An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Is Weak

Kia ora

And we cannot be honest unless we recognize that we have to live in the world etsi deus non daretur ["as if there were no God"]. And this is just what we do recognize--before God! God himself compels us to recognize it. So our coming of age leads us to a true recognition of our situation before God. God would have us know that we must live as men who manage our lives without him. The God who is with us is the God who forsakes us (Mark 15:34). The God who lets us live in the world without the working hypothesis of God is the God before whom we stand continually. Before God and with God we live without God. God lets himself be pushed out of the world on to the cross. He is weak and powerless in the world, and that is precisely the way, the only way, in which he is with us and helps us. Matt. 8:17 makes it quite clear that Christ helps us, not by virtue of his omnipotence, but by virtue of his weakness and suffering.  

So says Dietrich Bonhoeffer in one of his prison letters.

He goes on to say:

Here lies the crucial difference between Christianity and all other religions. the religiosity of man points him in his hour of need to God's power in the world; for him, God is the deus ex machina. But the Bible points men to the powerlessness and the suffering of God: only the suffering God can help.

I think this is so true. God is weak, powerless in the sense that we want him to be strong and powerful. He is not the ultramasculine God who will send down fire, who will succour the hungry by creating bread, who acts as a master of the world. God is not a master. God is a slave.

He came as a slave and he died as a slave. If we make the mistake now of praying to God for help in this way (as if he had the power to change things), then we're making the same mistake as the Jews who were expecting a King with military, political, economic, social power.

Edited by Kia ora

The greatest power lies in being able to show the greatest weakness.

By the way, Bonhoeffer was an anti-Catholic, comparing loyalty to the Pope with loyalty to Hitler.

Dear OP

Don’t mistake my silence for ignorance; don’t mistake my calmness for acceptance. And most of all, don’t mistake my kindness for weakness.

God

What is wrong with being weak? Is there something wrong with God being weak? This is not my Jesus:

muscular-jesus-breaking-cross.jpg

My Jesus died in pain, in agony, suffering, filled with anguish and who cried out why God had abandonned him. Jesus' humanity was not put on. He wasn't faking it.

Jesus was weak.

Oremus Pro Invicem

What is wrong with being weak? Is there something wrong with God being weak? This is not my Jesus:

muscular-jesus-breaking-cross.jpg

My Jesus died in pain, in agony, suffering, filled with anguish and who cried out why God had abandonned him. Jesus' humanity was not put on. He wasn't faking it.

Jesus was weak.

That picture does not show our Jesus either. No one here is saying Christ was faking it. One can be powerful while allowing themselves to be vulnerable. I'm reminded of this fact every time I look at the Holy Eucharist.

So enduring suffering = weakness? In what world? I think that shows strength in my feeble philosophically untrained mind. Brute strength? No, but that is a narrow definition of "strength." God created and loved us despite knowing the pain it would cause Him, perhaps forgoing the whole thing would have been weakness, but choosing to endure torture both in the event of the crucifixion and the perpetual pain of being rejected my many people . . . the word "weak" does not approach my mind.

In some way I can agree with the dialectic where God shows His strength in His weakness, in fact I might have said something similar sometime. However I also think that it's often used as a way to look past or ignore or soften the one pole of the dialectic. In other words, yes I might agree that God showed His strength in His weakness, but only if that is not meant to negate the fact that God IS weak. Only if it does not reduce the fact that God become human, and shared the human condition in his humanity.

Weakness is a kind of strength in the realm of heavenly things, not on earthly things. By all earthly standards, there was nothing strong about Jesus. Jesus did not, like the Stoic sages of old, patiently hold up under torture. He broke.

Jesus was a loser. He was not successful, his life consisted of him making and being hounded by his enemies. Alexander the Great was a 'winner' in ll the earthly terms.

I detest this kind of negative implication that weakness and vulnerability and openess to getting hurt and being trodden over and shoved around is a bad thing.

It is not a bad thing. I am perfectly okay with calling myself weak, and that's because I think there is nothing wrong with being weak. I think people should realise that too with God. Thinking that weakness is a bad thing, that one should not feel pain or cry or hurt, is a human and not a divine judgement. God himself says that the meek are the blessed.

That picture does not show our Jesus either. No one here is saying Christ was faking it. One can be powerful while allowing themselves to be vulnerable. I'm reminded of this fact every time I look at the Holy Eucharist.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding your terms. Wherein lies God's power on the Cross?

I think His power is precisely in His vulnerability. But this power is not power, but merely the power to be hurt. And this is the greatest power of all, the only power worth being called a power. And this is a power that no strong person possesses.

Oremus Pro Invicem

Maybe I am just misunderstanding your terms. Wherein lies God's power on the Cross?

I think His power is precisely in His vulnerability. But this power is not power, but merely the power to be hurt. And this is the greatest power of all, the only power worth being called a power. And this is a power that no strong person possesses.

I think I'm misunderstanding your terms.

I have a serious problem calling God weak. By his very nature God is not weak. He accepted a weakness, in a sense he chose to become weak--- while remaining powerful. Accepting weakness is powerful. This is a paradox. 

When I am weak, I am strong, as St. Paul puts it. But I am not necessarily a weak person. Whatever the case may be, in accepting momentary weakness, I am actually strong.  This is possible because of the virtue of humility. Weakness as a state of being is not a virtue-- but humility is. And humility, like every virtue, is quite powerful indeed.

I think the problem is perception-- one can look weak, out of humility, while being strong. Humility is strength of character. God is humility itself.

In some way I can agree with the dialectic where God shows His strength in His weakness, in fact I might have said something similar sometime. However I also think that it's often used as a way to look past or ignore or soften the one pole of the dialectic. In other words, yes I might agree that God showed His strength in His weakness, but only if that is not meant to negate the fact that God IS weak. Only if it does not reduce the fact that God become human, and shared the human condition in his humanity.

Weakness is a kind of strength in the realm of heavenly things, not on earthly things. By all earthly standards, there was nothing strong about Jesus. Jesus did not, like the Stoic sages of old, patiently hold up under torture. He broke.

Jesus was a loser. He was not successful, his life consisted of him making and being hounded by his enemies. Alexander the Great was a 'winner' in ll the earthly terms.

I detest this kind of negative implication that weakness and vulnerability and openness to getting hurt and being trodden over and shoved around is a bad thing.

It is not a bad thing. I am perfectly okay with calling myself weak, and that's because I think there is nothing wrong with being weak. I think people should realise that too with God. Thinking that weakness is a bad thing, that one should not feel pain or cry or hurt, is a human and not a divine judgement. God himself says that the meek are the blessed.

I bolded the points I want better clarification about.

"He Broke." What makes you say that. That terms means that he begged for mercy and that the torture would stop. The only mercy he begged for was for us that our sins may be forgiven. the only time he ever asked for the torture to stop was in the garden and that was before it started. Once it began he was silent like a lamb lead to slaughter.

"Jesus was a loser. He was not successful, his life consisted of him making and being hounded by his enemies."

was he now? He had a close following, people flocked to him. Yes is enemies tried to trip him up but "haters going to hate" (proverbs 9:8). He was not continually on the run like a convict on the run. He was really only really hunted to be killed after the resurrection Lazarus. So he was pretty rad for his day.

lastly IMOHO weakness for me makes me think of sinfulness and not living to the standards that I can achieve with God's help. I would not call "vulnerability and openness to getting hurt." weakness that is merely being human. and being human is not the same as being weak.

As to "being trodden over and shoved around" that is not the same as being vulnerable and is something that should be something to take pride in. that is abuse and one should stand up against that type of treatment.

I bolded the points I want better clarification about.

"He Broke." What makes you say that. That terms means that he begged for mercy and that the torture would stop. The only mercy he begged for was for us that our sins may be forgiven. the only time he ever asked for the torture to stop was in the garden and that was before it started. Once it began he was silent like a lamb lead to slaughter.

I'm talking about a greater breaking, the greatest breaking of man in all of history. Begging for mercy is normal. No one would begrudge Jesus for doing that.

Jesus broke when He cried: "My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?"

"Jesus was a loser. He was not successful, his life consisted of him making and being hounded by his enemies."

was he now? He had a close following, people flocked to him. Yes is enemies tried to trip him up but "haters going to hate" (proverbs 9:8). He was not continually on the run like a convict on the run. He was really only really hunted to be killed after the resurrection Lazarus. So he was pretty rad for his day.

People flocked to Him, but who flocked to Him? Not the priests, not the theologians, not the rich, not the powerful, not the 'important' people in other words. Demoniacs, the poor, the sinners, they all flocked to Jesus. By earthly standards, in which the rich, the powerful, the wise and the pure are the most important people, Jesus was not successful in those terms, that's what I mean.

From birth to death. From Herod's persecution of the innocents, to the Romans and Jesus' fellow Jews. Jesus' life is a life of persecution.

lastly IMOHO weakness for me makes me think of sinfulness and not living to the standards that I can achieve with God's help. I would not call "vulnerability and openness to getting hurt." weakness that is merely being human. and being human is not the same as being weak.

I disagree. I think being human is precisely the same as being vulnerable and openness to getting hurt. That is, mortality is weakness. Jesus was human, and to be human, He had to be able to be hurt and get hungry and cry and suffer and even be tempted. I believe our embodied status as human beings is weakness, and that's what makes the Incarnation meaningful, because He debased Himself by becoming one of us.

As to "being trodden over and shoved around" that is not the same as being vulnerable and is something that should be something to take pride in. that is abuse and one should stand up against that type of treatment.

Pride is a sin.

I didn't say being trodden over and shoved around is a good thing. I said that I detest the implication that weakness and vulnerability and openness to getting hurt and being trodden over and shoved around is a bad thing.

Being open to being trodden over and shoved around is an acceptance of our mortality. Openness does not mean running towards personal suffering, but it doesn't mean running away from it other. Those who refuse to suffer are simply denying their humanness, and those who refuse to suffer are refusing the imitation of our Lord, who freely accepted the suffering allotted to Him. I believe it is a duty to accept the fact that we may be hurt, or WILL be hurt throughout life, by God even (like Job).

There's no shame to being trodden over and shoved around either. There's no shame in being the victim. There's no contradiction between believing there's no shame in being a victim, and still seeking justice in this world, so that there are no victims. One must never justify victimhood, but one must never look down on victims either.