An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone Ever Discern An Order While Working Full Time?

oremus1

II'm now applying to this order, and I haven't yet lived a week with them. Some may say this is foolish, but I don't really think I need to have done so. I have seen the community at work and have assisted with their various ministries, I have spent time with them in prayer, at Mass and in recreation. I have read about their foundress, their life and their charism, and feel I have learnt a lot through doing so. They feel I am becoming part of them, just as I feel they are now part of me, and this has happened without a longer visit. The first stage of my formation will also be quite flexible and will give me the choice to live in community or with my family, so I see this as the time in which I can embark on an extended stay.

It sounds like you have the benefit of being close (in close geographical proximity) to the community.  That makes a big difference ... and also gives you the opportunity to possibly stay a night or two.

Besides -- there are things that even a shorter live in (say a month or less) may not reveal.  Some things just won't be learned about a community until you are with the community for the longer term.

Finally -- some people have said that they find it very difficult to discern while studying/working full-time.  I think the kicker is this -- necessity.  I'm an older person who has been in discernment.  I didn't (and don't) have the luxury of depending on anyone during the periods of discernment.  So -- when you have bills to keep up with, and an apartment/house/car to pay, plus a full time job you do what you have to do :).  (Did I mention also ministry involvement and volunteer commitments?)

What has helped me to keep my focus (either on discernment or on my spiritual growth) is having a spiritual director.  Without this -- yup, I would let life simply take over.

Spem in alium

It sounds like you have the benefit of being close (in close geographical proximity) to the community.  That makes a big difference ... and also gives you the opportunity to possibly stay a night or two.

I'm about two hours away by train, so staying a single day at the convent is usually difficult, and I'm not able to get there as often as I'd like (once every few months, maybe) because of the study, work and ministry I do. When I've stayed, it's usually overnight - which has tended to be beneficial, as it's given me the opportunity to be part of the activities I previously mentioned (assisting with ministry, participating in prayer and at Mass, spending leisure time with the Sisters, etc). It has also helped me to develop a liking for the place in which I'll be - an attraction which is necessary for me. While I can't just travel to the convent whenever I'm free, I am fortunate to be able to get there with relative ease, and perhaps that in itself is why I haven't felt the necessity for a longer visit (though I would like to be able to do so).

What you say about the spiritual director is also very important. My director definitely guides me along my journey and keeps me focused.