An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vegan/veggie/meat?

maximillion

maximillion

Posting mainly in response to some stuff goin' on VS about veggie communities......

Which 'denomination' are you?

Is this for ethical/dietary/other reasons?

If you are a non-meat person is there an occasion when you would eat meat ( out of consideration for others for example).

I eat meat. There have been long periods in my life when I didn't, only one of those times was in the convent.

I don't eat 'red' meat....beef, sheep or goat, but I do eat bacon and poultry.

I love fish and prefer it to meat.

If I have red meat it makes me incredibly drowsy and uses 80% of my energy for me to process it so I get really sluggish.

If you eat flesh, would you be willing to hunt/kill/butcher it yourself. (I have done all three).

I eat meat.  However, I find conventional methods of raising meat animal objectionable, so I generally eat meat from alternative sources.  I am willing to hunt/kill/butcher the meat that I eat.

blazeingstar

My biggest concern is both for food saftey and human worker safety.

I am willing to butcher/kill what I eat, but i like it better when my dad hunts the vennison and Tillie's on the hill butchers it and seals it in nice meal-sized portions.  mostly becuase i cannot possibly be as efficent as Tillie's.

I strongly am opposed to people who think they are doing the world a favor by being vegetarian then buy beans from Guatamala where some 8yo is being paid 10 cents to work a 80 hour week.

ChristianGirlForever

Being an Orthodox, twice a week and during fast periods I eat vegan. It's definitely a sacrifice, as I love animal products (eggs, dairy, poultry, seafood, and red meat). I swear I feel like a rabbit on those days. Lol. Still, it gets me eating more vegetables than normal.

I agree with what BlazingStar said about worker safety and care. I shop at Whole Foods, buying humanely raised meat Fair-Trade whenever possible. It disturbs me when a person is more concerned with "animal rights," advocating a vegan lifestyle when out of the other side of their mouth they are in favor of abortion. There is something seriously wrong with that picture.

ChristianGirlForever

Being an Orthodox, twice a week and during fast periods I eat vegan. It's definitely a sacrifice, as I love animal products (eggs, dairy, poultry, seafood, and red meat). I swear I feel like a rabbit on those days. Lol. Still, it gets me eating more vegetables than normal.

I agree with what BlazingStar said about worker safety and care. I shop at Whole Foods, buying humanely raised meat Fair-Trade whenever possible. It disturbs me when a person is more concerned with "animal rights," advocating a vegan lifestyle when out of the other side of their mouth they are in favor of abortion. There is something seriously wrong with that picture.

Anastasia13

Posting mainly in response to some stuff goin' on VS about veggie communities......

If you are a non-meat person is there an occasion when you would eat meat ( out of consideration for others for example).

I eat meat. There have been long periods in my life when I didn't, only one of those times was in the convent.

I don't eat 'red' meat....beef, sheep or goat, but I do eat bacon and poultry.

I love fish and prefer it to meat.

If I have red meat it makes me incredibly drowsy and uses 80% of my energy for me to process it so I get really sluggish.

If you eat flesh, would you be willing to hunt/kill/butcher it yourself. (I have done all three).

I am vegetarian-friendly, occasionally semi-vegetarian, but I have family members who need meat  I prefer meat to be organic, humanly raised and slaughtered. I wold opt for a more kosher diet if I could because it is familiar and healthy and doesn't eat garbage. If it was up to me, I would eat more vegetarian but not totally, and I would request assistance in slaughtering as needed but assist in killing my own food. I've grown squeamish to blood again.

ChristianGirlForever

I am vegetarian-friendly, occasionally semi-vegetarian, but I have family members who need meat I prefer meat to be organic, humanly raised and slaughtered. I wold opt for a more kosher diet if I could because it is familiar and healthy and doesn't eat garbage. If it was up to me, I would eat more vegetarian but not totally, and I would request assistance in slaughtering as needed but assist in killing my own food. I've grown squeamish to blood again.

Whole Foods has Halal and kosher meats. I love Indian food, and I feel better about eating the Halal Indian frozen meals because they're kinder to the animals, from what I've read. They also don't feed them artificial growth hormones or antibiotics. I believe this is against kosher practice, too, but I'm not sure.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQynViAF6Ds[/media]

Edited by Socrates

HisChildForever

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years now. No fish; yes dairy.

Ethical reasons, if you can apply ethics to animals (I see ethics as being more...people related).

I have absolutely no interest in ever eating meat again. The thought alone makes me queasy. If pregnant and strongly advised by the doctor then I would do fish. If I was told to eat something like chicken I would not eat over what was necessary and I truly would have to force myself. The thought bothers me a bit because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep it down. Honestly the thought of eating animals completely disgusts me so I'll probably gag and/or throw up if it comes to that.

Anastasia13

Whole Foods has Halal and kosher meats. I love Indian food, and I feel better about eating the Halal Indian frozen meals because they're kinder to the animals, from what I've read. They also don't feed them artificial growth hormones or antibiotics. I believe this is against kosher practice, too, but I'm not sure.

We could be friends.

Anastasia13

What are your favorite Indian dishes?

i'm non-denominational but i go to a penecostal church.

i'm a vegetarian for religious reasons (ethical and dietary all come under that).

i would eat meat if i knew that the animal it had come from had lived a life that honoured god the creator. if i was in a village in the peruvian highlands where livestock is raised locally, traditionally, then i would eat meat if they offered it to me and if they would take offense at my not eating.

i don't really see a reason for myself to hunt for meat in the kind of society i live in (first world), when i can simply eat vegetarian food.

some people need to eat meat. and i would never look down on them for doing so. but i don't see why *I* should eat meat.

Edited by Kia ora

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years now. No fish; yes dairy.

Ethical reasons, if you can apply ethics to animals (I see ethics as being more...people related).

I have absolutely no interest in ever eating meat again. The thought alone makes me queasy. If pregnant and strongly advised by the doctor then I would do fish. If I was told to eat something like chicken I would not eat over what was necessary and I truly would have to force myself. The thought bothers me a bit because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep it down. Honestly the thought of eating animals completely disgusts me so I'll probably gag and/or throw up if it comes to that.

what would you do if you felt called to a religious vocation?

Credo in Deum

She would submit herself to God's will, however, since God seems to be calling her to the married life, I don't think she is going to have to worry about this anytime soon.