An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Apologizes For "catholics Who Obstructed Pentecostal Growth&#

CountrySteve21

Anastasia13

As the Argentine he is, Bergoglio has experienced first-hand the overwhelming expansion of the Evangelical and Pentecostal communities in Latin America, which continue to take enormous masses of faithful away from the Catholic Church. And yet he has made this decision: not to fight their leaders, but to make them his friends. ...

I don't understand exactly why.

Yeah I don't really understand what there is to apologize for either, I mean if there was some crusade to wipe them out, okay apologize for that...

maybe it is a keep your friends close , but your enemies closer thing, or evangelizing others into the Church through peace, there is probably a million different ways to interpret this, but I wouldn't think it anything to worry about. 

The quote that Light posted, I would argue that the Pentecostal Communities are NOT taking the faithful away from the Church, these people were not taking by gun point and I doubt they were offered a cash prize to change teams, they made a choice, based on what ever reasons they have, and I would also argue that one would first need to look at those parishes in those communities to see what is going on, that is causing the faithful to reconsider .

I've heard that he apologized for some Catholic leaders who were part of a push that had the Pentecostal Churches outlawed under Mussolini. :idontknow: 

The Pope is being specific: During the visit, Francis apologized for the persecution suffered by Pentecostals under Italy’s fascist regime in the 1920s and 1930s and urged Christians to celebrate their diversity and unity.

Luca Baratto, a pastor from the Italian Federation of Evangelical Churches, said the pope’s apology was unexpected and greatly appreciated.

“It is very important to remember the racial laws through which the Pentecostals were victims under fascism,” he told the Italian news agency, AdnKronos. “We really appreciate the opening of dialogue by this pope.”

So it is about a specific historical event of fascist Italy

Edited by cappie

truthfinder

The Pope is being specific: During the visit, Francis apologized for the persecution suffered by Pentecostals under Italy’s fascist regime in the 1920s and 1930s and urged Christians to celebrate their diversity and unity.

Luca Baratto, a pastor from the Italian Federation of Evangelical Churches, said the pope’s apology was unexpected and greatly appreciated.

“It is very important to remember the racial laws through which the Pentecostals were victims under fascism,” he told the Italian news agency, AdnKronos. “We really appreciate the opening of dialogue by this pope.”

So it is about a specific historical event of fascist Italy

Thank you - context - so important.

Catherine Therese

As a side-note to the question asked, but relevant to the blog from which the article was taken - I don't know if you're a regular reader of the site or not, but sometimes the tone is so inflammatory from some of the contributors that it's only a step away from lapsing into sede vacantism. 

Quite a bit of what they write is fine... but I would regard with caution any articles that speak to the role of the Pope or the scope of his purview. Worth checkin anything that seems a bit heavy-handed with one of the Church Scholars, or a priest you trust. 

CountrySteve21

Still doesn't explain: 

"To extend the apologies of the Catholic Church for the damage that has been done to them by obstructing the growth of their communities.”

We don't want Heretical communities to grow, we want them to convert. Nor should we ever apologies for doing the will of God. The Orthodox are blessed that there Bishops don't do this.

Pax

Edited by CountrySteve21

LouisvilleFan

Found this "interesting" article.  http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/08/pope-apologizes-for-catholics-who.html#more

Let us discuss it.

Pax 

Rorate Caeli seems to have a lot of "interesting" articles. On this particular topic, I think one needs personal experience in South America to understand the relationship (or lack thereof) between Catholics and Evangelicals/Pentecostals. I don't know much about it, but the impression I've gathered is Christians don't get along there like we do in the U.S. It's more like how we were 50+ years ago, or maybe even a few centuries ago. Of course, this tends to be how things happen when a relative minority threatens the established majority of a society.

Credo in Deum

Still doesn't explain:
We don't want Heretical communities to grow, we want them to convert. Nor should we ever apologies for doing the will of God. The Orthodox are blessed that there Bishops don't do this.

Pax

I think he maybe apologizing for the spirit in which this was done. Christ told the apostles to not stop the man casting out evil spirits in His name, when they heard someone other than them were doing these things. If our attitude for stopping another Christian community's growth was one based on hate rather than charity then wouldn't we need to apologize for this? Edited by Credo in Deum

Nihil Obstat

While Rorate Caeli can come across as inflammatory, I do think their subject matter is important.

CountrySteve21

I think he maybe apologizing for the spirit in which this was done. Christ told the apostles to not stop the man casting out evil spirits in His name, when they heard someone other than them were doing these things. If our attitude for stopping another Christian community's growth was one based on hate rather than charity then wouldn't we need to apologize for this?

Thats true. My apologies for my rash responses. 

Pax 

Credo in Deum

Thats true. My apologies for my rash responses.

Pax

I don't fault you for that Steve. We're so wrapped up in this "one side or the other" type of thinking that we miss the bigger picture. We ask ourselves; "should we be right wing or left wing?" And we do this so much we forget that it takes both wings to fly. There is a time to be conservative and a time to be liberal. This does not mean there is a time to do something objectively wrong, but rather that we should see and use the good in both sides and push forward.

Edit: I trust our Pope and his decisions. He loves God and his neighbor, and this is all I ask of him. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit will take care of the rest. Edited by Credo in Deum