An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Boxing And Mma (and American Football) Immoral?

The Hierophant

The Hierophant

I briefly dabbled in Western and Thai boxing.  I enjoyed Western boxing more than almost everything I have done in my life, but it seems to me that it is immoral.  It incites love of violence and incurs grave harm.  There is a reason professional boxers tend toward egotism and cruelty.  I suspect the same is true of MMA and, yes, even much cherished American football.  While football may not intend harm qua football, it seems to me that to be successful in it, players have to be aggressive enough to want to hurt, and I can think of little that could show more callous regard for life than diving head first into a quickly moving body and risking CBTI to stop a goal.

I am reminded of the words of Tertullian:  "Your public games, too, we renounce, as heartily as we do their origins; we know these or gins lie in superstition. We have nothing to do in speech, sight, or hearing, which the madness of the circus, the shamelessness of the theater, the savagery of the arena, the vanity of the gymnasium. Why should we offend you, if we assume the existence of other pleasures? If we do not wish to know the delight, it is our loss, in any case, not yours. But we reject what pleases you; what pleases us gives you no delight."

Discuss.

Credo in Deum

I do not see boxing, MMA, American Football, or any other high contact sport as being immoral in itself.  Most of these sports are in controlled environments and have certain safety standards set in place to help regulate the activity that goes on. Also if the event promotes an environment which fosters an appreciation for the athletic aspect of the sport then I think this is also a good thing.  With that said, there are some places which I believe do not foster this type of environment.  They make a show of it by having the competitors get into grudge matches before the event and trash talk each other.   While I do understand that most of the time this is "part of the show", I still feel it is immoral since the message they send to viewers (especially the younger ones) is that we should beat each other to a pulp to settle grudge matches.  This message is against the spirit of charity and is, IMO, stupid.

I think someone who participates in these sports should also look at their own motives for doing them.  Are you doing it because you like the athletic competition or are you doing them so you can legally hurt people and take your anger out on others?  A persons motives can render a certain sport immoral for that person.   Same if you are a spectator. 

I also wouldn't compare the events and gymnasiums in Tertullian’s time with the professional sporting events we have nowadays.  

My Dad taught me to box when I was 6. I've always lived the sport. Maybe it's an Irish thing, but MMA seems a bit like human cockfighting to me.

blazeingstar

10 years ago I would not have said that American football would be immoral.  However, knowing now what we do about the affects of TBI (traumatic Brain Injury) I would say that it is incredibly immoral.

I think that something being immoral and moral doesn't simply come from if the body is injured with a high contact sport, rather, if that injury has long-term affects.  There is nothing athletic about the way football is played today, and helmets are actually adding to the problems of brain and neck injuries.

The Hierophant

10 years ago I would not have said that American football would be immoral.  However, knowing now what we do about the affects of TBI (traumatic Brain Injury) I would say that it is incredibly immoral.

I think that something being immoral and moral doesn't simply come from if the body is injured with a high contact sport, rather, if that injury has long-term affects.  There is nothing athletic about the way football is played today, and helmets are actually adding to the problems of brain and neck injuries.

Yes, that's what I mean by injury in football. It's the same thing as "punch drunk" syndrome, just a different way of getting it.

Nihil Obstat

My Dad taught me to box when I was 6. I've always lived the sport. Maybe it's an Irish thing, but MMA seems a bit like human cockfighting to me.

Would you say that there is a substantial difference with regards to the moral objects in boxing versus mixed martial arts? Or for further comparison, kickboxing, Muay Thai? Wwe style "pro wrestling"?

Would you say that there is a substantial difference with regards to the moral objects in boxing versus mixed martial arts? Or for further comparison, kickboxing, Muay Thai? Wwe style "pro wrestling"?

Boxing, at least the way I was taught was about scoring more points than your opponent. In amateur boxing it still is. For pros, who go much longer, it's about wearing your opponent down so that you can make him not be able to continue. In MMA it seems to be about getting your opponent into submission. It seems like a different mindset. Some would say it is the same thing, but I think there is a subtle difference that makes a big difference.

Some of my opinion is clouded by being around boxers in college and watching their training, and being around kids now who want to make MMA a career. Their training and goals seem so different today. Shockingly so to this old lady.

Nihil Obstat

Boxing, at least the way I was taught was about scoring more points than your opponent. In amateur boxing it still is. For pros, who go much longer, it's about wearing your opponent down so that you can make him not be able to continue. In MMA it seems to be about getting your opponent into submission. It seems like a different mindset. Some would say it is the same thing, but I think there is a subtle difference that makes a big difference.

Some of my opinion is clouded by being around boxers in college and watching their training, and being around kids now who want to make MMA a career. Their training and goals seem so different today. Shockingly so to this old lady.

I know they track points in MMA, but obviously a good submission can be an instant win. For that matter, a knockout in boxing is also an instant win.

I am not sure there is a true moral distinction to be drawn between boxing and MMA, and other mainstream combatives. There may be subjective differences in the people themselves, and my intuition tells me that this may make a difference especially in amateur levels, but I also think that is less relevant at professional levels and in terms of a spectator sport.

My real instinct here is that if MMA is immoral, boxing is at least on shaky ground, and that if boxing is moral, then MMA is at least more likely to be moral as well.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

PhuturePriest

My thoughts on boxing are that it is immoral. People destroy their bodies in it, and I can't honestly say you can be a Catholic in good standing whilst being a professional boxer. In a sport where punching people in the head and causing concussions is a regular occurrence, obviously it cannot be condoned.

Our bodies are gifts from God, and we are supposed to take care of them, not destroy them for money and sport.

blazeingstar

Yes, that's what I mean by injury in football. It's the same thing as "punch drunk" syndrome, just a different way of getting it.

However, I do think it was a moral, even healthy behavior, before we knew what it did to the brain long term.  There are probably some men who would benefit from it more than another sport.  However, the good gained cannot be negated by the damage done.

Now that we are wiser, we should look at this the way a logical person would look at roman gladiators who fought tigers.  It's just not ok.

There was a thread about the same thing a few months back: 

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/134147-mma-ufc-boxing-are-combat-sports-immoral/

I will just "cut and paste" what I replied there. 

At least in Chicago, the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) was a big supporter of the Golden Gloves tournament. Until recently, the Chicago Golden Gloves bouts were held in the gym of a Catholic parish (St. Andrew), and the gym was built specifically for the purpose of having boxing and was encouraged by Bishop Sheil. 

http://blog.chicagohistory.org/index.php/2009/05/chicago-boxing/

Edited by Norseman82

blazeingstar

There was a thread about the same thing a few months back: 

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/134147-mma-ufc-boxing-are-combat-sports-immoral/

I will just "cut and paste" what I replied there. 

At least in Chicago, the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) was a big supporter of the Golden Gloves tournament. Until recently, the Chicago Golden Gloves bouts were held in the gym of a Catholic parish (St. Andrew), and the gym was built specifically for the purpose of having boxing and was encouraged by Bishop Sheil. 

http://blog.chicagohistory.org/index.php/2009/05/chicago-boxing/

Which is great, but we've learned more about the ill affects of hitting the head.  Boxing has to be done carefully done to avoid this action, and given the nature of those it attracts is often impossible.

Again, just because something helped many people succeed dosn't mean that it's right.  And given the nature of TBI, it's very likely that those who went through the program became offenders or addicts.

Catherine Therese

I have absolutely no balanced or reasoned justification for this claim, but nevertheless I present my stubborn opinion:

a) American Football on convent grounds (grin) or in any other easy-going social setting is just about the most fun I've ever had in my life :)

b) American Football as in the major competition that culminates in the Superbowl can be boiled down to the equation thuggery + stupidity = mega$$ for the ones who saw y'all coming

c) Amateur boxing is in most cases a wonderful sport (and kinda fun too)

d) Professional boxing USED to be a sport but has descended into street fighting

e) MMA is thuggery, pure and simple.

The end.

Edited by Catherine Therese

I have absolutely no balanced or reasoned justification for this claim, but nevertheless I present my stubborn opinion:

a) American Football on convent grounds (grin) or in any other easy-going social setting is just about the most fun I've ever had in my life :)
b) American Football as in the major competition that culminates in the Superbowl can be boiled down to the equation thuggery + stupidity = mega$$ for the ones who saw y'all coming
c) Amateur boxing is in most cases a wonderful sport (and kinda fun too)
d) Professional boxing USED to be a sport but has descended into street fighting
e) MMA is thuggery, pure and simple.

The end.

Perfectly said. I would add that amateur wrestling is outstanding and professional wrestling is red neck soap opera.

Nihil Obstat

I do feel that if we are going to claim that mma is violent thuggery while boxing is outstanding and noble, we are at least going to have to justify it with something more substantive than that some mma wannabes are kind of unsavory looking.