An Old School Catholic Message Board

18 Year Old Girl Announces Engagement To Father

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Because religious people never have sex with minors?

What a sloppy and low-grade attempt at humor.

Besides, this isn't about the fact that she's a minor. This is about the fact that she is marrying her father.

Edited by PhuturePriest

What a sloppy and low-grade attempt at humor.

Besides, this isn't about the fact that she's a minor. This is about the fact that she is marrying her father.

And that this is a smoking gun against "relativism"? Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him in the Bible. At least this girl's getting married.

PhuturePriest

And that this is a smoking gun against "relativism"? Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him in the Bible. At least this girl's getting married.

I find your attitude concerning this quite disgusting.

Look at how the disgusting values of modern society have brought about the same thing that the Bible records happening between the revered Lot and his daughters.

Yes. I find this gross. Looks like a trashy crowd all around. However moral relativism didn't bring this about. Incest has existed for a long, long time. 

The tricky thing about an open society is that sometimes you get people doing things with their freedom that you personally find gross or morally wrong. So it goes.

PhuturePriest

Look at how the disgusting values of modern society have brought about the same thing that the Bible records happening between the revered Lot and his daughters.

Yes. I find this gross. Looks like a trashy crowd all around. However moral relativism didn't bring this about. Incest has existed for a long, long time. 

The tricky thing about an open society is that sometimes you get people doing things with their freedom that you personally find gross or morally wrong. So it goes.

It's not a matter of it being new. It's a matter of this being highly frowned upon and openly judged as wrong, whereas now there are growing amounts of people who say "Well, it's not my life; who am I to tell them what to do?"

Are you under the impression that this sort of activity is new?

"Us". Are you the father or the daughter in this? If you're not, then there is no "us".

This is not a result of "relativism". It's not the result of any sort of philosophy. It's the result of someone desiring something. Any philosophy involved is post hoc and designed to justify the desire.

There is nothing new under the sun. Seem to recall that in some old book.

It's not a matter of it being new. It's a matter of this being highly frowned upon and openly judged as wrong, whereas now there are growing amounts of people who say "Well, it's not my life; who am I to tell them what to do?"

Where in the world do you get the idea that this isn't being judged all around as gross and wrong? 

Here's super-progressive Jezebel's coverage of the story:

http://jezebel.com/this-interview-with-a-woman-dating-her-father-will-haun-1679768194

I don't have any interest in sitting around and brooding over how trashy I find them both. I don't have any interest in using the law to mess with their trashy choices. That doesn't mean I'd want anuything to do with either of them, particularly him.

IgnatiusofLoyola

BTW--I echo earlier comments that I haven't read ANY press articles, whatever the source (liberal, conservative, Christian, non-Christian, etc. etc.), that feel this marriage is acceptable on ANY level, much less "live and let live,"

I was also shocked to learn that marriage between a parent and his/her blood child was legal in the state of New Jersey. How did that fall through the cracks?

Something tells me that marriage between a parent and a blood child will not be legal in New Jersey for much longer.

PhuturePriest

Something tells me that marriage between a parent and a blood child will not be legal in New Jersey for much longer.

Something tells me you're fooling yourself. But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Ash Wednesday

At first read, the title "18 year old girl announces engagement to father" made it sound like she was telling her father she was engaged. So I thought, "...and?"

But then I read the article.

Nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. 

Oremus Pro Invicem

I would remind you that Lot's daughters got him drunk to the point where he did not know what was going on; "And they made their father drink wine that night: and the elder went in and lay with her father: but he perceived not neither when his daughter lay down, nor when she rose up"

The Bible does not show that Lot condoned their actions or brought them on of his own free will.  If you're going to hold Lot accountable for what his daughters did to him then you will also hold accountable anyone who is taken advantage of when their drunk. 

I would remind you that Lot's daughters got him drunk to the point where he did not know what was going on; "And they made their father drink wine that night: and the elder went in and lay with her father: but he perceived not neither when his daughter lay down, nor when she rose up"

The Bible does not show that Lot condoned their actions or brought them on of his own free will.  If you're going to hold Lot accountable for what his daughters did to him then you will also hold accountable anyone who is taken advantage of when their drunk. 

You completely missed his point. 

Oremus Pro Invicem

You completely missed his point. 

I believe his point is that relationships  which involve incest are not evidence of relativism at work, since an account of incest happened in the Bible between Lot and his daughters.  If this is not the point behind his remark then could you clarify his point?

Thank you.