An Old School Catholic Message Board

Using Condoms As Balloon Animals At An Adult Party (not That Kind Of A

Ice_nine

Condom balloon animals  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

brandelynmarie

It's taking a sinful thing & bringing good out of it. :) Who doesn't love balloon animals?

In general, people who do this sort of thing are mocking Catholic teaching.  It would not be prudent to do something that has a good chance of being perceived as mocking the Church.

Nihil Obstat

I know this is kind of a jokey thread, but:

Purchasing condoms would certainly constitute material cooperation, albeit (I think) remote.

Since there is clearly no necessity to buy condoms to make balloon animals, such cooperation cannot, IMO, be justified. I do not think it would constitute mortal sin, but I think it would be objectively venially sinful.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

dairygirl4u2c

yes but contraceptives like condoms are not considered inherently sinful, right? that is, they can be used by catholic standards licitly between a married couple, in certain contexts, to my understanding? they wouldn't properly be 'contraceptives' given theyd be for another purpose.

so given they are not inherently sinful, how could it be said to be wrong to buy them for balloon making purposes?

Nihil Obstat

yes but contraceptives like condoms are not considered inherently sinful, right? that is, they can be used by catholic standards licitly between a married couple, in certain contexts, to my understanding? they wouldn't properly be 'contraceptives' given theyd be for another purpose.

so given they are not inherently sinful, how could it be said to be wrong to buy them for balloon making purposes?

Given that buying condoms is direct, if minor, support for the company itself, and given that these companies stand for values that are diametrically opposed to Catholic values, I think that material support in the form of purchasing their product does constitute minor material support for their objectively evil activities.

dairygirl4u2c

i can't think of when it's permissible, but isn't sometimes permissible for a married couple to use condoms?

if the above is true, and as a general question, are condoms considered inherently immoral?

if they are not inherently immoral, i don't see how it'd be wrong to buy them, even if they are usually used for immoral purposes.

Nihil Obstat

i can't think of when it's permissible, but isn't sometimes permissible for a married couple to use condoms?

if the above is true, and as a general question, are condoms considered inherently immoral?

if they are not inherently immoral, i don't see how it'd be wrong to buy them, even if they are usually used for immoral purposes.

I cannot think of an instance when it could be permissible for a married couple to use condoms.

If it was necessary to test the male's sperm for infertility related reasons I think it might be permissible to use a modified condom with holes that would allow the act to remain procreative. But those would presumably not be off the shelf condoms.

But the point I tried to make is that a condom company is essentially 100% opposed to Catholic moral doctrine, therefore I do not think material cooperation can be justified without serious cause. Purchasing condoms gives money directly to the condom company, and of that money quite probably 100% of it goes towards evil purposes. Being generous, *perhaps* 0.00001% of it is used for morally neutral purposes. With such an overwhelming majority of the actions of that company being objectively evil, I think it would take quite a bit more than "fun balloon animals" to justify material support.