An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did Pope Benedict resign from the Papacy?

Ark

KnightofChrist

No you're good. This is the debate phorum. I should remember that. Do you think the false prophet that will tell the world to worship the antichrist will possibly be a antipope? I've heard Catholics say this and also a Protestant Pastor who isn't really anti-catholic. Although he could be anti-catholic. I'm undecided.

​The Antichrist will have a False Prophet that's the main point. Who those men will be we don't know yet. The Antichrist will mock Christ by pretending to be Him or pretending to be God like Him. It wouldn't be surprising if the False Prophet mocks the Pontiff by pretending to be him or a chief of the false church that will worship the Antichrist.

truthfinder

This debate is about just about the same as semi-privationist sede vacantism but with "two" popes rather than none. 

This debate is about just about the same as semi-privationist sede vacantism but with "two" popes rather than none. 

​Well no, it's not that, since Benedict does fully possess the office. It's really something entirely different and novel.

Actually there is precedent amongst royalty - the king of Spain recently abdicated in favor of his son, and he retains his title. (As does his wife, the queen) 

so Spain has 2 kings and queens but there is no confusion about who is really in charge...

that is, the Cortes Generales.

Nihil Obstat

​What could we call it? :P Sedehyperplenism?

Actually there is precedent amongst royalty - the king of Spain recently abdicated in favor of his son, and he retains his title. (As does his wife, the queen) 

so Spain has 2 kings and queens but there is no confusion about who is really in charge...

that is, the Cortes Generales.

Except Benedict never used the term "abdicate" in any of his statements.

“Knowing well the gravity of this act, with full liberty, I declare that I renounce
the ministry of the Bishop of Rome, Successor of St. Peter.”

Carefully chosen words that according to Professor Violi, who is professor of Canon law at University of Balogna and not some radtrad blogger, does not constitute abdication.