An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hollywood Free Speech

little2add

Is This thing between Sony Pictures and North Korea that's been going on really a free speech issue?
The movie in question is very nasty...
I'm glad it was not released
What do you think?

PhuturePriest

I think it's a cheap comedy done by cheap comedians, and as a result it should not be treated as if it were some grave evil. It's a comedy made with the intention of making others laugh. I say release the movie. North Korea can suck it.

Not A Mallard

I don't think the movie was a good idea in the first place.  I don't agree with the hackers for actually threatening to kill people, but by making a movie about a jokey portrayal of a real person getting killed, Sony was asking for trouble.

It reminds me of Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, which makes fun of Hitler.  Though this is a different case because it deals with a parody of Hitler named Hynkle, and everything that deals with the Nazis if fictionalized in a satirical manner.

I'll have to spoil the ending here, but at the climax, a Jewish barber who looks exactly like Hynkle gets mistaken for the real deal and delivers a riveting speech that ends the war.

The Great Dictator, while it tasteless at times, ultimately has a good message, while The Interview sounds flat-out cold and nonredeemable.  I wonder what people would have done about The Great Dictator if they had internet back then.

Though of course, this just shows anybody who's opposed to a particular movie that they can withhold its release through death threats, but I wouldn't want to take the risk of people getting killed either.

Not necessarily

Companies censor themselves all the time. The president even said he disagreed with their decision. There's no free speech issue here, just a PR issue.

If they HAD released the film, and if there had been bombings or other kinds of attacks at theaters, there would have been a huge public outcry against Sony for not taking the threats seriously. 

Better safe than sorry, especially when it's just an inane comedy. 

And people who want to see the movie will still have their opportunities, as various times in the future, on various other platforms. 

This movie is nothing more than Hatemongering. No good can and will come from it.

Edited by little2add

I fail to see the humer
This is serious stuff

(CNN) - North Korea is accusing the U.S. government of being behind the making of the movie "The Interview."

And, in a dispatch on state media, the totalitarian regime warned the United States that its "citadels" will be attacked, dwarfing the hacking attack on Sony that led to the cancellation of the film's release.

Obama: North Korea's hack not war, but 'cybervandalism'

While steadfastly denying involvement in the hack, North Korea accused U.S. President Barack Obama of calling for "symmetric counteraction."

RushwithaKinfront

Seth Rogan is hilarious. Nothing wrong with making people laugh.I don't see it as "hatemongering".

Josh! This is Krush. I am trying to reach you via email. The old email I have for you is not working.

Whats your new email bro?

No, it's not an issue of government censorship (at least not by the U.S. government), but it is all about a company in the free world buckling to the demands of a pathetic, fat little spoiled-brat two-bit commie dictator residing over a murderous, oppressive regime in a pathetic little two-bit commie poop-hole.

Since when did Americans let what movies they can and can't watch be dictated to them by third-rate Communist despots?

And since when can't we publicly enjoy some laughs at the expense of absurd, though evil, despots?  It's a proud American tradition.

Of course, Sony Pictures is free to choose what movies it does and doesn't release, but this kind of spineless knuckling under to the "Supreme Leader" Kim Jong Un's ridiculous demands sets a bad precedent, as I see it.

It gives that ridiculous little pot-bellied dictator and the horrible regime he inherited far more legitimacy than they deserve.

Since when did Americans let what movies they can and can't watch be dictated to them by third-rate Communist despots?

And since when can't we publicly enjoy some laughs at the expense of absurd, though evil, despots?  It's a proud American tradition.

American has a fine tradition of censorship. Even suspicion of being a communist in the '50s was enough to get you blacklisted in Hollywood. Censorship was usually the other way around, against anyone who dared laugh at the status quo.

Money dictates what movies we can and can't watch. Sony is not in the patriotism business.

This movie is nothing more than Hatemongering. No good can and will come from it.

Oh please.  I suppose back in the 1940s, Hollywood and the American media shouldn't have been so hateful towards poor Adolf HItler, and made fun of him so. No doubt portraying him more respectfully would have kept him from murdering so many people.

From the trailer I saw, the movie looks silly, rather than hateful.  The Communist North Korean government under the Kim is among the world's most brutally oppressive regimes, and  has murdered, imprisoned and tortured millions of its own people, and Christians continue to be brutally persecuted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_North_Korea

But, never mind, let's instead cry over a silly movie because it makes their "Supreme Leader" look silly.

Good gosh!  What are we coming to?

American has a fine tradition of censorship. Even suspicion of being a communist in the '50s was enough to get you blacklisted in Hollywood. Censorship was usually the other way around, against anyone who dared laugh at the status quo.

But I'm presuming you're not a fan of blacklisting . . .