An Old School Catholic Message Board

Israeli-palestinian Conflict

Ice_nine

Maybe this video can add some perspective to the views already here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZY8m0cm1oY

Hamas has absolutely zero interest in peace.  Anyone who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand.

Color me shocked.

Maybe this video can add some perspective to the views already here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZY8m0cm1oY

Very one-sided. Smells like propaganda. To be fair I'm not well-versed enough to pull this video apart, but they seem to portray Zionists as doing NOTHING wrong and being TOTAL victims which even my own cursory studies know now to be true. I don't expect this to convince you, I'm just airing my grievances. And any portrayal of a conflict that so blatantly ignores the missteps and crimes committed by one side is obviously bull.

Ash Wednesday

http://youtu.be/6ZadAjueiP4

tumblr_m2ztns21QD1qasthro1_400.jpg

Dude. Please tell me that this video was posted as irony, because there are some serious flaws in it. 

I really don't recommend any video that sympathizes with Erik Almqvist and makes him out to be some kind of martyr when trying to get a point across. Let's just say he likes his booze, his racial and sexual epithets, and a little white power singsong. 

I will get upset about Israel or Gaza as soon as the mainstream gets upset about Mosul.

This is why I hate getting into political debates on this subject, expressed in one line.

"I will get upset about Mosul as soon as the mainstream gets upset about the Rohingya."

"I will get upset about the Rohingya as soon as the mainstream gets upset about Western Sahara."

"I will get upset about the Western Sahara as soon as the mainstream gets upset about Tibet."

"I will get upset about TIbet as soon as..."

Right now the first thing I do every morning is check that certain friends of mine are still alive. It's terrifying. I don't know how to help them. I feel paralysed. They are not some abstract political issue or just a smudge on a map - they are real people living in this situation and they need kindness and prayers. There is always an excuse to care less about such-and-such a group if you really want to find one, but as Jesus didn't give us a quota of people we can care about, I don't see why we would want excuses - unless privately, in our heart of hearts, we believe that some lives aren't worth quite as much as others.

Seriously, Catherine, how would you feel if someone wrote such a callous dismissal of the rights and sufferings of the teenagers you take in? Because there are people out there who would do so. You know that. This makes me surprised that you would do it yourself.

Edited by beatitude

This is why I hate getting into political debates on this subject, expressed in one line.

"I will get upset about Mosul as soon as the mainstream gets upset about the Rohingya."

"I will get upset about the Rohingya as soon as the mainstream gets upset about Western Sahara."

"I will get upset about the Western Sahara as soon as the mainstream gets upset about Tibet."

"I will get upset about TIbet as soon as..."

Right now the first thing I do every morning is check that certain friends of mine are still alive. It's terrifying. I don't know how to help them. I feel paralysed. They are not some abstract political issue or just a smudge on a map - they are real people living in this situation and they need kindness and prayers. There is always an excuse to care less about such-and-such a group if you really want to find one, but as Jesus didn't give us a quota of people we can care about, I don't see why we would want excuses - unless privately, in our heart of hearts, we believe that some lives aren't worth quite as much as others.

Seriously, Catherine, how would you feel if someone wrote such a callous dismissal of the rights and sufferings of the teenagers you take in? Because there are people out there who would do so. You know that.

I was being sarcastic. I'm sorry. I suspect I wrote that when tired. I actually spent yesterday at the legislative grounds with some friends from Little Lebanon at a Gaza protest. I even joined them at an Iftar buffet later to break their Ramadan sawm.

It's OK. :) I am also more likely to turn sarcastic when tired and worried, and I know you have a lot on your plate at the moment.

It's OK. :) I am also more likely to turn sarcastic when tired and worried, and I know you have a lot on your plate at the moment.

I spent today trying to explain to one of Austin's students that I'm not a racist. One of the kids books I wrote this summer was about a girl having trouble finding a bone marrow donor match because she is mixed race. She said it was racist to discuss issues faced by mixed race children.