An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Doesn't Protestantism Have A Big Monastic And Mystic Tradition

Kia ora

I know that there are some Lutheran monks and so forth, but I think it's not big.

Could someone who knows something about Christian history tell me why?

Basilisa Marie

A lot of it has to do with their theology, and reasons why they broke away from Catholicism. The Protestant denominations that are closer to Catholicism in one way or another tend to also be the ones that have more religious (i.e. Lutherans, Anglicans), wheras the ones that followed more "reformed" thinkers like Calvin and Zwingli don't. It also has a lot to do with the ways they view the "structure" of the Church, and what it means for the individual Christian to be part of that community. 

CountrySteve21

Lutherans have monks? I thought Luther thought monasteries were "worthless" 

Pax 

Pax 

Well, he used to BE a monk, so maybe that's where he got that idea. But a lot of monasteries at the time had fallen into decadence.

Nihil Obstat

Pax 

Welp, as their schism showed, they are not exactly great with authority figures. Even their own. ;)

dairygirl4u2c

it's probably largely because the focus of the catholic church is salvation by works. i realize that that is over simplifying it, and the real difference between catholics and prots is more of an academic thing than something that should influence people's lives. but still, when the focus is on works, at least to the average person... then they are going to have monastic traditions that focus on achieving perfection, and such.

as far as the mysticism, i don't know. the Catholic Church has a lot of 'bling' associated with it. so that often i would think would lend itself to a mystical tradition. when you take away the core tenants of an ancient church like the Catholic Church, it takes away the need for bling, and the consequent mysticism. i mean, the bling is mostly for psychology's sake, not somehting inherently necessary.

with that said, on both points of mysticism and monasticism, i should think protestants should have more. perhaps there's something to be said about the Catholic Church that it can stake claim to that stuff.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

protestant charismatics have mysticism. it probably has a lot ot do with the fact that prots generally don't involve themselves with bling, or mysticism. if you involve yourself with it, then you show the fruits of that.

dairygirl4u2c

if you look under mysticism on wikipedia, and then under protestantism, it basically says what i said..

"As part of the Protestant Reformation, theologians turned away from the traditions developed in the Middle Ages and returned to biblical and early church sources. Accordingly, they were often skeptical of Catholic mystical practices, which seemed to them to downplay the role of grace in redemption and to support the idea that human works can play a role in salvation, and which also seemed to come from post-biblical sources and practices. However, Quakers, Anglicans, Methodists, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Pentecostals and Charismatics have in various ways remained open to the idea of mystical experiences."

Edited by dairygirl4u2c