An Old School Catholic Message Board

18 Year Old Girl Announces Engagement To Father

PhuturePriest

I believe his point is that relationships  which involve incest are not evidence of relativism at work, since an account of incest happened in the Bible between Lot and his daughters.  If this is not the point behind his remark then could you clarify his point?

Thank you. 

No, my point is that a bizarre news story about a girl wanting to marry her father is not evidence of much of anything about society, seeing as we live in a world of 7 billion, and religious people engage in all kinds of bizarre sexual behavior, including pedophile priests. I don't care whether Lot was guilty or not, simply that incest has been going on since the world began, you don't need relativism to invent it. (And also, my point is that "relativism" is a meaningless word that doesn't explain anything, either about this story or about society, it just serves as an emotional bogeyman).

Edited by Era Might

PhuturePriest

I think the story is a hoax.

The article cites at least three other instances of this happening recently. It's highly unlikely that each one is fake, even if this one is.

The other day I came across a letter to the editor I wrote when I was in high school, defending some statements of Rick Santorum regarding homosexual marriage. I said, basically, if you allow homosexual marriage between two consenting adults, it naturally follows that you have to allow all other types of relationships, like incest, if it's between two "consenting" individuals. My wording was not very PC and I thought, good Lord! If I had written that in today's newspaper, I'd be getting all sorts of hate mail. I'd fear for my family. What a world we live in now.

ChristianGirlForever

And this is where relativism gets us to. Good job, society.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2015/01/what-we-have-come-to-teenager-announces-plans-to-marry-her-father/

I don't know what to say. My priest told me that they were trying to legalize incest in Germany, and I was shocked. This is absolutely sickening. I'm sorry, but at 18 she is still a child. I remember how young I felt at 18. I know she is of legal age, but morally she is a victim. This is abuse.

ChristianGirlForever

And that this is a smoking gun against "relativism"? Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him in the Bible. At least this girl's getting married.

If I knew you, I would find this offensive. Perhaps you're just trying to let off steam.

I don't know what to say. My priest told me that they were trying to legalize incest in Germany, and I was shocked. This is absolutely sickening. I'm sorry, but at 18 she is still a child. I remember how young I felt at 18. I know she is of legal age, but morally she is a victim. This is abuse.

Something being legal does not imply that it is moral. I'm pretty sure that this is recognized even in the Christian tradition with examples like St. Augustine arguing that prostitution should be tolerated on the grounds that it prevents the world from becoming consumed with lust.

When something is illegal than that means that state agencies have an obligation to use their power to diminish it. Would this girl be better off if she were also being fined or arrested by the state for entering into a sexual relationship with her father and having the record of this relationship follow her around whenever she tried to apply for future jobs or education? 

I think the answer is pretty clearly no. Sometimes the world is a sad place and the only thing you can do is just leave adults alone in the recognition that the have a privileged access to the context and rationalization for their life choices that you do not have and hope that they will figure things out for themselves. 

Oremus Pro Invicem

No, my point is that a bizarre news story about a girl wanting to marry her father is not evidence of much of anything about society, seeing as we live in a world of 7 billion, and religious people engage in all kinds of bizarre sexual behavior, including pedophile priests. I don't care whether Lot was guilty or not, simply that incest has been going on since the world began, you don't need relativism to invent it. (And also, my point is that "relativism" is a meaningless word that doesn't explain anything, either about this story or about society, it just serves as an emotional bogeyman).

Thank you for the clarification. I believe FuturePriest's position is not one of shock that things like incest are taking place, but rather that these things are now becoming accepted in society.

Take for examples pedophilia which you mentioned above. If there was a news article talking about governments working to decriminalize pedophilia, what would you say?

Thank you for the clarification. I believe FuturePriest's position is not one of shock that things like incest are taking place, but rather that these things are now becoming accepted in society.

Take for examples pedophilia which you mentioned above. If there was a news article talking about governments working to decriminalize pedophilia, what would you say?

Again, who is saying this is acceptable? Nobody here has said that. The comment section of every report of this story I have found (including the extremely pro-progressive sexuality Jezebel magazine) has been full of revulsion and disdain for the father.

Again, 'x' should not be criminalized does not equal 'x' is good. 

A society where every morally bad option would be completely unworkable. 

Edited by Hasan

Oremus Pro Invicem

Again, who is saying this is acceptable? Nobody here has said that. The comment section of every report of this story I have found (including the extremely pro-progressive sexuality Jezebel magazine) has been full of revulsion and disdain for the father.

No one is saying that anyone here or in the comment sections of the article have claimed it is acceptable behavior. The evidence that incest is starting to become accepted in society is shown in the article itself in the links provided at the end of the article. These links show that there is a trend where laws are changing to accept incest.

Again, 'x' should not be criminalized does not equal 'x' is good.

While I agree, since there are things which are legal and which I do not believe are morally good, the fact remains that laws are suppose to be in place to uphold and protect that which is good.

When the law decriminalizes something it should be because that thing is a good thing. It should likewise keep something from being criminalized because it is a good thing. Edited by Oremus Pro Invicem

I find this terribly symbolic:

Will you have a wedding? Do you have it planned?
Yes. I want it to represent our uniqueness, so we aren’t doing a white wedding. The color scheme is black and purple, and we are both going to wear Converse tennis shoes. He’s wearing jeans and a nice dress shirt. He says he’s not wearing a bow tie, but it’s my wedding and I am saying that he is. My best friend will be my maid of honor and she’ll be dressed in purple. My grandmother and grandfather — my fiancé’s parents — are going to attend and my grandpa will give me away. The tables will have bouquets of trees without leaves to represent our marriage, which will be like a growing tree. My dress will be black.

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2015/01/what-we-have-come-to-teenager-announces-plans-to-marry-her-father/#ixzz3PFLd261Q

Black and purple: The colors of bruises = woundedness

Bowties: Commonly considered a symbol of impotence

Trees without leaves: Fruitlessness, death, winter