An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trappistines Before Vatican Ii

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

tumblr_mcvpjxc6pT1rexm6do1_1280.jpg

Nuns wearing Cowl and Novices wearing mantles; postulants in black habit

They still wear the cowls and mantels (cloaks). It's only the headgear that has changed, except for the German monasteries which still wear the wimple etc.

reminiscere

Um and the tunic. Many sisters wear modified tunics. Redwoods Abbey only wears the cowl, and lay clothes besides that. 

Redwoods are an exception in that regard. As far as I'm aware all of the other monasteries have the tunic pretty much as it was, although I think that Mississippi have shortened it quite a bit. Tautra may have followed them in that, but as far as I know they're the only ones. Of course, those (i.e. most of them) who have modified the veil have also modified the collars (in various ways) but the tunic remains basically the same.

I could perhaps add in pre-Vatican II days they did tend to wear the cowl (and mantel) more, at least from what I've been told. Apparently it was worn for meals, as well as for common Lectio in the Scriptorium. Today it's basically worn in church and for chapter, or other ceremonial occasions.

graciandelamadrededios

Some monasteries modified the collar as well and there are few very old Nuns who still wear the wimple and large veils even if the community is wearing the modified habit.

As per Cistercian Regulations for OCSO printed in 1926.  The cowl and mantle were principally worn most of the time except work.  They were to keep their hands under the cowl all the time and if not wearing the cowl, under the scapular above the girdle.

After Vatican II, each community, based on Chapter discussion, decides when and where to wear the cowl.  They will also consider the climate of the region where the priory or monastery is situated.  

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

You're right about the variations due to climate. I know of different monasteries where, during a summer heatwave, the abbess (or abbot) would stipulate that the cowl would not be worn for a certain time.

Nevertheless, it is the cowl that is the basic monastic garment, and it continues to be seen and treated as such.

I'm sure in earlier times they were glad for it  :cold: at least half of the year. In many places sweating is not as bad as freezing.

True, and in earlier times they were more likely to have different summer and winter ones, with the latter being made of thick wool! 

graciandelamadrededios

The huge sleeves of the cowls of the Trappistines and Trappist in the Philippines are shorter; adjustments are needed due to Tropical Heat.

graciandelamadrededios

2%202Lessignesdistinctifsdelabbesselacro

RIGHT REV. MOTHER ABBESS, OCSO - before Vatican II

4%204Cisterciennesenprierealachapelle.jpThe Trappistine Nuns in Choir - the Nuns wearing

Trappistine Nuns before Vatican II in Choir - the Nuns wearing black habit were Lay Sisters