An Old School Catholic Message Board

Radical Traditionalism

CountrySteve21

CountrySteve21

Just thought I'd share this interesting video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZiBQ6Z8dhk

The end is quite fascinating

Pax 

veritasluxmea

I remember when that talk came out, caused a lot of drama.

Off topic, but it's hard to define traditionalist with a lower case "t". I mean, I wear a mantilla to mass, but I go to NO, but I've been to a latin mass in the past and probably will in the future, I receive on the knees and tongue and I think others should at least receive on the tongue, I think clapping at mass is out of bounds but I actually like some of the praise and worship music like "Be not Afraid" at mass, I like to read and sometimes practice the more aged forms of Catholic piety and writings, but I love the Vat II documents and especially the spirituality of JPII, am I a traditionalist? I wouldn't call myself that, but I wonder if I sort of am. Sometimes this questions keeps me up at night. idk, I just call myself Catholic. 

I'm thinking about warning you for putting a ninety minute video up without a summarizing paragraph.  

What about a whole red booklet?

CountrySteve21

I'm thinking about warning you for putting a ninety minute video up without a summarizing paragraph.  

Mea Culpa! 

I'll remember that next time.

CountrySteve21

I remember when that talk came out, caused a lot of drama.

Off topic, but it's hard to define traditionalist with a lower case "t". I mean, I wear a mantilla to mass, but I go to NO, but I've been to a latin mass in the past and probably will in the future, I receive on the knees and tongue and I think others should at least receive on the tongue, I think clapping at mass is out of bounds but I actually like some of the praise and worship music like "Be not Afraid" at mass, I like to read and sometimes practice the more aged forms of Catholic piety and writings, but I love the Vat II documents and especially the spirituality of JPII, am I a traditionalist? I wouldn't call myself that, but I wonder if I sort of am. Sometimes this questions keeps me up at night. idk, I just call myself Catholic. 

Exactly!! I hate how people pit the OF and EF Mass and pre and post Vatican era against eachother. It's still the same one holy Catholic and Apostolic faith. The video was about radical Traditionalist like the sede's and SSPX. It was interesting cause the video talks about in the end the SSPX and Sede's fall into heresy just like the modernist cause there positions contradict the First Vatican Council. According to Session Four of the First Vatican Council " 5. Therefore, if anyone says that it is not by the institution of Christ the lord himself (that is to say, by divine law) that blessed Peter should have perpetual successors in the primacy over the whole Church; or that the Roman Pontiff is not the successor of blessed Peter in this primacy: let him be anathema." http://www.ewtn.com/library/councils/v1.htm#6

And to the SSPX 

Session Four Chapter 3

9. So, then, if anyone says that the Roman Pontiff has merely an office of supervision and guidance, and not the full and supreme power of jurisdiction over the whole Church, and this not only in matters of faith and morals, but also in those which concern the discipline and government of the Church dispersed throughout the whole world; or that he has only the principal part, but not the absolute fullness, of this supreme power; or that this power of his is not ordinary and immediate both over all and each of the Churches and over all and each of the pastors and faithful: let him be anathema.

Pax

Credo in Deum

IMO, Papa Benedict XVI defined what it means to be a traditional Catholic when he said: "What earlier generations held as sacred remains sacred and great for us too." Being a traditionalist doesn't mean loving one Mass over the other, it means loving all things which Holy Mother Church deems sacred and great! It means you do not impede the progress/restoration and preservation of these sacred things which Holy Mother Church desires to be available to all of her children, and which She Herself wants to have a pride of place within the Liturgy.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Pax domini. Jesus said don't go left or right.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

t was interesting cause the video talks about in the end the SSPX and Sede's fall into heresy just like the modernist cause there positions contradict the First Vatican Council. According to Session Four of the First Vatican Council " 5. Therefore, if anyone says that it is not by the institution of Christ the lord himself (that is to say, by divine law) that blessed Peter should have perpetual successors in the primacy over the whole Church; or that the Roman Pontiff is not the successor of blessed Peter in this primacy: let him be anathema." 

So... sedes are fine, then? Long interregnum =/= "there will be no popes ever again." Just because the throne is empty for awhile doesn't mean that it suddenly ceases to exist.

I cannot believe I am about to defend Sedevacantism, but I find that the arguments used against radical traditionalism in the broadcast is rather paltry. I haven't listened to the whole broadcast, but it seems that their argument is that the Pope has x-authority and, therefore, Sedevacantism is null and void. Sedevacantism is about what actions have to occur before a Pope becomes a non-Pope. So, for example, if the Pope were to say that Christ, Buddha and Mohammad offer equal salvation, I would say that the Holy See has fallen into heresy.

I am not a Sedevacantist because I believe the ressourcement of Vatican II was valid, but I feel that people make poor arguments against Sedevacantism all the time.

Pax domini. Jesus said don't go left or right.

Amen, brother. This is always what I think of when I see extremists in either direction. But most people seem to behave as if extremism can only go in one direction—whichever one is further from them.

(EDIT: And that "most people" was not meant as a passive-aggressive jab at anyone on this phorum! :-)

Edited by curiousing

PhuturePriest

A very good video. Catholic Answers Live is always great, and I'm a big fan of both Tim Staples and Patrick Coffin, both of whom I've met many times.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Amen, brother. This is always what I think of when I see extremists in either direction. But most people seem to behave as if extremism can only go in one direction—whichever one is further from them.

(EDIT: And that "most people" was not meant as a passive-aggressive jab at anyone on this phorum! :-)

If you go left or right your not going straight are you, you have gone off course. :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

focus on the heart,stomach and mind,these are the centre,yes? Focus on mercy,charity and justice. This is the straight path perhaps.