An Old School Catholic Message Board

Birthday Cake, Scratch Or Store-bought

add

Birthday cake  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It only counts as "from scratch" if you grew and/or produced each individual ingredient yourself. So at the very minimum you need farmland with a well, wheat, and some method of obtaining sugar. Sugarcane perhaps, honey, sugar beets, you get the idea. Plus you need grazing land for dairy cows, not to be confused with Dairygirl, as well as some space for chickens. In terms of equipment, some sort of gristmill and, depending on your method of obtaining sugar, perhaps the necessary equipment to refine it. Given that, honey may be more cost effective on a somewhat smaller scale, but I would not know since I am not a farmer or beekeeper. Also I am not sure how you would make icing using honey as your sweetener. I am sure it is possible, but I have no idea how difficult it may or may not be.

Anything less is pure damnable cheating!

:notworthy:

OnlySunshine

It only counts as "from scratch" if you grew and/or produced each individual ingredient yourself. So at the very minimum you need farmland with a well, wheat, and some method of obtaining sugar. Sugarcane perhaps, honey, sugar beets, you get the idea. Plus you need grazing land for dairy cows, not to be confused with Dairygirl, as well as some space for chickens. In terms of equipment, some sort of gristmill and, depending on your method of obtaining sugar, perhaps the necessary equipment to refine it. Given that, honey may be more cost effective on a somewhat smaller scale, but I would not know since I am not a farmer or beekeeper. Also I am not sure how you would make icing using honey as your sweetener. I am sure it is possible, but I have no idea how difficult it may or may not be.

Anything less is pure damnable cheating!

:rolleyes:

PhuturePriest

Carl Sagan is overrated and preached a debunked scientific theory as though it were fact.

Carl Sagan is overrated and preached a debunked scientific theory as though it were fact.

You sound like an expert.

I heard Newton studied Alchemy! 

eyrt5tery_zps7dec6498.gif

PhuturePriest

You sound like an expert.

The theory of a constantly expanding and contracting universe has been debunked. It's fine Carl Sagan personally believed it, but he preached it as if it were fact and not mere scientific theory.

Oh, and phrases like "Billions and billions of star stuff." are obviously the mark of an expert in the scientific field.

Nihil watches really girly animes and no one questions his authority. I call shenanigans. 

PhuturePriest

Nihil watches really girly animes and no one questions his authority. I call shenanigans. 

Girly animes are the best kind.

Though I do question why he is able to watch girly animes and My Little Pony and no one questions it, but I make a thread about One Direction and shaving my legs and everyone thinks I'm gay. :P

Nihil Obstat

Because my authority is on a far deeper level than my words or actions. My entire being exudes an air on unquestionable authority so strong that anyone inclined to question it instead questions their own sense of reality. In a certain metaphysical sense, my authority is the paradoxical embodiment of the dasein.

Or perhaps it is my maverick devil-may-care attitude and rakish good looks. 

300px-MarkTwain.jpg

Dancing_Troll_gif.gif

southern california guy

"If you wish to make an birthday cake from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Some Sciency Person

giphy.gif

"Billions and billions..."!

You know ... you can do the modified box cake :).  Add pudding (or save a step -- buy the one with pudding).  Vanilla.  Make it an upside-down pineapple rum cake.  Add cream instead of milk.  Make sure to use butter instead of oil.  Or ... use both.  But not olive oil (that may not taste that good).

At what age do you stop individual candles, with my kids I think it was 10 or 12

My favorite cake is chocolate, with chocolate chips and chocolate icing with chocolate chips in the iceing

maximillion

I swapped out eating cake made from the usual stuff to ones using vegan ingredients (and mainly raw) and have lost 28lbs in 14 weeks.

Yes, it is true I had it to lose, but this is the first time I have ever lost weight and kept it off - oh, and I went low GI in general too and am feeling the benefits.

At what age do you stop individual candles, with my kids I think it was 10 or 12

My favorite cake is chocolate, with chocolate chips and chocolate icing with chocolate chips in the iceing

Actually I think celebrating specific decades showing ALL the candles would be cool.

Think -- 30, 40, 50, 60.

I would however make sure to have a fire extinguisher at hand in case the candles sort of get a mind of their own.