An Old School Catholic Message Board

Things You Wished You Had Learned To Do...

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

...prior to entering. :nun: I know you are taught much as you go along in religious life, but were there things you wished you had practiced or taken classes on before entering? For example, I'm seriously thinking of taking knitting classes :hehe:

OnlySunshine

I'm not planning to enter anytime soon but I really hope to take piano lessons and/or violin lessons.  I've always liked both instruments and never learned how to play them.  I know the flute and oboe but I thought it would be so cool to learn a string instrument.  I've tried the guitar and didn't like it.

...prior to entering. :nun: I know you are taught much as you go along in religious life, but were there things you wished you had practiced or taken classes on before entering? For example, I'm seriously thinking of taking knitting classes :hehe:

It certainly can't hurt, says a fanatic knitter/crocheter/embroiderer*.  Skills such as these are not only relaxing, they can actually have a concrete value for a community [Sister Faith's socks!], either in the community itself or if the community has a shop which sells items made by the sisters.

Some years ago I began making baby blankets because I can't watch TV without something in my hands ["idle hands are the Devil's workshop"].  My daughter gives them as presents to her friends, who are all in the "reproductive" years, and it saves her a huge amount in terms of buying gifts as well as being unique.

All sorts of skilled hobbies can be parlayed into valuable contributions to a community, not just knitting.  Book binding, or even woodcarving might have unexpected uses.

*I've never smoked, but I tell people I'm a "three pack a day" knitter.

brandelynmarie

Very :joecool: I learn music almost totally by rote...I can barely read music at all! I'm good at following a strong singer though...I remember when I was going into the fifth grade my mom asked me if I wanted to play an instrument or sing in the choir. According to my 10 year-old logic, I thought singing would be better since I didn't need to carry an instrument! Now I think it would be cool to learn the harpsichord :blush:

:harp: <--close enough, lol

Edited by brandelynmarie

AccountDeleted

I wish I had learned to play the organ and to sight sing. I can read music and play beginner level piano and can sing if I have someone strong singing beside me, but I do wish I had learned these things so I had more confidence and could contribute more in the music area.

I would say I wish I could hand sew, but the fact is that I am simply all thumbs in that area and will never learn. I can use a sewing machine and sew on a button but I can't hand sew a straight line to save my life.The sister in charge of mending the linens at one convent despaired of ever teaching me - she just couldn't understand why all of my mending lines were all over the place. But I can crochet, so it isn't a motor co-ordination thing - maybe it is psychological! :p

brandelynmarie

;) Who knows? My grandmother would shake her head every time I attempted ironing...I put more wrinkles in than I took out! But I'm willing to learn...I think if I start now with knitting & sewing...I may have a basic grasp of it within the next year or so... :)

Spem in alium

My knitting and sewing are passable. I like to embroider, and have made some pieces I've been happy with, but don't do it nearly enough to make it a skill. 

I would love to have learned an instrument - maybe cello - and learned another language. I was almost going to learn Swahili at one point, but sadly I had conflicting classes  :cry: The Sisters I'm hoping to enter with are mostly Polish, so I may have the opportunity to learn that - but as far as I can see and from what I've been told, it's the most difficult thing to master as there are next to no vowels. 

I can say "Hello", "Sister" and "God" in Polish though, so I'm well on the way.  :hehe2:

Let's see...assuming I enter at some point in the next few years, I would like to become fluent in German, to learn a craft like woodworking, and to learn accounting and financial management. Learning how to handle money properly would help inside and outside of a community.

maximillion

Try any of the following (!!!)

IT skills, web maintenance/building.

Basic electrics - how to safely change a plug/fuse/re -wire/insulate.

Knitting.

Crochet

Sewing  by hand/machine/embroidery/basic dressmaking/fitting a zip.

Basic plumbing - fixing a dripping tap/checking the water/sceptic tank.

Basic veg/flower growing.

Basic husbandry (no silly, for animals!) Something about chickens, goats, cows. Can you milk?

Basic food preservation - jamming/canning/pickling/blanching food for freezing.

Basic cookery including making bread and cookies.

Some understanding of music or instrument/singing.

You might like to work on your voice production/public speaking as everyone gets to read aloud in refectory or in chapel.

Then there's prayer, you might have some time left over for that!

brandelynmarie

Oh my! Y'all around like Renaissance people! Well, I'll start with knitting & work my way on down :hehe2:

maximillion

:saint2:  Sainthood a sure thing if you can manage to do them ALL.......

(but then you wouldn't have time to enter!! :hehe2: )

brandelynmarie

My knitting and sewing are passable. I like to embroider, and have made some pieces I've been happy with, but don't do it nearly enough to make it a skill.

I would love to have learned an instrument - maybe cello - and learned another language. I was almost going to learn Swahili at one point, but sadly I had conflicting classes :cry: The Sisters I'm hoping to enter with are mostly Polish, so I may have the opportunity to learn that - but as far as I can see and from what I've been told, it's the most difficult thing to master as there are next to no vowels.

I can say "Hello", "Sister" and "God" in Polish though, so I'm well on the way. :hehe2:

I once learned a few Polish phrases from a little old Italian lady...I think it was: How are you? & Good! It sounded like "keeshimash?" & "dobre!" No clue :)

OnlySunshine

I'm fulfilling one of my wishes now - getting a Bachelor's degree.  I've studied for over 10 years off and on and it was time to finally buckle down and earn what I've been waiting so long for.  I will graduate in December 2015!! Praise GOD!

One other thing I wish I could learn is how to draw or paint.  I tried several times but my attempts never come out right.  I even took an art class in junior high but barely passed because I just don't have that talent.  :(

Spem in alium

I once learned a few Polish phrases from a little old Italian lady...I think it was: How are you? & Good! It sounded like "keeshimash?" & "dobre!" No clue :)

Haha, yes :) "Good" is "dobry", and "How are you?"...well, I have no clue either. :P

I can speak Italian passably (I was a lot more fluent a few years ago) - "Come stai?" and "Bene" - much less complicated!