn't teach girls and young women how to look pretty and decent.[/quote]

try the Vera Wang collection at Kohl's.