An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shootings In America

CatholicsAreKewl

dairygirl4u2c

"I want to be perfectly clear. I am not much of a firearms enthusiast. I don’t own a firearm. I’ve only ever been shooting twice. For me it’s not an issue of gun rights. It’s about property rights. A person has a natural right to own a hunk of iron in any damn shape they want, and they shouldn’t be criminalized until they use that hunk of iron to harm someone. People can argue crime statistics ’till they’re blue in face. I frankly don’t care about people’s ideas for managing society."

there's something to be said about managing society, though. if people had hand held nuclear devices, you can guarantee that almost no one would be following the above logic. it's only a matter of degree, between nukes, and guns.

i'm not even one that wants to get rid of guns necesssarily. liberally preventing people from having them? sure. the fewer there are on the streets, the better of everyone is. to put it colloquially. to put it more scientifically, the more likely a person, state, or nation is to have guns, the more likely it is for there to be not only gun murders, but murders in general.

"I want to be perfectly clear. I am not much of a firearms enthusiast. I don’t own a firearm. I’ve only ever been shooting twice. For me it’s not an issue of gun rights. It’s about property rights. A person has a natural right to own a hunk of iron in any beaver dam shape they want, and they shouldn’t be criminalized until they use that hunk of iron to harm someone. People can argue crime statistics ’till they’re blue in face. I frankly don’t care about people’s ideas for managing society."

there's something to be said about managing society, though. if people had hand held nuclear devices, you can guarantee that almost no one would be following the above logic. it's only a matter of degree, between nukes, and guns.

i'm not even one that wants to get rid of guns necesssarily. liberally preventing people from having them? sure. the fewer there are on the streets, the better of everyone is. to put it colloquially. to put it more scientifically, the more likely a person, state, or nation is to have guns, the more likely it is for there to be not only gun murders, but murders in general. 

Why do you believe you possess the right to initiate violence?

dairygirl4u2c

well, considering i don't want to get rid of guns at this point, because others have initiated violence first. the only people who should be prevented from having guns, are those with some sort of violent record. and i would be liberal about applying it, with some leniency after time and such of course.

my hand held nuke thing isn't completely analogous, cause those are huge disasters waiting to happen. but there's something to be said about it, as a only a matter of degree. it is a big degree of difference though, so i wouldn't get rid of all guns, at least right now in our society.