An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Last Prayer Of Your Life

dairygirl4u2c

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Credo in Deum

is it troubling to you if someone chose 'hail mary' or something else instead of something more specific to Jesus?

No. All prayers are received by Christ and heard by the Most Holy Trinity.  

When I thought I was dying, I prayed the Hail Mary. I could only remember the first half and kept saying it over and over.

Spem in alium

I've been in a few life-threatening or risky situations, and in those times the Hail Mary has come into my mind more quickly than any other prayer.  

In the arms of the Theotokos you will find cradled the head of Christ.  So run into the arms of the Theotokos.

brandelynmarie

Definitely the Hail Mary. :)

But once when I was being attacked by a dog, I literally cried out, "St. Michael! Help!" I was in pain & so scared that I couldn't say anything else...& that dog literally stopped attacking me, turned around & walked away. Blessed be God in His angels & in His saints :blush:

Catherine Therese

Hmmm. I think my first instinct would be the Glory Be. Sort of that last offering of everything, good and bad, beyond my power to change anymore.... I'd offer it as all I had to give towards His greater glory.

And if I had breath and any further moments I'd definitely back it up with a Hail Mary, and an invocation to St Joseph, patron of a happy death.

Nihil Obstat

Ave or Pater both seem appropriate. Ave perhaps more so since it specifically invokes Our Lady at the time of death.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a poor sinner.

I'm inclined to think the same for me. It's happened a lot of times in 'emergency' situations and it just pops out, it's not something I choose to say. One of the kids I work with almost ran out under a car the other day and I screamed Lord have mercy! in the split second before I grabbed him back.

Then again the other 50% of the time it's F-bombs.