An Old School Catholic Message Board

Birthday Cake, Scratch Or Store-bought

add

Birthday cake  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

KnightofChrist

"If you wish to make an birthday cake from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Some Sciency Person

Credo in Deum

"If you wish to make an birthday cake from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Some Sciency Person

giphy.gif

PhuturePriest

I add an extra Catholicy part to the Happy Birthday song. You do the first lame part, and then when usually everyone is done, you go "And may the Dear Lord bless you, and the Blessed Mother, too. May your Patron Saint *name* keep watch over you."

SOME sciency person?

I AM ASHAMED OF YOU

OnlySunshine

My birthday is coming up at the end of the month, coincidently, and I think that store bought tastes better than homemade - most of the time.  The exception to the rule was when my grandmother made me a peppermint candy cake every year and my sister a peanut butter cake.  I cannot have wheat anymore and most gluten-free flour is too dense for cakes.  I asked my mom to get me a big chocolate chip cookie cake either from the gluten-free bakery or made with pre-made gluten-free cookie dough (like Pillsbury or Immaculate).  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

PhuturePriest

What's your definition of 'from scratch"? Do you mean you made all the ingredients yourself? Do you mean you bought cake mix in a box and baked it? Because one is truly "from scratch", and the other not. However, I greatly enjoy the cake mixes that come in a box. I hate buying cakes from bakeries, because people always O.D. on frosting. Frosting is a complimentary taste, not the focus of the flavor. Bakeries put 3 inches of frosting on, and it makes me gag because it tastes so awful and creamy.

OnlySunshine

What's your definition of 'from scratch"? Do you mean you made all the ingredients yourself? Do you mean you bought cake mix in a box and baked it? Because one is truly "from scratch", and the other not. However, I greatly enjoy the cake mixes that come in a box. I hate buying cakes from bakeries, because people always O.D. on frosting. Frosting is a complimentary taste, not the focus of the flavor. Bakeries put 3 inches of frosting on, and it makes me gag because it tastes so awful and creamy.

I think "from scratch" means putting all the ingredients together yourself or at least making the ingredients your own like adding stuff (pineapple or other additions) to the cake mix.  My mom makes something called Pig Pickin cake and she uses yellow cake mix and then adds all sorts of stuff like mandarin oranges, cherries, and pineapples.  That, I think, is definitely homemade - just with a little help.

Frosting, when done right, tastes good.  My favorite is vanilla buttercream.  Walmart's bakery makes a disgusting frosting that you can tell is fake - it's too sugary and chemical-tasting.  I don't like food dyes as I am allergic to red dye and really, no one should be eating food dye as the synthetic stuff is pumped full of nasty chemicals.  It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it tastes good.  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

PhuturePriest

I think "from scratch" means putting all the ingredients together yourself or at least making the ingredients your own like adding stuff (pineapple or other additions) to the cake mix.  My mom makes something called Pig Pickin cake and she uses yellow cake mix and then adds all sorts of stuff like mandarin oranges, cherries, and pineapples.  That, I think, is definitely homemade - just with a little help.

Frosting, when done right, tastes good.  My favorite is vanilla buttercream.  Walmart's bakery makes a disgusting frosting that you can tell is fake - it's too sugary and chemical-tasting.  I don't like food dyes as I am allergic to red dye and really, no one should be eating food dye as the synthetic stuff is pumped full of nasty chemicals.  It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it tastes good.  ;)

I just don't like frosting in general. I am highly sensitive to taste, so I can't generally eat things which have super strong flavor. My favorite cake is chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, but even then, the frosting can't be more than half an inch thick, or I'll gag when trying to eat it.

KnightofChrist

SOME sciency person?

I AM ASHAMED OF YOU

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, I'm just saygan...  :dance5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, I'm just saygan...  :dance5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

ROFL

Just saygan. I knew I liked you!

Nihil Obstat

It only counts as "from scratch" if you grew and/or produced each individual ingredient yourself. So at the very minimum you need farmland with a well, wheat, and some method of obtaining sugar. Sugarcane perhaps, honey, sugar beets, you get the idea. Plus you need grazing land for dairy cows, not to be confused with Dairygirl, as well as some space for chickens. In terms of equipment, some sort of gristmill and, depending on your method of obtaining sugar, perhaps the necessary equipment to refine it. Given that, honey may be more cost effective on a somewhat smaller scale, but I would not know since I am not a farmer or beekeeper. Also I am not sure how you would make icing using honey as your sweetener. I am sure it is possible, but I have no idea how difficult it may or may not be.

Anything less is pure damnable cheating!