An Old School Catholic Message Board

Birthday Cake, Scratch Or Store-bought

add

Birthday cake  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

two BD's this week monday (30 y.o.) and today, my youngest (27y.o.)

i got him six halfmoons, three vanilla cake and three chocolate cake from a local bakery.  everything is baked on the premises. :eat:

no candles 

Edited by add

Anastasia13

The question isn't is it home made or store bought. It's whether or not it is red velvet cake.

It is said that if the birthday person blows out all the candles at once that they will receive one wish in addition to a gift(s)

What do you wish for?

ChristianGirlForever

What's your definition of 'from scratch"? Do you mean you made all the ingredients yourself? Do you mean you bought cake mix in a box and baked it? Because one is truly "from scratch", and the other not. However, I greatly enjoy the cake mixes that come in a box. I hate buying cakes from bakeries, because people always O.D. on frosting. Frosting is a complimentary taste, not the focus of the flavor. Bakeries put 3 inches of frosting on, and it makes me gag because it tastes so awful and creamy.

I was raised to believe that it meant you didn't use a mix. You measured out, sifted, creamed, combined, and baked.

photosynthesis

From scratch.  My favorite cake to make is called "Depression cake" and mixes in one bowl.  Technically the recipe is vegan, but for some reason the cake still manages to be rich (and a cure for depression)

wish I were making some right now!

Catherine Therese

to all the purists out there...

cake is cake.
and life can be crazy. 

sure, home-made cake is fantastic!

but store-bought certainly doesn't indicate a lack of love, and as CMAD indicated, box-cake need not indicate a lack of culinary creativity.

a cake that is fresh baked in your kitchen as opposed to a cake that has been sitting on a store shelf chuck full of preservatives is what I'm talking about

you also don't get to lick the frosting bowl and beaters with store bought cake :cake: either

My answer to this question would depend on the skill of the cook. ;) I'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet.

Seriously, my cakes are very hit-and-miss (or should that be hit-and-run?) and it's better for all concerned that I buy them from a shop. :P

ChristianGirlForever

Box mixes taste better than homemade.

Sue me.

You're probably used to the taste of the artificial flavors that are quite strong in most main-stream cake mixes.

I remember when I invited my co-workers to try artisanal all-natural root-beer and they all said it didn't taste like root beer and was too mild. They liked it as a drink, just not as root beer. They were used to the regular artificially-flavored stuff.

It all depends on what you're used to. For me, if I have something with artificial flavors, including cake mixes, I taste it in my mouth for quite awhile---an acrid, weird, acidic taste in my mouth. To each his own.